Bogo iPhone 8 offer coming soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jharvey71884, Sep 22, 2017.

1. jharvey71884 macrumors 6502

With so many people waiting until X, do you think stores offer a bogo offer pretty quick? Like, right around the time the X comes to pre-order?

I know AT&T has one, but it requires Direct.

My wife and I have a 6s 64GB. We took advantage of a Sprint bogo, so we pay only a few dollars a month on her phone. We still owe around $190. I'm willing to give up the credit every month on her phone to get 8+. Our batteries are shot and I know I could sell the phones for more than we owe.

But just curious if people think stores are going to have to push a bogo offer to keep sales up on the iPhone 8 series. I'm wiling to go to any carrier that offers the 8+ at the best deal.

2. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

No.

Why encourage the purchase of the 8/8+ at an even lower price when there is likely enough demand for the X to cannibalize 8/8+ sales?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt it, and bundling in satellite dish service is not really a BOGO.

4. konicky macrumors regular

What's a bogo offer? Buy one get one doesn't seem like much of a deal to me !! :)

5. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors 6502

You bring up a great point.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

"Buy one and get one free" isn't much of a deal to you?

Have you seen better?

7. Droidbricker Suspended

Droidbricker

Bogo’s were 2016 brah, now it’s all about bill credits.

8. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I may bite if they offer free 8 with 6 trade in.

9. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

This doesn't make sense to me...people are likely waiting to buy the X and the X will likely be in short supply and there will probably be many extra 8s available because of the X...those are exactly the reasons retailers offer discounts and sales, especially considering the reports that say there is more of a margin on the 8/8+ than the X as well.

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If sales of the ip8 are weak...we might see some great deals later.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    I don't understand your post.

11. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

The small lines at stores and ample inventory of the 8/8+ today are no surprise to anyone. I do not see why people expect the 8/8+ to go on BOGO just because so many people seem to want the X instead.

Carriers/Retailers adjust orders based on demand. They know the X is the flagship phone so they likely adjusted their 8/8+ ordering accordingly to not be stuck. The short supply of the X won't prevent carriers/retailers from taking more back orders.

If in fact there is a smaller margin on the X, then why discount the 8/8+ by half with a BOGO? That kills the margin and more than likely results in a loss for the carrier/retailer.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont get your post either.
    I agree that such an offer would cannibalize iPhone X sales big time.
    People are already uneasy with the high price tag of the iphone X as is.
    Then you throw in a buy one get one offer for the iphone 8 and its a wrap.
    Should we buy 2 of those new iphone X devices for $2000 or get 2 iPhone 8 models for $400 each with that BOGO offer?
    Would be a no brainer.

13. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

Things go on sale when retailers or manufacturers want to boost sales. If less people are buying the 8 because they are waiting for the most likely severely supply constrained X then it makes perfect sense to discount the 8 more than it already is. If the X is constrained they won't want to encourage more people to buy it, they will want people to buy the 8

14. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

When was the last time Apple discounted their current model iPhone?

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you think AT&T, or any other major corporation is going to BOGO on the new phone and it not cost you more, you are dreaming. BOGO is just smoke and mirrors.

16. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

Well Apple typically doesn't do that, but for example last year most of the US carriers offered the iPhone 7 for free with a trade in. Being that I am not in the industry I can only assume that was because they thought demand would be low since there was no redesign from the 6 and 6s.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Obviously but typically all they do is lock you into having that phone on a line for at least a year. T-Mobile just had a BOGO offer on the Note 8 and the requirement was you need to do a payment plan on a new line for it so really not costing you more if you were already planning on a new line.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

T-Mobile did it and all other carriers followed.
    And no it wasn't because they thought the i7 demand was going to be low.
    T-Mobile did it to entice new subscribers away from the other wireless carriers.
    The iPhone 7 so far has been the highest sold iPhone.

18. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

That’s not a BOGO.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You are asking the wrong question.

It should be: Will we see deals offered by the carriers on the ip8/+?

And I am positive we will...just wait for it.

20. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Haven't BOGOs been in the form of bill credits? For example, you buy one and get one free as long as the second phone is a new line (can't upgrade two existing lines and get BOGO). The free phone shows up on your bill in the form of the monthly equipment installation plan cost with the same amount as a bill credit. But if you leave the carrier before the 24- or 30-month agreement is up, you lose the bill credits (meaning you will owe the outstanding amount).

I haven't come across a BOGO offer that makes sense for people with an existing plan who don't want to add a new line.

21. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I think the att directv one is with existing lines.

22. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I would expect free or $1 6s and 7's as the supply line is plentiful .

23. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. What I’m facing with my current sprint boho. Get a $27 credit each month for one line.

24. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I just want a deal on the iPhone 7 plus 128 but I'd rather wait till Black Friday and see if there are any good deals on the 7 or the 8 256 gb.

25. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

Sorry described it wrong. You do a payment plan on one phone but not the other