Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Edit:
BootCamp 6 has been rolled out now. Before you apply the solutions discussed in this thread, please check the BootCamp 6 thread first.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...6-no-support-for-systems-before-2012.1907386/

Start:

Working with OS X Mavericks and BootCamp Windows 7 Pro I have not been very interested in my MacBook Pro compatibility related to Win 8/8.1. In fact, the MBP mid 2010 13" model 7.1 is not supported by Apple for Win 8/8.1.

This week everything changed for me with the technical preview of Windows 10. It seems to be good and I am considering it as my next second OS ( beside OS X ) on my MBP.

Here is the problem: If you just install the drivers from BootCamp distributions, they will install but some of them will not work. Reason for this is that BootCamp.exe needs to run on your Windows installation, so that you will have full Keyboard support including backlight, Touchpad support, OS X filesystem support and so on. But the Windows BootCamp Setup kicks you out and reports an "unsupported hardware".

Now, here is the solution:

BootCamp Installation for "unsupported Mac's" - W8 / W8.1 / W10
---------------------------------------------------------------

a) Download BootCamp 5.1.5621.zip <=== please choose the most recent version for your system ===>
b) Create a folder C:\Insttemp WX
c) Copy the downloaded file to C:\Insttemp WX
d) Extract the downloaded file to C:\Insttemp WX ( so that you can see a C:\Insttemp WX\Bootcamp folder after extraction )
e) Navigate to C:\Insttemp WX\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple
f) Right-click on "BootCamp" and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
g) Click "Test the program, ignore the message about more needed rights and exit the program
h) In the Start menu, search for "cmd.exe" and run as administrator
i) Change directory to C:\Insttemp WX\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple
j) Execute "BootCamp.msi" and follow the instructions
k) Reboot your system as advised from the BootCamp installation program
l) Enjoy your "unsupported" Mac

On some systems ( like my MacBook Pro 13", mid 2010, model 7,1 ) other device drivers are required as well. You can check this using the device manager. In my case it was "Other devices - Coprocessor" and "Other devices - SM Bus Controller".

Additional Steps for my MacBook Pro
-----------------------------------

m) Delete all contents of C:\Insttemp WX
n) Download BootCamp 4.0.4033.zip <=== please choose the most recent version for your system ===>
o) Copy the downloaded file to C:\Insttemp WX
p) Extract the downloaded file to C:\Insttemp WX ( so that you can see a C:\Insttemp WX\Bootcamp folder after extraction )
q) In device manager, navigate to "Other devices - Coprocessor" and select it
r) Driver -> Update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> C:\Insttemp WX\BootCamp\Drivers\NVidia\NVidiaChipset64\SMU and click next. Wait until the update is finished.
s) In device manager, navigate to "Other devices - SM Bus Controller" and select it
t) Driver -> Update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> C:\Insttemp WX\BootCamp\Drivers\NVidia\NVidiaChipset64\SMBUS and click next. Wait until the update is finished.
u) Reboot your Mac

You are done.

:)

Attachments

• Windows 10.png
    Windows 10.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 4,761
Last edited:

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
If I may ask, when you are downloading, unzipping, and copying the Bootcamp 5.1.xxx files, are you doing this from within your Win 7 install?

I would like to install Win 8.1 on a 2007 MBP, but the only other copy of Windows which I have available is Win XP Pro SP2.

What do I need to do / Where do I need to be before beginning your instructions?

Also, can I use Win 8 32 bit or do I need Win 8 64 bit?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
If I may ask, when you are downloading, unzipping, and copying the Bootcamp 5.1.xxx files, are you doing this from within your Win 7 install?

I would like to install Win 8.1 on a 2007 MBP, but the only other copy of Windows which I have available is Win XP Pro SP2.

What do I need to do / Where do I need to be before beginning your instructions?

Also, can I use Win 8 32 bit or do I need Win 8 64 bit?

I evaluated ( checked which version I need for my MBP ), downloaded and unzipped the BootCamp drivers in advance of the Windows 10 installation and saved them on an external drive, using Windows 7. You can do this with Windows XP as well.

Technically this is not needed ( when you are sure to get an Internet connection with the standard Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 drivers ) because you have an Internet Explorer and unzipping is embedded in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10, you could do this with the new installed OS as well. It was just more comfortable for me to use an existing installation to get BootCamp.

As far as I know, BootCamp 5 drivers are 64-bit only. So if you use BootCamp 5 drivers, you need Windows x64.

Last edited:

pointvicente

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I've tried using the same procedure as above in my 2009 macbook unibody but after installing bootcamp (4 or 5) windows 10 does not allow me to boot back into the system. I receive the infamous automatic repair loop. At first i thought it was office 2007 but confirmed it after several attempts that it was the bootcamp & drivers. System restore works but now i have no sound trackpad seems ok but i would be nice to have sound.

yxkwvem1

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2015
Did you use bootcamp 4 or 5? I used the above procedure on a 2009 macbook unibody (plastic) with bootcamp 5 and windows 8 64 bit. The only differences is that I didn't follow steps r-u. I let windows update tell me a few days later there was a nvidia update and installed that to fix the co-processor issue. I didn't touch anything with smb bus.

I'm planning on using the same procedure on windows 10 if it works...

