Boot Camp Expiring?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amtberg, Nov 28, 2007.

1. amtberg macrumors newbie

I got this e-mail from Apple today:

Are you freakin' kidding me?! I run Windows on my mac pro 99.9% of the time. Now I have to buy Leper (which does *not* work well with most of my apps!) or lose Windows support? Please tell me this isn't *@#&*$# true.

2. iGav macrumors G3

It isn't true. ;)

You need to buy Leopard. ;)

3. amtberg thread starter macrumors newbie

I reckon so. It'll be the last thing I ever buy from Apple.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Buy Leopard you mean, and it is and it isn't true.

It is true that bootcamp is expiring and that it probably won't work or be updated after December 31st.

It is NOT true that your Windows install will stop working. Bootcamp is only a tool to partition your drive with a windows partition and to burn the drivers CD. Bootcamp is not use, in any way, to run Windows after the install.

The only thing that Bootcamp Beta expiring means is that if you wipe your drive you won't be able to recreate the Windows partition (if you have two drives this isn't even a problem) and you will no longer get any newer updated drivers.

Your current Windows install WILL CONTINUE TO WORK.

5. amtberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, okay, panic somewhat averted. But what about the boot camp drivers? They continue to work?

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

No, Apple built a kill-clock into all the drivers. Once that clock hits zero, you are on your own. /sarcasm

Also, if you use Windows 99.9% of the time, why the hell did you buy a Mac? That is like buying a private plane if you drive your Honda Accord 99.9% of the time. (ok, not exactly, but Macs are there for OS X)

7. f1 macrumors 6502

They will continue to work however if you wipe everything clean you will not be able to get the drivers again if you've thrown out the original boot camp driver disc you created. Also if apple releases updates to the drivers, you won't be eligible to receive them.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Couldn't he buy parallels instead of Leopard?

9. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

All as per the license agreement we accepted when we downloaded the Boot camp beta. Nothing sinister going on.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That entirely depends on what they're doing.

I'm surprised we still have some Boot Camp stragglers a month after Leopard launch.

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Just sell the mac pro and buy a pc if you use windows practically all the time. Why did you even buy a mac in the first place?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You don't even need to use Boot Camp to run Windows or any other operating system on a Mac.

13. feyn-man macrumors regular

You have a windows license, right? And you really don't need macOS, right? So why not just buy a motherboard, a video card, a CPU and memory stick. Your LCD can still be used. You should pay maybe only $200 to get a new PC. Then you can use your windows safely.

If you like, you can sell your mac pro. The totally payment will be less than a leopard copy.

14. amtberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously I bought the Mac Pro because I liked the hardware and the price was right. Nothing wrong with OSX except the cost of switching over all my software -- and the fact that Leper doesn't work so well with apps I use on a daily basis.

15. feyn-man macrumors regular

If that is your situation. Why you need boot camp?

Insert your windows install disk. Format the HD and do the clean install. You will get the pure Windows.

16. TheStu macrumors 65816

Why on earth do you insist on calling it Leper? The name is Leopard, like the cat, just like all the other iterations of OS X were named after cats
    Puma, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Cheetah, Jaguar

What of your software is Leopard incompatible with?

17. raysmd macrumors member

I find Leper to be quite funny.

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Jeebus, will all of youse get OFF the bash-the-member bandwagon?

All of you saying "get a ^$& Windows machine/motherboard/why did you buy a Mac in the first place" -- weren't you the same people advising newbies to buy a Mac rather than a PC BECAUSE you could run your choice of OSX or Windows? And crowing over the PC magazines crowning the MBP as the best Windows laptop?

The OP was concerned that their Windows install would stop working on Dec. 31. A valid concern, but which is not the case - Apple will stop distributing and supporting BootCamp for Tiger then , that's all

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, you bought a Macintosh and not a Windows PC. If you want to run Windows get a physical PC. Don't get mad with Apple, they expect you to run the Mac as a Mac, they don't care that much that your Windows experience will get interrupted because Bootcamp is expiring. Either upgrade to Leopard or sell your Mac and get a Windows machine especially since you are only going to use it as a Windows machine.

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Running Windows under boot camp in 10.4.X after Dec.31st will not be supported. If you have a problem Apple will not offer support, although you can still run it. Apple no longer supports OS 9, but I am running it.

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well CanadaRAM you are greatly wrong. Nobody on these forums care if the OP or anyone else uses the actual Apple hardware. We generally recommend to buy a Mac for the OS X experience and the fact that if you have applications that are Windows only and you need to still use them while migrating to OS X fully you can install Windows or Crossover Mac. But nobody cares if he's running Windows full time on the Mac Pro or any other Mac. We are not trying to recommend the Apple hardware to run Windows, we are recommending the "Mac" experience.
    Mac users love the Apple experience for Mac OS X, not the hardware.

22. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Well said!

23. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

This is hardly a secret. I find it hard to believe you are tech-savvy enough to know about a beta program, install the software and agree to all the licenses and yet not know about the limitations?

anyway.. as far as i know it wont stop working, it would just not let you run the bootcamp assistant to install windows.

PS: I too would like to know the many apps you use that are incompatible with leopard?

24. Matek macrumors 6502a

Like others have said, everything will keep working. Boot camp isn't some kind of special software that runs constantly and enables Windows to work on your mac. It's basically just a wizard that partitions your drive and burns you a disc with drivers. You already did that the first time you installed Windows, so you don't need Boot Camp anymore

25. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

That does explain a lot...