Bootcamp vs. Parallels/VMware (W7)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noobinator, Apr 19, 2010.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

Just got my MBP 13 and installed W7 64bit through bootcamp. Now I'm wondering if parallels or vmware would be better for me. I only need to go into windows mainly for 1 game that I play. It's a very simple game but only works on windows. It is not a game that requires many resources at all. My 5 year old toshiba did just fine with it as well as my 8 year old desktop.

1. How's the battery life running parallels as opposed to bootcamp with w7? My battery life is horrible when I boot into windows.

2. Which would you prefer? Parallels or VMware?

Thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Stability and work - VMware
    Gaming and graphics - Parallels.

That is the general consensus of things. Also, battery life will be better in bootcamp rather than a virtual machine. Why? Because in bootcamp the CPU and all components are working for 1 OS, while in a virtual machine, the CPU is handling extra load from Windows and the other components are being pinged by Windows for other functions. Extra work, equals extra battery juice being drained.

I prefer VMware.

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

can you get deals on VMware anywhere or should I just buy it direct from them?

4. ttran88 macrumors regular

I tried parallels and had a hard trouble getting it to work. then I tried vmware fusion and it works like a charm.

conclusion

vmware +1 for working

5. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

By chance do either offer access through cell phones as well? I thought I heard someone say something about this?

6. stevespa macrumors member

I tried both, and I had no success with VMWare. Parallels 5 was significantly better for me than VMWare 3. Parallels was signficantly faster, ran aero better, much more stable (BSOD's in VMWare). For me, it is parallels hands down.

Battery life will be significantly reduced, but it depends on how hard you are taxing your virtual machine. I can get some decent life if I am just emailing/web surfing. More tasks = more cpu = less battery.

7. Quahog macrumors member

I use VMware 3....

I have used VM Ware for years on a Vista PC, where the VM machine ran XP, and it was a machine I could screw with and not be afraid to download anything, then just replace the image.

Anyway, back to my MBP i7 running VMWARE, its perfect. It integrates so seamlessly, I love basically having a Windows START button at the top of my OS X screen, and being able to have Windows "windows" integrated in OS X. I have no problems, and I still get 5-6 hours of battery life running light duty Windows tasks.

8. xibis macrumors member

I would imagine that bootcamp would be the better option for any games.

9. zer0sum macrumors member

You could always give VirtualBox a shot as well...best of all it is free :D

Z

10. TheRekz macrumors regular

I was just about to install parallel on my mac

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Both. Apple sells it and VMware also does.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What do you mean by this? :confused:

13. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I saw that parallels allow you access to your macbook pro through your iphone. Wasn't sure if this was included with parallels or just something you get separately.

14. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

Fusion 2 ok?

I don't need the latest and greatest, just something to work with transcription software and scrapbook software for my wife. Just sold the windows laptop. Also, is it ok with any and all combinations? I.e. Snow leapord or just leapord and xp/vista/win7? Just want to make sure I don't buy something incompatible. My iMac still just has leapord and was thinkingof upgrading so both systems are the same. Worth it? Any help is appreciated as I have to get something coming by tonight.