Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9 to 5 Mac summarizes information it has received from contacts in the publishing industry in recent days, revealing that Apple has been pushing aggressively forward in discussions with publishers about bringing their content to Apple's tablet rumored for introduction on Wednesday.

According to the reports, Apple has been touting the tablet's software as a "game changer" for the e-reader market and positioning its distribution model in contrast to Amazon's Kindle by offering publishers greater control over content and pricing. Other tidbits include:

- Apple is expected to have general agreements with major publishers in place by Wednesday, allowing it to tout the partnerships while still leaving "nuts and bolts" details of the arrangements to further negotiations.

- Scrollmotion and other companies serving as middle-men to bring e-books to the iPhone are being cut out of the tablet, with Apple preferring to work directly with the publishers.

- A large library of e-book content for the tablet is not expected until "mid-2010 at the very earliest", although Apple will likely have something to show at the media event.

- Publishers have not been provided access to any tablet prototypes, although the device has reportedly been described to them as having a 10-inch glass screen and smaller than but roughly equal in weight to Amazon's Kindle DX.

- Apple's tablet will not be priced "anywhere near" the $1,000 mark that some have floated as a possible price point.

Article Link: Book Publishers Offer Details on Apple's Tablet Plans?

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
So we can safely assume that given Apple has been rumored to release 2 different products, one of them will be an E-Reader only? I don't see Apple devoting all of these years to "just" an E-reader, so I'm wondering if it will be one device that 'does it all' or there will be another tablet with more functionality to come in the near future.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

If it's priced somewhere near the kindle/nook I'll seriously consider it.

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
So.....

"- Apple's tablet will not be priced "anywhere near" the $1,000 mark that some have floated as a possible price point."

So...... less? or more than that? :confused:

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
If it's $500, you can pretty much count on it being nothing more than a "bigger iPhone."

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
But is it priced more or less!

Seriously hoping for less and Ill be at the Apple store with my wallet open unless of course its a $500 = £500 scenario!

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
If it's nowhere near that, it would make sense. Unless Apple plans to EOL the MB, then it wouldn't make much sense to offer two competing products.

Alas, if true it's slightly depressing. The cheaper it is, the less technology + features it will offer. I'm guessing it will come with a 32GB SSD and be fairly lacking in tech that all of the patents have been hinting at.

ozarkchoir

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
9to5 article

was very interesting....

I enjoy the b&w to color television analogy.

And the "nowhere near $1000" statement sounds good to me!

Now here's to hoping it still has a great input method... digital notebook....:)

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
A little birdie told me the price will be $299
Wether this is subsidized or not, i don't know

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
"not be priced "anywhere near" the $1,000 mark "

Does that mean $500 or $1500?? :confused:

It means the former. It has always been my opinion that Apple purposefully leaked a $1K price tag so that people will be "shocked" at how cheap it is when it comes in around $500-600

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I seem to remember that Steve Jobs told analysts a few quarters ago, that one way forward was to offset costs in a radical way to forge new markets. Maybe the new tablet is sold at near cost to reap huge profit on the content. This would certainly work if you look at the AppStore success.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Apple's tablet will not be priced "anywhere near" the $1,000 mark that some have floated as a possible price point.

More?!... Less?!... WHAT??? :confused:

Should of read other posts and been one less post of wondering what was meant by "not priced anywhere near the $1000 mark"... talk about your "hidden message" sentence structure, sure seems to have led to more wondering then not...

chuckiej

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2003
It means the former. It has always been my opinion that Apple purposefully leaked a $1K price tag so that people will be "shocked" at how cheap it is when it comes in around $500-600

I agree hunter. They could subsidize it based on *expected* sales of media, couldn't they? Say Apple expects us to subscribe to two magazines and buy 10 books (on average) so they decrease the price by that much?

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Tablet price point

But is it priced more or less!

Seriously hoping for less and Ill be at the Apple store with my wallet open unless of course its a $500 = £500 scenario!

You can pretty much count on the new tablet being around $500 US price point. Pretty much all of their new non computer gadgets have started at the $500 price point. When the original 5Gb iPod came out it was $500 and when the origainal iPhone came out it was $500. The only thing that was not $500 when it first came out was the AppleTV and iPod Touch.

And the Kindle DX is currently priced at $489 with the Nook priced at $259. So it's safe to say the price is going to be around $500. But I would be curious to see if they are going to subsidize the price with a cell phone data plan.

macmike47

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
On the road
maybe there'll be a model without any added extras for education (think $3-400). Any more than that, and Apple will have a job attracting major adoption from the education sector.

Then there can be another one at $800-$1000 for us geeks :)

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
I concur

I am in agreement with the idea the iPad, iSlate etc will be priced well below $1000 certainly makes it that much more appealing. It also makes sense that its price would have to be lower if Apple truly thinks they can push 10 million units. I don't think that will be possible if the price is more the $700-$800 (personally I'm hoping for something like $599 or less).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.