Bootcamp on MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yusukeaoki, Mar 24, 2011.

1. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hello all,
    I have a 2011 2.2GHz MacBook Pro 17in and wanted to install windows through bootcamp. I was thinking to install "Windows XP Pro x64 edition"

So I did the partition and I got a message from OS X saying I need a Windows 7 Home premium, pro, or ultimate.

Do I really need a 7? Can I just install XP or no?

Attached Files:

2. Derango macrumors regular

XP is no longer supported on the new macbooks as an option.

And honestly, XP x64 is terrible. Should have never been made. Poor driver support, crappy compatibility with software applications...I'd wish windows ME on somebody back in the day before I'd wish 64-bit XP on somebody.

If you want to run a 64 bit OS you're better off running windows 7.

3. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

So it HAS to be an 7 now?
    No XP? No Vista?

and yeah Id rather have the original 32bit XP but I got this copy for free so hehe

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

You'd be nuts to want Vista over W7.

5. enklined macrumors 6502

This.

6. sydenham macrumors regular

Are you sure XP isn't supported anymore? How much Ram do you have? It might be that XP can't deal with 8gb when your installing. Maybe it would be worth it to take your hard drive out and put it in an external case and load it from your iMac.

7. macimby macrumors newbie

Ditto, ... or to want XP over W7 unless you can't afford W7. (It is a little pricey if not pre-installed on a PC.)

8. Cantisama macrumors member

Not if you already have a Vista license...
    Otherwise, W7 > Vista no contest.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4410
    XP and Vista are no longer supported. Doesn't mean it's impossible, just means you won't get any drivers or help from Apple.

9. sydenham macrumors regular

Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for the info.

10. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I was always a Mac OS guy and used little bit of XP.
    Never used 7 so i cant really say anything.

And I received a XP 64 from my friend for free so I was thinking to install it but guess not...

Is 7 really that good? Ive never tried it before...
    If so which do you recommend? Home P? Pro? Ultimate?
    than 32bit or 64bit?

sorry for all this... im really a windows noob:(

11. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Windows 7 is pretty darn good. It's true, and run 64-bit Home Premium. It should have everything you need.

12. sydenham macrumors regular

Or just get Fusion and install xp as a virtual machine. It will work remarkably well on your computer.

13. axu539 macrumors 6502a

May I ask why you need to install Windows? It doesn't seem like you've used Windows much, if at all, before, so are you just installing it for kicks?

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

7 is absolutely pro, and I've used every windows OS - it's easily the best; not because it's the recent, but because it works well. If you really need XP you can run the included XP VM ('Win XP Mode') for apps that require it.

I'd just scrounge up the coin or sell off the xp license if your eula allows (no student reselling :D). It's seriously time to move on. I know, i've been telling myself i'd stay on Win XP until we no longer use kb and mouse to interact w/ computers.

15. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well as a Mac user, I'm pretty sure you know most of needed application or common application is mostly .exe file.
    I can use winebottle app to run some apps but all of them arent supported...

I was thinking to use it for apps that only run on windows and maybe play some game. Thats why I only gave 40GB partition:)

16. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Using a parallel machine isn't bad although it will need a lot of CPU power especially for gaming.
    Mine is only 2.2GHz quad i7 and 4GB RAM.
    If I use fusion III and play lets say L4D2, even with turbo boost (3.3GHz) its still gonna get pretty laggy...

17. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Thank you for the advice XD
    Well pro and ultimate have XP mode installed although I do not feel like paying $150~300 for a OS that Im only gonna use for gaming and other hehe

I was looking at a Home Premium but still deciding on 32 or 64.
    I heard some apps dont run in 64 HP so...

18. T-bag Guest

I got a 2011 MBP with a 128GB SSD drive, and I too want to run xp even though I have both 32 and 64 bit licenses of 7. I only gotta run a couple of apps (staad pro and mathcad) for engineering purposes at school, and intend to sacrifice as little amount of space as possible. Currently I have 7 32bit installed on a 30GB bootcamp partition, with 12 GB free in win, which feels crazy much. Should I rather run a virtual machine for this? I reckon XP will work for that?