Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Just played with it a little bit now and there are sooooo many sources of news to choose from. Looking forward to keep using it.

macbookguy

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2006
I'm just wishing I could get it working on my iPad Air. It let me pick feeds and just crashes now. *sigh*

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
You can add any website that has a RSS feed to News.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 249

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You can add any website that has a RSS feed to News.

Good catch. I'm surprised Apple didn't make this easier to do within the News app. I'm guessing it's the typical Apple 1.0 version, it's barebone for now and will expand over time.

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Tried that, but can't seem to get my region changed. Keeps giving me grief about apple music.

Got to settings>General>Language & Region>Region then select United States, then force reboot the phone and it'll appear. I'm in the UK and that's how I got it to show. surprised i had to do this though as a few of the channels listed are for UK papers.

Reactions: mattoligy

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Thanks for the tip!

But for some reason, MacRumors refuses to be added to News app no matter how many times I tap on "Add to News". Is anyone else having this issue?

I can't add anything in general. I know MR folks are looking into adding their site to News soon.

News is very unstable in this beta for me. Search is not returning anything, adding a new channel doesn't work from within News.app and so on. Hopefully, the next beta will be better. I really wish Apple would provide updates to their stock apps via the App Store.

Reactions: sniffies

iPhoneguy86

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
East Coast USA
News App just auto crashes for me. At first setup was fine it didn't really render the way it looked at WWDC but now all it does is force quit abruptly whenever I open it. Anyone else?

Reactions: jeremiah239

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I like the App overall but the "For You" articles are showing mostly sports articles but I want to see more tech and fitness articles. Seems like no matter how many articles I like, the for you articles are not curating properly

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
So you can't add paid magazine subscriptions like you can in NewsStand? Is that not a step backwards... If this app is replacing NewsStand surely it needs to support paid subscriptions and have a "News" section in the App Store!? o_O

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
My biggest disappointment with it is that during the keynote, they made it seem like everything would be formatted really nicely, and remove all the junk. Instead, the vast majority of articles, you click on it and get a small snippet, then a link to "read full article" and it just pops up a Safari container. Thanks, I could have gotten the original ad-ridden thing myself if I wanted to.

Reactions: xoAnna

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
My biggest disappointment with it is that during the keynote, they made it seem like everything would be formatted really nicely, and remove all the junk. Instead, the vast majority of articles, you click on it and get a small snippet, then a link to "read full article" and it just pops up a Safari container. Thanks, I could have gotten the original ad-ridden thing myself if I wanted to.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I hate when I have to click a second time to read an article and then there's a ton of ads and really teeny fonts.

Reactions: xoAnna

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
So you can't add paid magazine subscriptions like you can in NewsStand? Is that not a step backwards... If this app is replacing NewsStand surely it needs to support paid subscriptions and have a "News" section in the App Store!? o_O

I know, I hope this gets added in along the way. It just makes so much more sense as a newsstand replacement.

garlicbread24

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
I don't understand all the negativity. The app is in its FIRST beta and people are hating it. You guys realize this isn't even an initial release product yet right? News sources will utilize this and make formatting and things appropriate for it as we get closer to launch and as the first year cycles through. Flipboard wasn't perfect on day 1 either....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.