Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Just had something strange happen. Strange to me anyway. As most of you folks know, I replaced my Pro 580X MPX module with a Aorus RW 5700 XT. Last month I replaced my old 24" HP HD monitor with a 24" LG 4K monitor. I have limited space, so a 24" monitor works for me. Anyway, after about a week, I became unhappy with the LG. I started looking around for a new monitor and the only one to catch my eye was the LG 4K made for Mac. Much more expensive than other 4K monitors of comparable size. The only inputs on the LG Mac Display are Thunderbolt 3. My 5700XT, of course doesn't have TB and I removed the capability from my NcMP 7,1 when I removed the MPX card.

So I bought a USB C to DisplayPort BiDirectional cable. The reviews for such cables have been mixed. Mostly some folks can't get them to work. Well, mine works fine, but in the process, I lost the boot screen 1387914497.gif Don't understand how that could happen.

The LG Mac display is much much better than the vanilla LG one. Far more uniform brightness, greater contrast and superior clarity. Text is much more sharp. I guess you get what you pay for.

But, I miss the boot screen.

Lou

Last edited:

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Swap in the MPX module again and see if you get boot screen then? Could rule out/in the monitor or GPU as the cause.

Reactions: h9826790

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
why would the macOS version have any impact on there being (or not being) a boot screen?
I'm really trying to understand the logic here too. Pre-boot configuration support has NOTHING to do with macOS.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yup, I don't understand it either? I tried another BiDirectional cable today. Same as the first cable - No Boot Screen.

Still I don't understand how I had a boot screen with a DisplayPort to DisplayPort connection but not with a DisplayPort to USB C conection?

Lou

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
is the USB-C connection doing some kind of usb display adapter (DisplayLink for example) rather than actually using the display sent from the card?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
is the USB-C connection doing some kind of usb display adapter (DisplayLink for example) rather than actually using the display sent from the card?

This:

and this:

Lou

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
What pre-boot configuration of a 2019 Mac Pro has anything to do with a macOS release? Please explain what you are saying.

I saw that the 2019 mac pro had no bootscreen with a radeon VII below 10.15.3.
after installing the last 10.15.4 dev the bootscreen including bootpicker was available.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I saw that the 2019 mac pro had no bootscreen with a radeon VII below 10.15.3.
after installing the last 10.15.4 dev the bootscreen including bootpicker was available.
@h9826790 had noticed that the Radeon VII had no boot screen while OC already provided boot screen for the Polaris cards. Further development was needed to get OC show bootscreen on Radeon VII. I wonder if Apple changed the firmware during the 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 development related to the GOP bootscreen. It looks like the Radeon VII GOP is borked by AMD.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Well, Based on the conjecture I just updated to Public Beta 5, knowing I wouldn't get a boot screen and I still don't have a boot screen.

Lou

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Well, Based on the conjecture I just updated to Public Beta 5, knowing I wouldn't get a boot screen and I still don't have a boot screen.

Lou
This has nothing to do with firmware or macOS release, MP7,1 always supported pre-boot configuration support with GOP 3rd party GPUs since the initial EFI (1037.40.124).

@IndioX is mistaken here.
[automerge]1584141757[/automerge]
@h9826790 had noticed that the Radeon VII had no boot screen while OC already provided boot screen for the Polaris cards. Further development was needed to get OC show bootscreen on Radeon VII. I wonder if Apple changed the firmware during the 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 development related to the GOP bootscreen. It looks like the Radeon VII GOP is borked by AMD.
MP7,1 always had pre-boot configuration support with VII…

Reactions: crjackson2134

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Alex,

I read your post below in another thread:

Your monitor is 4K or have a ultra-wide non standard resolution? Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition don't support DP1.2 or 4K for pre-boot configuration support

Could my now having a 4K monitor be the reason I lost the boot screen? Though, I did have the boot screen on the 4K LG I had for a very short time before I got my current LG UltraFine.

Lou

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Alex,

I read your post below in another thread:

Could my now having a 4K monitor be the reason I lost the boot screen? Though, I did have the boot screen on the 4K LG I had for a very short time before I got my current LG UltraFine.

Lou
Your problem it's not the same, did you checked if your 5700 XT firmware is the most recent one? Btw, just for kicks, did you tried DP1.1 setting as a workaround?

Not saying that it's the same case, but VII initial firmware have a broken GOP option ROM and won't work for pre-boot configuration support with OpenCore.

Note for someone that find this later using the search, ASRock have the most recent VII Firmware, works fine and can be used by any VII since all are reference cards, someone posted the link some days ago.

Edit: was @startergo that posted the ASRock VII update:

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Just to bring things to current. Over time I have become uncomfortable not having the boot screen. Today I put the Pro 580X back in my NcMP above the RX5700XT. On startup, no boot screen. Attached the LG TB cable to the TB port on the machine and the second input on the monitor, no boot screen. Pulled the DP cable from the monitor, blank display. Shut down and switched TB cable in port next to the audio port. Restarted, no boot screen. Pulled the DP cable again from the monitor, restarted and hurrah - boot screen. Inserted the DP cable, restarted and no boot screen. So, I now have the ability to get the boot screen if I pull a cable out of the monitor and restart. With both cables in, no boot screen.

But, the meter on my UPS tells me that I'm consuming about 30 watts more with both GPUs.

Edit - I can now hear the fans, they were silent before ?

Looks like it's Intake 3:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 7-29-20, 11.51.26 AM.png

Lou

Last edited:

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Just to bring things to current. Over time I have become uncomfortable not having the boot screen. Today I put the Pro 580X back in my NcMP above the RX5700XT. On startup, no boot screen. Attached the LG TB cable to the TB port on the machine and the second input on the monitor, no boot screen. Pulled the DP cable from the monitor, blank display. Shut down and switched TB cable in port next to the audio port. Restarted, no boot screen. Pulled the DP cable again from the monitor, restarted and hurrah - boot screen. Inserted the DP cable, restarted and no boot screen. So, I now have the ability to get the boot screen if I pull a cable out of the monitor and restart. With both cables in, no boot screen.

But, the meter on my UPS tells me that I'm consuming about 30 watts more with both GPUs.

Edit - I can now hear the fans, they were silent before ?

Looks like it's Intake 3:

View attachment 938634

Lou
Can you space out the GPUs differently in the case (not sure if you have PC cards or MPX modules) perhaps if they are in different slots the heat would be handled differently and the 3rd intake fan wouldn't need to ramp up.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Bringing this back. In my quest for a boot screen I bought this cable:

Based on posts to this thread:

I still don't have a boot screen, but I did get the brightness control in the Display Preferences pane and The USB Ports on the back of my LG UltraFine are now active.

so:

+ Brightness Control
+ USB Ports on the Apple specd LG display activated

- No Boot Screen
- Expensive
- The plastic cover over the DisplayPort connector needs to be cut back to fully seat in the GPU. If not trimmed, no output.

Lou

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.