Bone to pick with the iPhone OS UI

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, Jul 27, 2009.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

So I've been a loyal iPhone user since the 1st Gen iPhone, I had a 3G and now I have a 3GS... let me tell you, the functionality of this phone is seriously amazing. It pretty much does everything I want it to do and some more. except MMS (coming soon) haha. but anyways what I can no longer stand about this phone is the UI... its BEYOND outdated. We need more features and core application updates...

The message center... needs updating more features maybe even incorporate some ideas from blackberry and palm about having all your messages in one place... add some color or something to make this more functional.

the fact that you can't hide apps you don't need... this flat out sucks and is a VERY EASY thing for apple to include...

The lockscreen... sucks, we need to be able to see weather, messages, a quick glance at our day... this is obvi easily done with a jailbreak but wtf apple all this new power in the 3GS and still no simple background applications?

I need to be able to personalize my phone more...

2. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I understand where you're coming from.

The next major OS iteration (4.0) will hopefully be a completely new interface. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We really shouldn't expect anything before then (next summer I'm assuming) right?

3. mstier09 macrumors regular

This is why the jailbreaking community is so big! Each of your issues can be fixed with relatively little work once jailbroken, but being a user since 1st Gen I'm sure you've considered this. I am also amazed by apple's inability to make seemingly obvious and sensible improvements. Spotlight is great but it makes so much more sense if it would have come with the ability to hide or categorize apps in folders. If you've never thought about jailbreaking before, use purplera1n, its never been easier and improves the UI and functionality (more important) of the phone 10 fold.

4. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Couldn't agree more with you my friend. Granted the Apple fanboys will probably rip our heads off, I really hope they revamp or even add to the existing UI.

I would love some sort of home screen, a way of categorizing apps, ah, the possibilities are endless.

What I think the iPhone needs above all, and not to hijack the thread or anything, but I think we desperately need a way to multitask. Push is okay, but I don't know how good it can be in the face of multitasking.

I had this thought the other day. Imagine Apple introduced multitasking, and then you could swipe 4 fingers or so on the iPhone, which would bring up a mobile version of Expose, and you could see all your apps that are running. I don't know, just a thought, I'm sure Apple has a bunch of cool ideas.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Apple,

Please give me a lock screen that is customizable with some third party apps (todo) and your built in apps. Please also change notifications.

Thanks

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    A new fresh UI would be nice. I would like to see something more sleek, and for them to get rid of the cheese grater dock, and go back to the reflective iPod touch 1.1.3ish dock.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If I could have the UI of Android on the iPhone with multi-touch, I would be a happy camper. I used an Android G1 for the last few weeks (I forced myself to put my iPhone aside for the whole testing phase) and I was impressed. The UI, and the way the OS itself works is great. It has a desktop, and an application menu. Widgets are also a great aspect of the G1.

I strongly believe the iPhone OS needs a graphical refresh because I have been looking at the same UI since the 1st gen iPod Touch and iPhone came out.

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Look out of the window.

It's not outdated.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why would anyone want to see an analog version of the weather?

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

7 day outlook, what the high is going to be for the day, etc. There are plenty of reasons.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It is. It doesn't offer the functionality it should. You SHOULD be able to see information at a glance, especially on a screen that is probably blank to begin with. It's not complicated. Notifications, which I guess is part of the UI, also suck so that can be changed.

He was making a joke and agreeing with you.

13. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Can anyone tell me the last time weather reports were accurate anyways? Lol.

The interface could use some updating and some new features, however as is - it does a damn fine job and I have no gripes. I love it. Less - is - more. People forget that quickly.

As for jail breaking, isn't that the same community that always whines and complains when an app does not work, crashes, reboots or whatever? Less they forget their phones are JAIL BROKEN and apps that would normally run fine on regular iPhones will behave unexpectedly on JAIL BROKEN phones. Oh that's right, they are the first one to complain, whine, moan, and get all bent. Don't jail break your phone :)

14. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

There cannot be a good reason why we aren't able to 'theme' our phones. Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

There are plenty of reasons. One of them stands out. Can you guess what that reason is? I will give you a hint - unless Apple allows it and sets a standard, it will not be allowed, why?

There's your clue :)

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I just jailbroke last night, and this is one of only a handful of changes I made to the phone. I always thought the iPod touch dock looked classier than the iPhone's.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Just a few simple things I want

if I could run a App in the Background such as say Pandora! :rolleyes: aka Backgrounder. Add themes too my iphone I mean come on aka Winterboard and but apps in folders like say Categories I have no reason to Jailbreak! ;) am I asking to much!

18. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Apple is all out about simplicity and clean appearance. This has been Steve Jobs' mandate since he returned. Fewer buttons, clean design.

Ever hear the story about the student who asked Steve Jobs to autograph his Apple keyboard? Steve agreed, but only if he could remove all they keys that weren't necessary. The student agreed, and Steve began prying all the function keys, the number pad and a bunch of other stupid keys (print screen, etc) off the keyboard, signed it and handed it back to him.

I've honestly looked at my phone and wondered how much the external volume switches and vibrate switch probably irk Steve Jobs.

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I think a new UI will be coming next year. This will be an easy way for apple to make the next iphone look new without having to add actual new features.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The Apple Lisa came out in 1983. It used windows, menus, and a desktop.

Now, 26 years later, Snow Leopard is about to come out. It still uses windows, menus, and a desktop.

So...uhm...what makes you guys think the iPhone's interface is going to totally change after just 3 years?

21. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Well i didnt mean a completely new UI. More like a lot of cosmetic changes, but still the back UI. If it looks different, many people are going to think its new.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, I agree with that, but I doubt that sort of change will make the people who turn to jailbraking care at all. So I that sort of thing will happen, but it won't really change anything.

23. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I *personally* think jailbreaking to allow for themes is a waste. Many apps I use don't have matching icons, and most themes are so horribly thrown together its just a drag. I can forgo the themes and would just like a home screen style desktop.

24. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i agree. not to mention how ugly and how much bulk the themes add to the phone. sure they look cool the first time you do it. but honestly this is an iPhone - not a winmo phone. it's not supposed to be that ugly

some things are cool. just like some things are cool when people change their icons but i mean... come on - IMO they are not cool enough to keep.