Bootcamp audio in vista is weird

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorahk, Oct 24, 2008.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

Sometimes my audio has glitches in Vista x64 using apple's provided drivers.

This is on the late 2008 mbp

What should I do?

2. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

Come on someone else must have installed vista on their machine. I know other people are having this problem but I don't know what to really do about it. I tried upgrading the soundcard driver but that didn't do anything, so I just reinstalled the normal apple drivers for all my hardware

3. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

I have vista on my Oct purchased MBP and have no issues with audio.

4. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you tried to play any games? Are you using the wireless while doing it? Because those are the things other people are saying cause the issue.

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

I think the bootcamp drivers are a little glitchy. The touchpad is finnicky for me, and I get occasional audio glitches too. However, I've only booted Vista twice.. don't feel the need to anymore :p

I have 32-bit vista btw.

6. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I get sound glitches in games running Vista x64 Business. The only games I played are CS source and HL 2 but there are sound glitches thats for sure!

I'm not too worried since there are no bugs on OS X so my computer is fine.

7. singaporesling macrumors newbie

I get really annoying sound glitches every 30-40 seconds in 32 bit vista ultimate just listening to music with my new mbp...its really pissing me off. Also DoD:s plays fine but CS 1.6 seems to stutter a little bit.

8. akashhhhh macrumors member

It has to do with the wi-fi. Windows polls for wifi networks every 60 seconds, and it interferes with the sound everytime that it does. You can test this in Vista by refreshing the available networks in the "connect to a network" window.

The only workaround I've found is to use a program called Vista Anti Lag. It works well and runs in the tray.

9. singaporesling macrumors newbie

Hey thanks a lot for the tip man. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to XP cause i just stuck with it, but i don't know much about Vista's quirks. I could have bought xp pro from my school for $10 instead of the $20 I paid for Vista...wow prolly should have gotten XP. I figured most of the quirks were worked out with vista after sp1 :/

10. Jatku macrumors member

I had the same problem, but after I redid the Bootcamp process (because I wanted to put more memory into the Windows partition) the static went away. Maybe the Windows reinstall fixed it, not sure. Also, the sound came even when my ethernet cable was used, so it may not be the wi-fi. I have it turned on right now and it's fine.

*Correction - It does make the static noise when I'm connected to a network, but not when the wi-fi is just on.

11. akashhhhh macrumors member

Can I ask you Vista users a question? Are you getting hard freezes after using Vista for an hour or so? I'm getting them, usually while web browsing and would appreciate some feedback.

12. Jatku macrumors member

I'm not sure if I've been on it for more than an hr, I've been reinstalling and playing around with settings too much. On the first install, it was pretty slow, but I think it was because I had less than 500 mb on the partition left. After I redid the partition, I ran Crysis fine for what might have been over an hour. Your freezing problem may just be an issue with Windows. After seeing how long it took to get everything set up, I made a backup of the partition once everything was set.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Trying reinstalling the software and did you install the updates?

14. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I am running Vista 32bit and have no problems at all.

15. akashhhhh macrumors member

Thanks for the information, guys, much obliged.

I think this is a problem with my unit. Is this were a widespread issue, the internet would be up in arms and from what I can gather...only myself and one other user (on the official Apple forums) are having issues.

I'm on my way to swap my unit, if it doesn't work...I'll just return.

Let me know if you guys have ANY issues with Vista...this is all really annoying me.

16. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i had the same issue, i thought it was the video card laggin in games, but it was the sound that was buggin out and taking the comp with it...

i set the defualt audio to 16bit instead of default 32bit and all is better

i guess this will work until new drivers come out

17. singaporesling macrumors newbie

Ok my Vista audio lags every 40-30 seconds when I play audio but doesn't in games. Someone said it was because vista constantly polls for new wireless networks. Is that still a problem if im connected through ethernet(which I was when the audio lagging happened). Also, someone suggested Vista Anti-Lag, i installed it but it immediately crashed and gave me an error. Has it been broken by an update?

18. Jatku macrumors member

Connect the ethernet cable and disable the wireless driver, otherwise you'll still have the lag. There's prob a lot of other solutions too if you look around.

19. jgo78 macrumors 6502

there is some choppy/crackly sound in vista 32. I get it a lot in the witcher enhanced.

20. jgo78 macrumors 6502

21. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

If it is the wireless that is causing the problem, then connect to your access point, and hit start then click run, type cmd and hit enter.

type 'net stop wzcsvc'

then try your game or whatever, see what happens.

edit: of course, this will limit you to the access point you are connected to. if you wish to connect to another AP, restart, or type 'net start wzcsvc' in command prompt

22. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well I tried this and I get an error

system error 1060 has occurred

When I enter cmd it the black box comes up and says C:\users\username

Is there something I'm supposed to type before though? Sorry I"m a total noob.

23. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

1.) hit start
    2.) in the search bar, type cmd
    3.) press enter
    4.) type 'net start Wlansvc' without quotes
    5.) it should say Wireless Zero Configuration Service is stopping..

If not, try typing services.msc in the search bar and find the wireless zero service

Apaprently in XP, it is wzcsvc, in Vista it is Wlansvc

24. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response.

*edit* Ok I found out I need to run the cmd as an adminstartor.

Ok so now I know how to stop and start the service, this is a problem though because this is the program I use to connect to the internet. By stopping the service I can't connect to the internet. Is there another way to connect? Or am I missing something?

*edit*

Ok I found out that you need a seperate utility to run your wireless if you disable vista's. Are you simply disabling wireless or are you using a seperate utility, if so which one?

Anyways, I took another members advice and I installed Vista-Anti-Lag and so far I'm pretty happy. I've been listening to audio for 15 minutes and I think I may have heard one crackle but not sure to be honest. I turned it off and the audio crackling is just horrible. Well so far my Vista problems are solved...for the time being.

If you have a better method though let me know.

25. jolleboy macrumors newbie

External sound card a solution?!

Hi!

I am using imac 24" white ed. middle 2007. I use Vista 32 and have just the same problem with the audio cracks and freezes as everyone else here :D

I read this thread and installed Vista anti-lag. Now the cracks and freezes stopped like a miracle! :cool:

Now to my question - If i use an external audio usb interface, will the cracks and freezes go away (without having to have vista anti lag active)???

Greatful for answers :)

// A newly registered MacRumors forum member