Boot Camp Question Please Help, Don't know what to DO!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by povsicf, Sep 12, 2009.

1. povsicf macrumors member

I have a Macbook and I had Windows Vista running through Boot Camp and I deleted the partition and when I try to reinstall it it tells me that it can't partition the HD because there are some files that can't be moved. I have read on other threads that you can use iDefrag and do it that way, but I can't get that to work. The other option is to reinstall OSX which is Snow Leopard. My question is I don't have a way of backing up what I have now, so when I go to reinstall it will it erase everything on my macbook or will it leave all my personal info and settings the way it did when I upgraded to snow Leopard and installed it the first time. If so how should I do it, should I boot from the disk or run the disk when I'm already logged onto OSX? Please help me with this, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sonspot macrumors member

ii just installed xp using BC, i've been trying for days now, (normally i can do it with help but i guess i had a bad disk that was not loading xp properly all is good now:D),.

ok, so, do have one or two partitions now, if you still have the old vista partition delete it and resize the OSX drive to one drive and start over,. get rid of vista and get xp or w7, IMO vista is not worth the effort,.

am coming from the PC world, the only reason am putting xp on is because Diablo II looks like @ss on my PC (running W7), too much power i guess:eek:,.

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

You can do an Archive and Install, its not one of the standard options anymore, its hidden in the customise options menu-FYI i dont actually have SL, i just read reports etc. But it definitely is in there on the bootup disk

Next pointer would be, GET AN EX HDD n back that crap up!! lol that will help you get outta potentially sticky situations

Hope that helps

PTP

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

When you used iDefrag, did you use the Quick Defrag? If so, then that probably wouldn't work, since it doesn't do a consolidation of files. You'd need to use one of the other options, which requires booting off another volume (an iDefrag boot DVD, or other).

5. povsicf thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I can't do that cause I don't have an external hard drive and I can't backup all my info to anything. Any other suggestions, I thank you all for your help.