Bootcamp Problems Installing Win Xp!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Quasiperfectto, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Quasiperfectto macrumors member

I have been trying to install Win xp home edition since this morning. I even got on with Apple Customer Service to no avail. The problem is as follows:

-I have an original Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
    -Bootcamp had already been updated to 2.1

When I restart the computer to complete the conversion to SP3, I get an error message saying that the product key has a problem etc.. It should not have a problem, being that it is a certified copy of Microsoft Win XP sp2. I have to over and over again take the program out and reinstall it as instructed, and still get the error message. HELP!!! Maybe someone here has something to help me. Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm assuming it was activated on another machine. I had a similar message installing in Parallels.

There should be a phone number you can call. It's a pretty quick process, they will just do a phone activation, and it won't change your product key.

3. Quasiperfectto thread starter macrumors member

The copy of Windows Home Edition SP2 is original and it had no problem staying SP2. The issue is when I try to updated to SP3, after boot camp is running. Towards the end of all the updates, when I'm restarting the computer, it blocks from opening windows saying that the product key is invalid etc... I guess I'll stay without windows in my iMac. Windows not compatible with Apple Period!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did you even read gr8tfly's message? You are simply having a problem with installing a version of Windows that has already been installed elsewhere. Call Microsoft and ask them to activate your product key. Whether you're using a Mac or not isn't relevant.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have XP PRO, with SP3, running fine in BC (17", UB MBP, 2.66GHz).

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Regardless of how many computers that key is used on, SP3 should install.

Have you called Microsoft?

7. Quasiperfectto thread starter macrumors member

I just called Microsoft and they are closed. I'll try them tomorrow. Thanks