Bootcamp Partitioning Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iShawna, Jul 16, 2011.

1. iShawna macrumors newbie

:apple:My mac wont partition its hard drive plz help :apple:

Attached Files:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

What does the partition map look like in Disk Utility?

3. iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie

4. gr8tfly, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

To see the map, click on the device itself - i.e. Where it says "1 TB......".

However, I can see already the drive has more than a single partition, and, unless you've changed the second partition's name, it's not a Bootcamp partition.

So, what the error message says is exactly right. Do you have a place where you can move what's on "Backup"? For instance, move it to a folder on the first partition. In reality, it's not the best idea to have a backup on the same physical drive anyway.

I would highly recommend you use Time Machine or other method to backup your boot volume ("Macintosh HD") before doing the following steps.

Once the partition is emptied, you can delete it, then expand the original partition to use up the free space [created when the "Backup" partition was removed]. When you have the drive back to the single partition, you should be able to use the Bootcamp Assistant to create the Bootcamp partition, then install Windows following the BC guide.

If you're not sure how to manage partitions using Disk Utility, I'm fairly sure there are guides here that will help. If you still have questions, I'd (or someone else would) be happy to assist. When dealing with partitions, it's better to ask first - usually, there's no undo.

5. iShawna thread starter macrumors newbie