Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serrath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
I have a MacBook Pro from the summer of 2008 that I wish to create a backup for. I partitioned the hard drive to have both an OSX Journaled Partition for 10.5 and an NTFS partition for Windows XP Pro SP3.

I wish to create a bootable backup for this computer onto an external USB drive. (e.g. if I remove the internal hard drive, except for the speed difference, I should not notice a difference)

How is this done? Most copying programs don't seem to make the NTFS partition bootable, and any mix-and-matching ends up making it go kaput.

(I also wish to be able to copy this backup partition back onto an internal SATA drive should the original drive die.)

Also, when I press alt at the EFI screen to select boot devices, none of the partitions on my external hard drive appear, even though I made an image of my Windows partition there, which should be bootable.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
If you want to move/backup/resize a Bootcamp partition, I'd strongly suggest WinClone.

As far as booting it off an external drive, you'll have to search for those "hoops" - can't help you there.

To backup/copy/move the Mac partition, use Disk Utility's Restore capability. Boot off a Mac OS install disc (or other volume) and run Disk Utility from there. Make sure the destination drive is partitioned using GUID. Also, when doing the Restore, check "erase destination" to enable block-copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.