Boot Camp wont create new Windows partition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AceLX, Oct 6, 2009.

1. AceLX macrumors newbie

hey hello macrumors im new here.. but i got a problem with bootcamp..

I had deleted my old partition of windows because i needed to add more space so i had delete it.. and start over again and everytime i do it this is what it says

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me?

2. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

How many partitions do you have? How much free space? And any unpartitioned space?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's probably caused by files residing in the physical space BootCamp needs for the new partition. By backing up, then restoring your files, it consolidates them and creates the contiguous freespace BootCamp needs.

The other option is to use something like iDeFrag to do the consolidation. That's probably the easier option.

Obviously the first solution needs you to backup your data, but I would recommend it even with iDeFrag. It's just good practice.

4. AceLX thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 87gbs free on my mac(due to alot of movies n music) and i dont have no more partitions i only had one.. and i deleted it

5. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Doesn't Mac OS X (ie Disk Utility) automatically consolidate fragmented files when partitioning?

Did you reformat over the deleted partition? Sent a picture of your partition map?

6. AceLX thread starter macrumors newbie

where can i find that out?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No, I don't believe it does anything other than check for contiguous freespace. If it did, the process of backup/restore wouldn't be needed.

8. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Open disk utility, click your HDD then click the partitions tab

What? Im asking, if there were files breaking the contiguous free space needed for a new partition.. Is disk utility not smart enough to defrag these files and consolidate them to a different part of the disk that is not needed for the new partition?

EDIT: You fixed your reply =]

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yea, I was a bit too quick on the trigger.

It'd be nice if Disk Utility did that, but I'm just happy we can do any partitioning on-the-fly.

OP: in any event, you need to create the Boot Camp partition using the Boot Camp Assistant, not Disk Utility. There's some trickiness that's done to the GUID to emulate a MBR, and I believe that's done as a separate function from creating the partition (something Disk Utility's service would do).

10. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

Apparently there are no adverse effects from doing it with Disk Utility (haven't tried, only deleted windows with it)

And also, I agree a lot better than in windows where you must reboot and let it do it all then, also resizing disks on windows is a b****

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've also read deleting with Disk Utility does work OK, just not the creation.

12. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

No, i mean the opposite... I have read that creation works fine... but I have only deleted with it personally

13. AceLX thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay people is anyone going to tell me how to fix this??

14. mongrol macrumors regular

The solution is exactly what it tells you. The Bootcamp partitioner cannot get enough contiguous free space to create a bootcamp partition of the size you want. The only solution is to backup you're entire disk with Time Machine, reinstall OSX from scratch and restore from your backup. You will then have contiguous free space as your disk has been fully reformatted.

15. AceLX thread starter macrumors newbie

ok but i dont have a copy of leopard.. or is the cds that came with my laptop a copy of leopard? how do i format it?

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

You follow the on-screen prompts, simple as that.

Be aware you need to backup everything on your computer, formating it will completely erase all files on it.

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Disk 1 of the set that came with your machine is the bootable Leopard DVD.

Again: you will need a full backup of your internal drive. Erasing it WILL DELETE all your files. If you go with the iDefrag method, it's still a good idea to have the full backup.

Boot Camp's method (backup & restore):

The external drive needs to be partitioned using the GUID scheme. The partition itself needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled) (which is HFS+ journaled). To do this, boot up on your Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility (you'll be able to get to it after selecting the language).

To do the backup, run Disk Utility from your Leopard boot DVD. Use Disk Utility's Restore function to make the backup to an external drive/partition. Make sure to check "erase destination" to enable block copy. It's much faster, and you want an exact copy of your drive.

The process will take a while (even an hour or two, depending on the size of the backup and interface used).

I would suggest, before erasing your internal drive, to boot off your new external backup. It's just a quick way to verify you have a good clone of your internal. Just hold down the "option" key when starting up to select the external drive (that way, you aren't changing the default startup disk).

Once complete and you're satisfied with your backup, again use Disk Utility's Restore function - reversing the source and destination volumes (again, check "erase destination").

If you have any questions prior to erasing your internal drive, please post back here before doing so. No one wants to see a mistake made when you only have a single copy of your data. (You really should have a Time Machine backup or at least a 2nd copy of your personal data on a 2nd drive.)