Bookmarks and RSS in Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrdeluxe, Feb 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mrdeluxe macrumors newbie

Anyone knows if it's possible to subscribe to RSS feeds and bookmarks in Safari like you could in older versions (the name in the bookmarks would get a number in parenthesis when the site was updated)?

I would love to get that feature back…

IMG_9418.png

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... I think the closest you will get is to sign up for a web based RSS reader like Feedly, then ad their bookmarklet to your browser to easily subscribe. You would still need to go to feedly.com to read the feeds though. Or you could use any of the RSS apps available for this.

3. mrdeluxe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah… I guess so. I was trying to avoid RSS apps and readers in the whole. I don't want to read everything that is published, I just want to know when a site was updated (and visit it at my leisure).

Still, thanks for the answer!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://ifttt.com/recipes/147561-rss-feed-to-email

Not exactly what you want, but sort of a work around. You could use the web site IFTTT (if this then that) to watch an rss feed and email you when there is an update.

5. Alrescha, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

Alrescha macrumors 68020

You can subscribe to RSS feeds in Safari by opening the sidebar, selecting the "@" tab, and clicking on the Subscriptions button at the bottom of the page.

I would not say it is the best of all RSS readers, but it is free...

A.

Addendum: It is actually easier to just click on a feed link or paste a link into the URL box in Safari. You will be asked if you want to add the feed to the Shared Links pane.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Heh... when did that come back? Last I recall RSS was completely gone from Safari.

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Yosemite, maybe? I do not really remember. I mostly use a privately-hosted aggregator, but I have one or two feeds in Safari just to keep my hand in.

A.