Books:ipad vs kindle

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sam235, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

which one is better for reading books? which 1 has more books available, what are your opinions?prefer from ppl who own both, ty

2. kuwisdelu, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011

kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

The iPad has access to more books, since you can use iBooks, the Kindle app, the Nook app, etc. Which one is 'better' for reading them is entirely personal preference. Try both and see what you like better. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The iPad has access to all the same books that the kindle has, plus all the books that you can get from ibooks. Your potential collection on the iPad is wider.
    If you read outside, the kindle is the better option. If you don't I would get the iPad, simply because it does far more than the kindle.

4. Sam235, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011

Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

thanks for the reply, ya i kind of like the ipad more, since i can do alot more things on it, but theres a huge price difference, i am not sure if the ipad is durable enough for traveling

thanks for the reply, yes my thoughts exactly i think the ipad is a safer investment, nit sure if its good enough for traveling

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

The iPad is definitely durable enough for traveling, but you're out a lot more if anything does happen to it.

6. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

haha i was thinking of that :p great minds think alike XD, i am still confused i mean the ipad is surely a better investment it can do much more than kindle, but what i really need is a portable reading device, any opinions? thanks

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

If the only thing you're going to be doing is reading fiction on it, get the Kindle or Nook.

If you want to do more than that, or if want to read more media-rich content like magazines too, then go for the iPad. Assuming you don't mind the lack of eInk, which is doesn't seem like you do.

8. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Sounds like the new Nook touch would be perfect for you. I own an ipad, but I also own a Nook touch and I much prefer to read on the Nook. It's easier to read outside, easier to take with you and read on the go, etc. Sure, the ipad can do a lot more, but if we're just talking about reading, I have to go with the Nook (over Kindle, and over Ipad). And it's much cheaper.

9. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

yup i think i will go with the ipad seems like a better choice in the long run, thanks u helped alot :D

10. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

Having both devices, I find that reading on the Kindle is a more pleasurable experience for books. The screen is really easy to read, and it works amazingly well in the sun.

The iPad is by far the better device though. So if you are deciding to purchase only one I'd do the following:

If ONLY for reading books, go Kindle. It's cheaper, and a better reading experience, IMO.

If it's for Reading + other stuff, obviously the choice is the iPad.

Plus the Kindle is way lighter, so you're arms/hands won't get tired at all.

The iPad is a great reading device, especially for lying around the house. But if your main purpose is to just read, I say go with the Kindle.

11. kalex macrumors 65816

Ipad sucks for reading regular books. Its heavy and too big to hold comfortably for long time. Plus there is also a raging debate of eink vs. LCD

For pure reading Kindle is the way to go. Amazon's book collection is awesome and most of the time cheaper than competition. New Nook Touch is also an option. I prefer kindle since I can read my books on it and also have the ability to read on the kindle app on my phone when I'm on the go. Nook will probably do the same but last time I checked barnes and noble books were more expensive.

if you want to browse the web, read pdfs, email etc and looking for multifunction then I would suggest getting an ipad. If you want something more portable and cheaper, get nook color which is surprisingly a good reader with nice size.

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I've never understood this argument. It's no heavier than a regular hardback. Even with paperbacks, I rarely read one for long without propping it on something. I've never noticed the iPad's weight when reading. :confused:

13. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

I have both and really prefer reading on the Kindle, if I'm looking to JUST read a book. I find the e-ink is a lot easier on my eyes (and I often like to read outside). Plus, it's small and easy to hold in one hand.

That said, I DO love my iPad ... I just prefer to use it for browsing the web, reading emails, playing games, etc.

14. kalex macrumors 65816

ipad is 1.33 pounds without a case. I use a case that adds weight to it and hovers a bit less than 2 pounds. Kindle weights about 8 ounces or so. Don't know about you I prefer kindle to read on. I hold my kindle with one hand when I'm reading in bed. I can't hold my ipad with one hand no matter how i try

15. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

If I'm in bed, the iPad is resting on my chest and I'm propping it up with one hand. Just like a hardback, but thinner.

16. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I have both. For just reading the Kindle is miles ahead.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

actually, you can browse the web, read pdfs, email, and watch movies off the nook color. a co-worker got one about a month ago and i was impressed at how light it is and the quality of the display.

if you want something that has more features than just a plain ebook reader, but is still light and comfortable enough to hold in one hand, the nook color is a well worth consideration. decent battery life too and you're only paying about half of what it would cost to get an ipad2.

18. seajay96 macrumors 6502

If your primary use is reading but want the flexibility to do light computing on the road, I'm going to commit sacrilege here by suggesting you might look at one of the cheaper Android tablets, especially the smaller form factors. I don't want to get into an Android vs iOS argument, because they are roughly equal for what you are looking for. Kindle, Nook, Google Books, etc are all available on both platforms. A 7" form factor tablet is perfectly adapted to reading on the road while giving the flexibility of Apps (either Android or iOS)...

Something like a ViewSonic 730 for $250 might be perfect, but it depends on your uses and how invested you are in the Apple ecosystem.

19. deeddawg macrumors 603

One more factor -- if your public library supports ebook lending (mine does via Overdrive), then you have a lot of *free* current book choices with an ipad or nook. Not sure there's much Kindle support though.

20. realjd macrumors newbie

I have both. The Kindle is easily the best for reading. Not only is the eInk better on the eyes, it lasts practically forever on a charge if you turn off wireless. The iPad is more versatile though.

My biggest complaint about ebooks? You're stuck with nothing to read below 10,000' when flying. I always end up bringing along a paper magazine or something also for that reason.

21. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I cannot stress this enough: THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER FOR EVERYONE.

So that means you have to figure out which one is right for YOU. For example, most people prefer eInk screens for reading, as seen in this thread. Much to my surprise, I found I couldn't stand eInk and found it caused eye strain for me. The iPad, in contrast, is easy on my eyes. I've read almost 200 books on it now.

Yes, I know, the preceding paragraph will cause eyebrows to raise since what I am saying is counterintuitive. But that's my point. I was very surprised to see how restful the iPad was to my eyes, and how much strain I got from the Kindle. But I couldn't know it until I tried both.

You have to try both and see what works for YOU. Don't listen to what anyone else says about their experience, all that matters is what works for YOUR eyes.

22. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

I love this argument. It takes a plane no more than like 4 minutes to get to 10,000 feet. That's the entire reason that skymall exists. I just enjoy looking at the "dog-translator" type devices, or the replica LOTR merchandise, or the cross-word so big I would have to renovate my house to do it, and just laugh. Just an aside.

But yeah, e-reader for reading.

23. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Get a decent case and you're good. Amazon has great iPad travel cases that are small, durable, and have a small pocket to hold accessories (HDMI adapter/cord, charger, camera connection kit (yes all of them).

I have both a kindle and an iPad. Had the Kindle first, but wanted the iPad 2 for all the functionality and as a replacement to a laptop. For me, laptops have become desktops and heavy gaming machines, that's about it. I can do every other computing task on my iPad.

That said, I still prefer reading on my Kindle. I read a lot of news on my iPad, but when it comes to books, I have my Kindle for that. It also fits in the slim back pocket of my iPad case :p (this case)http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FMU320

24. realjd macrumors newbie

It takes 4 minutes to get to 10,000 feet, plus the 20+ minute taxi. You've gotta turn off the Kindle when the boarding door closes, before the plane pushes back from the gate. And by your 10th or so flight in a given month (figuring 4 flights per trip, that's not unreasonable for many travelers), you've already exhausted both that month's SkyMall and the current month's issue of the airline's magazine. But it's a minor annoyance. I just keep a rotating selection of paper magazines in my bag to keep myself distracted.