Boot camp assistant will not let me install later version than Windows 7 (even with modded script)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mcoldham, Aug 11, 2015.

1. mcoldham, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

mcoldham macrumors newbie

On my iMac...
    I've tried modifying the Info.plist to include my boot ram version, and the model number, and nada, zilch, I still just have the same three checkboxes in BCA asking for Windows 7... WHY. I WANT WINDOWS 8.1 PLEASE, YES?! yargh.

Tried using the "sudo codesign .... "
    terminal command as well. Do I actually need the entire Xcode program for this? Terminal seemed to download the tool needed and then says "replacing existing signature" and completes....buh?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Here is a possible way.

You can simply replace Windows installation files with new version of Windows. Just make sure keyboard and mouse can work during the install.

I do this to install not supported version of Windows using boot camp.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You need to change the <key>Win7OnlyModels</key> to <key>Win8OnlyModels</key> in the info.plist.

It's described in the link below how to get Windows 8 on a Windows 7 only supported Mac. (You may not need to do this once El Capitan is released, I didn't have to re edit my plist to install Windows 10 on El Cap. It already just said "Install Windows 7 or later" (instead of just Wondows 7.))

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...t-in-bootcamp-for-an-unsupported-mac.1787887/

4. mcoldham, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

mcoldham thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mcoldham, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

mcoldham thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay,
    so FINALLY I've got the BCA to give me the option of Windows 8 installation... the question is whether it's actually compatible with my machine.

I'm willing to go for Windows 7 64-bit as well if that'll work... gonna try now with a USB bootable or DVD-R. Please let me know if you know this might work best for me!

thanks lag.

6. mcoldham thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, anyone know what I should do if I get to my reFit menu on startup, and then I can't seem to load up the Windows booters from the bootable USB? It goes to a black prompt then gives me an 'unsupported' error.

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You'll need to burn the Windows ISO to a dvd. Older macs don't support booting windows from usb. At least I couldn't get it to work booting from USB to install on my 2009 iMac. (My dvd drive was failing and could only read cd's at the time when I first did this so USB was my only option and never got it to work.) I had to buy a new dvd drive and replace the old broken one. And worked first try once I had the burnt dvd in the new drive. (Using a USB SuperDrive didn't work either since it counted as "booting from USB".)

8. mcoldham thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried with a bootable Windows 8.1 DVD I burned, and no such luck... I get taken to a balck "Select CD ROM Boot Type" screen where I can't type anything. I think there must be a restriction to my machine installing anything past W7 32-bit. Either that, or -I 've seen posts from others describing problems when trying to install W7 or 8 generally, with this boot type screen.... aye aye aye. Think I'm just gonna try installing the most basic kind of Windows version that stupid little Mac OS X can deal with, and then upgrade from there.....? :confused:

9. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You might be forced into 32bit Windows only. I'm not sure if the 2007 iMacs are 64bit.

10. kepler20b macrumors 6502

If you have a valid CDkey, I see no reason why you cant download the ISO off torrent.