Books of inspirational triumph

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Aug 9, 2015.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Anyone have any suggestions of books or biographies of people conquering life obstacles?

i've been ruminating a lot lately and need something to distract myself when I do.

2. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Just to give your thread a tug along, try the american classic by Phillip Roth; "Portnoy's Complaint"

KGB:cool:

3. Huntn, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015

Huntn Suspended

Huntn

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Would you like recommendations from the world of fiction, or recommendations for self-help books, or actual biographies of real people? Or would you prefer a spot of good, old-fashioned escapism - which is one of the reasons I read fantasy?

5. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

When the Road Turns is a collection of stories from people with MS.

They go into the daily struggles of living and how they cope and overcome.

6. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I'd like non-fiction biography, and I'd like not overly depressing stories... just a story of someone who overcame a lot, has an interesting story, and good ending. And is real.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Alright.

Try Primo Levi's astounding, moving and very powerful (first) book, published in Europe, as 'If This Is A Man.' The original US edition - missing the point completely which, unfortunately, is not all that unusual - published it under the deplorable title 'Survival in Auschwitz'.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You could give this a try.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Should-Do-My-Life/dp/0345485920/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

50 mini-biographies of people at a crossroads. A wide cross-section of real people in real situations. Easy to pick up and put down. I enjoyed it. Lots to reflect on.

I recognized several people (or rather "types") I knew in the book. Individuals desperately clutching for "success", but not really having their heart in it. Others not even understanding why they wanted "success" (or if they even really wanted it at all). Others starting to realize they'd been sold a dud definition of "success". Good material for reflection.

9. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but Born to Run is what inspired me to start running a few years ago.

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

A simple and fun read is books written by Peter Jenkins. As a young man he was sort of lost and wanting to find his own way. Thus, he decided to walk across America and take in all that the experience could bring. It's a neat and fun real human story.

Link to his first book on Amazon