Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdeluxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Anyone knows if it's possible to subscribe to RSS feeds and bookmarks in Safari like you could in older versions (the name in the bookmarks would get a number in parenthesis when the site was updated)?

I would love to get that feature back…

IMG_9418.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nope... I think the closest you will get is to sign up for a web based RSS reader like Feedly, then ad their bookmarklet to your browser to easily subscribe. You would still need to go to feedly.com to read the feeds though. Or you could use any of the RSS apps available for this.

mrdeluxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Yeah… I guess so. I was trying to avoid RSS apps and readers in the whole. I don't want to read everything that is published, I just want to know when a site was updated (and visit it at my leisure).

Still, thanks for the answer!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah… I guess so. I was trying to avoid RSS apps and readers in the whole. I don't want to read everything that is published, I just want to know when a site was updated (and visit it at my leisure).

Still, thanks for the answer!

https://ifttt.com/recipes/147561-rss-feed-to-email

Not exactly what you want, but sort of a work around. You could use the web site IFTTT (if this then that) to watch an rss feed and email you when there is an update.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Anyone knows if it's possible to subscribe to RSS feeds and bookmarks in Safari like you could in older versions (the name in the bookmarks would get a number in parenthesis when the site was updated)?

You can subscribe to RSS feeds in Safari by opening the sidebar, selecting the "@" tab, and clicking on the Subscriptions button at the bottom of the page.

I would not say it is the best of all RSS readers, but it is free...

A.

Addendum: It is actually easier to just click on a feed link or paste a link into the URL box in Safari. You will be asked if you want to add the feed to the Shared Links pane.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can subscribe to RSS feeds in Safari by opening the sidebar, selecting the "@" tab, and clicking on the Subscriptions button at the bottom of the page.

I would not say it is the best of all RSS readers, but it is free...

A.
Heh... when did that come back? Last I recall RSS was completely gone from Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.