Bootable PCI SATA cards for Power Mac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nemesiswar, Jul 19, 2014.

1. nemesiswar macrumors member

So I'm wondering if i can find a list of BOOTABLE SATA PCI cards for Power mac G5 anywhere.
    I am looking for SATA II cards on first hand and in best worlds SATA III cards but i doubt those exist.

2. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

3. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

SilverStone EC05 SATA III with Marvell 88SE9130 Chip
    Not bootable, but it is a working SATA-III card, unfortunately it is PCIe, so it can be used in the last G5 generation only.
    Also, it only works under 10.5 (out of the box!). The card will show up under "serial ata" column in the sys profiler and under PCI-cards.

picture of the card and benchmarks: post #20 http://www.cubeuser.de/showthread.php?t=1456&page=2

(reading is 10-15MB/ faster than SATA-II, but writing drops down to SATA-I speed, sometimes, the user notes, but for applications and stuff, that has to be quickly read, it might be an option).

Kind of, oof-topic, but I guess, when someone will search for G5 SATA-card later, he might find this here and findit useful, if he has one of the last G5s.

Would be interesting to find out, if there is a similar card for PCI-X, though I can't imagine, that SATA-III was even produced with PCI/PCI-X.

4. Jubadub macrumors regular

Jubadub

Out of the box it works only with 10.5, but what about 10.4? Is there a way to get it to work? Some driver install?

Bumping old thread that might not get a reply, but I guess it's still worth a try. All for the sake of getting SATA III (and USB 3.0 or 3.1) on the PCIe Late 2005 G5s.
    (Currently have 4 SATA II slots via the Sonnet Tempo SATA E4i, with support for drives bigger than 2TB after installing a driver, working on both 10.4/10.5.)

5. weckart macrumors 601

I always had a soft spot for Unreal. It came out for MacOS9 but can be coaxed to run on OSX.

6. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

The card runs under 10.5, because 10.5 came with a generic AHCI-driver. 10.4 did not. One can assume, that all "PC/windows" cards that support the AHCI standard will work under 10.5.

The SATA-III card is not much faster than a card by Delock 70137 with SiliconImage 3132 chip, when reading and even slower when writing. You're not getting more than 250MB/s out of the PCIe connection on the G5 anyway, so the Digitus SATA-II might be the better choice or a combination of both.

All credit goes to the user flyproductions over at cubeuser.de ! All remarks by him. (I just played your translator and summed it up).

There is still the option of flashing a card for use under 10.4, if it has to be bootable.

7. LightBulbFun macrumors 68020

LightBulbFun

to be pedantic 10.4.11 did come with a generic AHCI driver however AFAIK its intel only sadly, I still want to see someone boot 10.4.11 from a PCIe AHCI SSD in a MP3,1 or something can you imagine how stupidly quick that would be :D

luckily for us at least the 10.5.x AHCI driver was compiled as a universal binary :)