Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcoldham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
On my iMac...
I've tried modifying the Info.plist to include my boot ram version, and the model number, and nada, zilch, I still just have the same three checkboxes in BCA asking for Windows 7... WHY. I WANT WINDOWS 8.1 PLEASE, YES?! yargh.

Tried using the "sudo codesign .... "
terminal command as well. Do I actually need the entire Xcode program for this? Terminal seemed to download the tool needed and then says "replacing existing signature" and completes....buh?

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Here is a possible way.

You can simply replace Windows installation files with new version of Windows. Just make sure keyboard and mouse can work during the install.

I do this to install not supported version of Windows using boot camp.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
On my iMac...
I've tried modifying the Info.plist to include my boot ram version, and the model number, and nada, zilch, I still just have the same three checkboxes in BCA asking for Windows 7... WHY. I WANT WINDOWS 8.1 PLEASE, YES?! yargh.

Tried using the "sudo codesign .... "
terminal command as well. Do I actually need the entire Xcode program for this? Terminal seemed to download the tool needed and then says "replacing existing signature" and completes....buh?

You need to change the <key>Win7OnlyModels</key> to <key>Win8OnlyModels</key> in the info.plist.

It's described in the link below how to get Windows 8 on a Windows 7 only supported Mac. (You may not need to do this once El Capitan is released, I didn't have to re edit my plist to install Windows 10 on El Cap. It already just said "Install Windows 7 or later" (instead of just Wondows 7.))

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...t-in-bootcamp-for-an-unsupported-mac.1787887/

Reactions: mcoldham

mcoldham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Just noticed that on Apple official, it says iMac mid-2007 is not compatible with W8 or even W7 64-bit...WTF! Thanks for the info Boot Camp assistant. ****'s sake.

anyone know a workaround for that?

edit: just checking your advice lagweagon

Okay,
so FINALLY I've got the BCA to give me the option of Windows 8 installation... the question is whether it's actually compatible with my machine.

I'm willing to go for Windows 7 64-bit as well if that'll work... gonna try now with a USB bootable or DVD-R. Please let me know if you know this might work best for me!

thanks lag.

Last edited:

mcoldham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Also, anyone know what I should do if I get to my reFit menu on startup, and then I can't seem to load up the Windows booters from the bootable USB? It goes to a black prompt then gives me an 'unsupported' error.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Also, anyone know what I should do if I get to my reFit menu on startup, and then I can't seem to load up the Windows booters from the bootable USB? It goes to a black prompt then gives me an 'unsupported' error.

You'll need to burn the Windows ISO to a dvd. Older macs don't support booting windows from usb. At least I couldn't get it to work booting from USB to install on my 2009 iMac. (My dvd drive was failing and could only read cd's at the time when I first did this so USB was my only option and never got it to work.) I had to buy a new dvd drive and replace the old broken one. And worked first try once I had the burnt dvd in the new drive. (Using a USB SuperDrive didn't work either since it counted as "booting from USB".)

mcoldham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
You'll need to burn the Windows ISO to a dvd. Older macs don't support booting windows from usb. At least I couldn't get it to work booting from USB to install on my 2009 iMac. (My dvd drive was failing and could only read cd's at the time when I first did this so USB was my only option and never got it to work.) I had to buy a new dvd drive and replace the old broken one. And worked first try once I had the burnt dvd in the new drive. (Using a USB SuperDrive didn't work either since it counted as "booting from USB".)

Just tried with a bootable Windows 8.1 DVD I burned, and no such luck... I get taken to a balck "Select CD ROM Boot Type" screen where I can't type anything. I think there must be a restriction to my machine installing anything past W7 32-bit. Either that, or -I 've seen posts from others describing problems when trying to install W7 or 8 generally, with this boot type screen.... aye aye aye. Think I'm just gonna try installing the most basic kind of Windows version that stupid little Mac OS X can deal with, and then upgrade from there.....? :confused:

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just tried with a bootable Windows 8.1 DVD I burned, and no such luck... I get taken to a balck "Select CD ROM Boot Type" screen where I can't type anything. I think there must be a restriction to my machine installing anything past W7 32-bit. Either that, or -I 've seen posts from others describing problems when trying to install W7 or 8 generally, with this boot type screen.... aye aye aye. Think I'm just gonna try installing the most basic kind of Windows version that stupid little Mac OS X can deal with, and then upgrade from there.....? :confused:

You might be forced into 32bit Windows only. I'm not sure if the 2007 iMacs are 64bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.