Boot Camp Assistant help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Classick, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Classick macrumors newbie

So after owning my unibody Macbook for about seven months now, I just found Boot Camp Assistant. Before today I had been on and off with Parallels.

When I tried running Parallels today it said it couldn't start the Virtual Machine because there wasn't enough memory. 2GB ram with no other processes. So then I stumble upon Boot Camp Assistant- but it can't partition my HD.

http://i40.tinypic.com/azchs2.png

That's the error I get. Is there anyway to get my HD partitioned for Boot Camp without having to back up and restore? I don't have access to an external HD, so backing up is out of the question.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and as a bonus- I was wondering if this was normal.

http://i41.tinypic.com/29nuzc7.png

The partition number is at 2, despite the Partition tab in Disk Utility only showing one.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In short, no.

There are files that cannot be moved in the place where the BC partition would go. Backing up, erasing and restoring are the only thing that can free those blocks.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The only solution [without erasing the drive] I can think of is iDefrag. It will give you the contiguous free space Boot Camp Assistant needs to create the Windows partition.

4. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

i just ran into this too and i tried idefrag and it did not work but i only dod quick defrag wich should not work anyway....i fixed by moved 5 or six big files off of my hdd and then it worked fine

and by big i mean 4 gigs each

then i partitioned 180 for windows 7 no problem

5. Classick thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'll give iDefrag a shot. No harm I suppose. Probably do my HD some good.