Bootcamp Assistant is retarded

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by junglepunk, Aug 24, 2011.

1. junglepunk macrumors newbie

I want to create a bootcamp partition onto which I can install Windows 7. I have a 500GB HDD which has 50GB of unpartitioned space. I would like to use this unpartitoned space to install windows However when I run bootcamp assistant it only gives med the option to shrink my already existing HFS+ partition. I don't wanna do that. I want to use the unpartitioned space. So what can I do. Does anybody have any idea why bootcamp assistant can't perform this simple step?

2. gr8tfly, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Expand the current partition into the freespace, then let Bootcamp Assistant create the Windows partition.

When you install Windows, you can decide how it's formatted.

Bootcamp Assistant is there to make the task of setting up a Windows partition and making it available for booting [into Windows] easier. If you need to do anything more complicated, you can use Disk Utility, or its backend toolset in command line (diskutil, gpt, hdiutil, etc.)

3. junglepunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I could do that.

Are you sure it's fine to reformat the bootcamp partition to NTFS? I've been advised against doing that in the past. Something about screwing up boot stuff.

I mean, I did it anyway but it did screw up vmware support for me.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The only downside to using OS-X with it is the lack of native write support.

I know this isn't much help, but Parallels is able to use the Bootcamp install as a VM when formatted as NTFS. Given the competition between the two apps, it seems like there would be some kind of support in VMware also. I can only suggest searching here and at the VMware forums for a possible fix (you've probably already done this, but I always try to post more info, rather than less... ;) ).

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Windows 7 will only install to a NTFS volume. You don't have much of a choice.

Just make sure you don't format your OS X partition by mistake. :p