Also those of us on windows 8/8.1 with unsupported macs. Should we clean install windows 10 or upgrade? I don't care for reinstalling any of the apps with a clean install, but the drivers could be an issue.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
I updated Windows 7 Pro to the official Windows 10 Pro version today. The method described in posting #1 still works ;)

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Did you use bootcamp 4 or 5? I used the above procedure on a 2009 macbook unibody (plastic) with bootcamp 5 and windows 8 64 bit. The only differences is that I didn't follow steps r-u. I let windows update tell me a few days later there was a nvidia update and installed that to fix the co-processor issue. I didn't touch anything with smb bus.

I'm planning on using the same procedure on windows 10 if it works...

Also those of us on windows 8/8.1 with unsupported macs. Should we clean install windows 10 or upgrade? I don't care for reinstalling any of the apps with a clean install, but the drivers could be an issue.

You need to update from Windows 7 or Windows 8.x to get your free Windows 10 license. Select "keep nothing" in the update process and install BootCamp as mentioned, in case you want a fresh install.

BlAze_103

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
@macenied , I probably have the exact same macbook you have, i just wanna clarify. do i need BootCamp 5.1.5621.zip? Cause my mac doesnt support it in the list. If not, do i just use BootCamp 4.0.4033.zip from the first step to the last?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
If you have the same MBP, use the same files. The MBP is not listed because it is not officially supported.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
@macenied Alright, so i'll just use BootCamp 4.0.4033.zip all the way?

No. You want to install the latest compatible drivers, so use the files I used. BootCamp 5 is for Windows 8/8.1. Use only BootCamp 4 drivers ( for Windows 7 ) where there are no BootCamp 5 drivers.

After the upgrade Windows will install a more new display driver. The newer display driver does not work properly. Tell Windows not to install new drivers, remove the new driver and install Apple Nvidia version 332.28 again ( from BootCamp 5 ).

If you run Windows 10 BootCamp backups, look at my postings in this thread how do deactivate applehfs.sys and how to get and install a working HFS+ driver. The applehfs.sys driver causes VSS problems unter Windows 10.

Last edited:

BlAze_103

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
@macenied so the display driver thing is the additional steps part on your post? (These questions might be stupid but i just wanna make sure. Don't really wanna mess up anything.)

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
@macenied so the display driver thing is the additional steps part on your post? (These questions might be stupid but i just wanna make sure. Don't really wanna mess up anything.)

Steps: W10 Update, BC 5 drivers, BC 4 drivers, display driver, HFS+ driver. BC must be installed as described in the first posting. Backup your system before ( image & files) so that you can roll back.

Reason for this "patchwork" is that Apple does not support Windows 8/8.1 for the MBP 7.1 (13). If you install accordingly, you will have a perfect working system again, running W10 instead of W7 before. I did it on the weekend and I use the MBP with W10 now. I would do the update again, the system got just better ...

Last edited:

BlAze_103

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
@macenied What do you mean by:
i)Change directory to C:\Insttemp WX\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple
j) Execute "BootCamp.msi" and follow the instructions

I dont get the Change directory part.

TBTechMo

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
Hello,
Do you have Full Support for the 320M GPU?
If i try to install the driver of Bootcamp 5 the screen flashes and the Mac restarts.
If i leave it at VGA compatible then evertyhings works, but no Second screen ect.
Any ideas?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Hello,
Do you have Full Support for the 320M GPU?
If i try to install the driver of Bootcamp 5 the screen flashes and the Mac restarts.
If i leave it at VGA compatible then evertyhings works, but no Second screen ect.
Any ideas?

Yes, the 320M GPU works on my MPB. You need the NVidia driver version 332.28 to get it to work.

TBTechMo

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
I Tried but did not work.
Either it crashes on the installation or it is not possible to Start Any more without deleting the driver in safemode..

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
I Tried but did not work.
Either it crashes on the installation or it is not possible to Start Any more without deleting the driver in safemode..

It works here, I'm typing on this system currently. W10 Pro on MBP 7.1.

TBTechMo

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
Ok let me rewind...

Windows 10 installation
Disable auto update drivers of windows
Bootcamp 5 (same version as you mention above)
Bootcamp 4 SMU and SMBus
Reboot
For me start and flashing screen -> restart -> repair

Did I forget something?

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Ok let me rewind...

Windows 10 installation
Disable auto update drivers of windows
Bootcamp 5 (same version as you mention above)
Bootcamp 4 SMU and SMBus
Reboot
For me start and flashing screen -> restart -> repair

Did I forget something?

please try to:

temporary disconntect from wifi or ethernet
remove all nvidia drivers using control panel - programs - all green NVidia icon programs
reboot windows and check if removed, if not do again ( there can be older drivers too )
once everything is removed install 332.28
check if it works now
once you are done connect to wifi or internet again, windows will install a newer driver which has issues, but this is a different story, i am working on it

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
If you run Windows 10 BootCamp backups, look at my postings in this thread how do deactivate applehfs.sys and how to get and install a working HFS+ driver. The applehfs.sys driver causes VSS problems unter Windows 10.
Please can you point me to your post for a working HFS+ driver. I've already disabled the apple one (applehfs.sys) as creating a system image or restore point fails as you say.

Hopefully I'm not going to pay for the paragon one. You may have mentioned already it but I can't find it looking through your posts...

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Please can you point me to your post for a working HFS+ driver. I've already disabled the apple one (applehfs.sys) as creating a system image or restore point fails as you say.

Hopefully I'm not going to pay for the paragon one. You may have mentioned already it but I can't find it looking through your posts...
You go for the free Paragon HFS+ Windows 8/8.1 driver ;) . No issues so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.