Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
which one is better for reading books? which 1 has more books available, what are your opinions?prefer from ppl who own both, ty

I've used the Kindle, iPad & Nook

Content

iPad = content from iBooks, Amazon and B&N

Kindle = content from Amazon only

Nook = content from B&N only

Readability

Personally, I prefer e-Ink for books. So Kindle and Nook wins

Versatility

iPad wins, although the Nook can be hacked into an Android Tablet. The Kindle is a dedicated e-Reader.

Last edited:

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
Have both, prefer the kindle for just reading, lighter and easier in bed, on planes, trains, and automobiles.
But saying that also have everything backed up on my iPad also. And tend to take it more places due to it's versatility.
I get books from various sources and use calibre to change formats from mobi to epub and back.

asdfx3

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I have an iPad and am strongly considering the new eink Nook. I find the ipad is great for a lot of things but a bit irritating to read on for an extended period of time if you can't (or don't want to) prop it up. The weight and size aren't so bad, but comfort is worth another $130. I wouldn't even have a problem with the size if it were just the size of screen, but the bezel can make it a bit clumsy.

Sweet thing about the nook is that it's already been rooted so you should be able to put some Android apps on it to fit your non-book reading.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I read both books and graphic novels. No offense to kindle fans, but it can't handle graphic novels. Also, when I'm not in the mood to read, I can fire up a movie or a TV show that I loaded onto the ipad.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
The kindle is better, ever since I picked up a used one a few months back I haven't used my ipad for reading books. I found my eyes are less strained on the kindle, and I can read alot longer.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
One more factor -- if your public library supports ebook lending (mine does via Overdrive), then you have a lot of *free* current book choices with an ipad or nook. Not sure there's much Kindle support though.

The Kindle will support lending via Overdrive later this year.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ams-with-overdrive-to-lend-library-books.html

For reading novels, I would say the Kindle is better. It is relatively inexpensive, $114 is the cheapest. You can read Kindle books on many devices. Battery lasts for a really long time.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The Kindle is a one trick pony and it performs that trick with very little compromise. The iPad does a respectable job, but it's not purpose built for the job.
If you want a device dedicated to reading books, get a Kindle. It's a far better pool side gadget.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I sold my Kindle DX a couple of months ago after getting an iPad (I just didn't need both). The eInk is a bit easier on the eyes and I loved my Kindle, but I'm extremely happy to have a more versatile device, and having color for the software books I often read. I think each person has to decide on what works best for them. Being disabled, I'm not going to be toting the device around anyway, and the iPad isn't much heavier than the DX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.