Boot into Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by AmbiguousNinja, Aug 6, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Well, I finally did it, Lion is downloading as I type. I read somewhere about Lion taking cues from Chrome OS and allowing users to boot directly into Safari. That was a while ago, around the time of the WWDC. I was wondering if  got rid of that feature or if it was just a rumor. Thanks!

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I haven't been able to find that feature anywhere..so maybe it was removed.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I forget the context from WWDC, but now you can "restart into Safari" from the log in screen or when waking from screen saver if you have Filevault2 activated.

4. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Just press Cmd + R while rebooting, and you will be given a special screen where you can choose "Get help online" which is basically Safari mode.

It's not very useful though as it requires completely rebooting before and after using Safari mode, and things like the trackpad tap-to-click doesn't work, and none of your personal settings work. It's good if your system crashes and you need to read the forums about how to fix it, but you won't be using it as a sort of "Guest Account" for your wife or whatever, it's just too clumsy to reboot twice, especially that Lion takes ages to reboot.

It will be cool for students to be able to browse the net even without a password, which will annoy the hell out of their tutors, so I guess they will quickly revert back to Snow Leopard as they realize this.

5. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

You're booting into a shell UI that let's you run Safari just to clarify.