Boot Time

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
Why does my MacBook Pro take so long to boot? It takes almost 2 minutes. It is an early 2011 model running the latest version of Lion. any tips?

Spencer Reynen

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
It's probably b/c your HD is really full. If you're that concerned with it you could upgrade the RAM, or get an SSD. Although boot time doesn't matter at all, your boot time should go to about 15 seconds if you upgrade both the RAM and SSD. Let us know how full your hard drive is first.

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Try going to Preferences > Startup Disk and restart on your HDD, that fixed my problem after i changed my HDD for SSD, now i boot @ around 6secs :D

SayMilesAway

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
Try going to Preferences > Startup Disk and restart on your HDD, that fixed my problem after i changed my HDD for SSD, now i boot @ around 6secs :D
6 sec? When do you start timing? Mine is 20 secs from the time I press the power button to the time I see my desktop.

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
mine takes forever to boot too :mad: 1-2 minutes, and bootcamp boots in 45seconds or less :eek: still almost 200gb left on the lion partition.
i've tried setting the startup disk to OS X, but the bootcamp start-up option has not been there since I opgraded to lion :mad: and I use a 7200rpm 500GB WD Black :( but when the laptop has booted I don't have problems with it ;)

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Its funny how my bootcamp boots faster than my OSX lol
My Win 7 Ultimate takes like 10 sec to boot (my log in screen).
And my OS X takes atleast 6~10 sec longer

ELA2

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
As much as I'd like to believe you, I don't think it's 6 seconds from the time you press the power button. Computer has to POST before it boots - unless there is some magical trick you've managed to circumvent this.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Do as others have said and repair your disk permissions in Disk Utility. Also, make sure your HDD is selected as the startup disk in Preferences.

I've found that computers with a HDD rather than a SSD have very variable boot times. Before I installed a SSD it could take my Mac from 30 seconds to over 1 minute to boot. Now, with a SSD, it's a constant 17.5 seconds from power button to login.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Why does my MacBook Pro take so long to boot? It takes almost 2 minutes. It is an early 2011 model running the latest version of Lion. any tips?
Have you added things that start up automatically?

I think a typical startup time for a machine like that running from a hard drive would be 30 to 50 second "ish" so that does seem to be slow.

There are some things you can try like resetting the PRAM etc.

Before you do any of that make sure you have a recent backup!

If you have tried the usual things recommended here you may want to take it into an apple store and have them take a look.

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
As much as I'd like to believe you, I don't think it's 6 seconds from the time you press the power button. Computer has to POST before it boots - unless there is some magical trick you've managed to circumvent this.
If u read on, i said that i start timing when i hear the chime. From chime till everything is up takes approximately 6seconds on my 13" 2011 MBP with SSD.

P.S I apologize everyone i retimed my Bootup and it actually takes 11secs :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
2 minutes really isn't bad for Lion. Maybe 30 seconds too long. Can't remember those days though.

And I love slumming around in these threads that reference old tech like hard drives with antiquated platters and stuff like that. :)

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Makes you never want to go back, doesn't it? :D
2 minutes really isn't bad for Lion. Maybe 30 seconds too long. Can't remember those days though.

And I love slumming around in these threads that reference old tech like hard drives with antiquated platters and stuff like that. :)

silverhand31

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Hi, dumb question, how do I know if my drive is SDD:D ?, it's name is Macintosh HD now .....
my boot is around 2 minute, I have ~80GB/320GB free store.
But I remember at first time I purchase my MBP, boot time is not that long.... What have I doneeeee?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.