BOO! MBP's to have Air/MB keyboard??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BugsBunny, Oct 9, 2008.

1. BugsBunny macrumors member

Is this really what the rumor and seemingly confirmed pictures indicate? I find the MB/MBA keyboard virtually unusable, and love my MBP right now.

If they are moving in that direction with the keyboard, I better be careful with my current MBP as I'll need to use it through at least one more refresh of the product, hoping they eventually go back to a sensible keyboard!

2. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

They may be chiclets, but they may also add some key depth for better touch typing. Nobody knows until they are release...

4. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i am not a fan of these keyboards either.
    i hope apple will not continue in this direction.

5. LlamaLarry macrumors member

I was pretty stoked for the new MBPs, but I've not been a fan of chiclet keyboards since the PC Jr... I love my current keyboard and not have to actually think about whether or not to upgrade. :(

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I personally like the black/silver combination.

7. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I think I'd rather buy the late model right before the new ones come out if they have the same crappy keyboards as the MB or MBA.

8. Radioman macrumors regular

I really like my MBP keyboard too, I hope they don't mess with that too much. When I have used an air or MB I find those keyboards much less comfortable to use.

9. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I love my MB keyboard and would now find it hard to go back to the close spaced keys.

I hope the MBPs do have the same keyboard cause it will take ages to go back to else!

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Dudes... seriously... it's just a stupid keyboard, not the end of the world. I have yet to find a keyboard that's "virtually unusable". I see no big difference between typing on my PowerBooks keyboard, my iMacs keyboard, my old G4 Cubes keyboard and every other keyboard I have used.

11. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I'm no fan of the macbook air's keyboard either but I have to admit that the current mbp's keyboard looks a little dated...

12. deltaiscain macrumors regular

Actually the macbook air's keyboard is pretty nice, except for the color. However i totally don't like the macbook's keyboard.

13. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I though the general consensus was that the chiclets were better for typing then the mbp keyboard.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I never really liked the MacBook Pro keyboard. The metallic keys feel too harsh to me. However, the iBook and TiBook keyboards were much better than the MBA's "chiclet" keyboard. Neither style is a deal-breaker.

15. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Many people prefer them, but like the OP, I don't care for them either. The chiclet keyboard feeds too hard; I prefer the current MBP keyboard. And for desk use, I have an ergo MS keyboard.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I hqve no priblem typing on my MB keyboard. You get used to it stip complaning.

17. icepick1985 macrumors member

Great!

I love the new keyboards!!!
    To be honest, that is the only reason why I'm waiting for an MBP Refresh!!

Tuesday is gonne be legen... whait for it...... DARY!!!

;D

18. chachat macrumors newbie

I must agree with the general consensus here... I have been working on a Macbook Air for the past several weeks in lieu of my older Powerbook and simply love the Air keyboard. I also find the trackpad to be more responsive...

19. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Hmm, I'm tending to agree with the OP but I'll try and reserve judgement.

I haven't used the Macbook, MBP or Air keyboards enough to know for sure whether the new keyboard will bother me or not. Having used my sister's Macbook a couple of times, the bigger space between the keys did bug me, and I've really liked the MBP keyboard when I tried it. Let's see.

One thing's for sure: I can't wait to play on it!

20. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I'm delighted with the move. The new (MB) keyboard is stylish, quiet and nice to use. If I get fewer marks on my screen, I'll be even happier with my new MBP on Tuesday... (assuming that it's possible to fit a 500GB hard disk in there)

21. marvel2 macrumors 6502

They should leave it alone and just give it better feedback.

22. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I like the look of the chiclet keyboard, I don't know if I will like the feel though. However, I think that I will get used to anything, it just takes a few days.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you don't type enough. :p

24. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I think the Macbook Air has the best keyboard of any notebook I've ever typed on, I have always absolutely hated the MBP keyboard and its squishy keys.

25. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Nice. ;)

It has been speculated for nearly a year the a MBP case redesign would bring a move to the new keyboard style. It's the only Apple computer that doesn't use it yet. Nearly a bazillion people, myself included, bought the current MBP in February believing it would be the last model to use this case/keyboard.