Bootcamp Gone After Installing Windows 7 RTM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevhui, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

Hi,

I use SL Bootcamp Assistance and installed Windows 7 RTM on my Mac mini, but after installation no Bootcamp in Windows.

My Mac Mini use an Apple mouse but a wireless PC keyboard.

My questions are:

1. Anyway to get the Bootcamp back so I can choose to boot in Mac OS X?

2. With the PC keyboard, how to "option-key" so I can select the boot device while power on?

BTW I purchased my Mac Mini in April 2009 and did a brand new install of SL. I noticed when used Bootcamp Assistance it said my machine cannot support x64, but I followed a post in this forum to "force run" BootCampx64 under /Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple of the SL DVD. Is it the reason why Bootcamp is
    gone?

Many thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think you mean the Boot Camp tools in Windows.

The new, updated tools and drivers are on the Snow Leopard DVD. Insert the DVD and it should auto-launch the installer.

The only thing the Boot Camp Assistant does is create or remove the Windows partition. Once you have installed Windows, you have to install the Boot Camp tools and drivers. If you haven't already, review the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide (you can always get it by running the Boot Camp Assistant and clicking the "Print Installation & Setup Guide").

3. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks you are right I mixed up the terms.

What I really meant was In installed Windows 7, then I inserted the SL DVD. A setup program automatically ran but it said my machine does not support x64 version.

So I force ran the /BootCamp/Drivers/Apple/BootCamp64, which was successful - I got sounds and better display resolution so I believed it was installed successfully. But I cannot find BootCamp in the Control Panel (I changed to icon view but still did not see Bootcamp).

So now I don't know how to switch between WIndows 7 and Mac OS X SL.

Thanks.

4. Shownarou macrumors regular

Have you tried holding alt "option" while booting?

5. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

But my PC keyboard does not have an option key. I tried pressing the Windows key but it did not work.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I haven't used a PC keyboard in years [on a Mac], but my first guess would be to use the ALT key for "option".

7. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks just tried but it still does not work :-(

8. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, just realized I was installing Windows 7 RTM 64bit version, which I think not supported even with SL :-(

9. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

The ALT key on both my Hackintosh computer's PS2 keyboards mimics the Open Apple key AKA (CMD) Command key.

To get the Option key, you will need to use the "Remap" keyboard.

10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

insert windows 7 32bit cd into your mac and install that, choose the bootcamp partition and rewrite over it. Insert your SL dvd and the thingimibobs will auto-install and then hey presto, you'll have your boot in osx back... if that fails, insert the SL dvd and then boot holding alt or cmd or whatever and load the SL dvd and have a play in the startup settings [​IMG]

11. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Only an Apple wireless kb will work in bootcamp. Get a USB PC keyboard.