bootcamp windows 10 on late 2013 15"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mickeydean, Nov 26, 2016.

1. mickeydean macrumors 6502

Just needed to use access and some other windows only software.

Any tips on antivirus and other free software?

Only used mac since 2008.

Any issues people have encountered before with bootcamp on the late 2013 15" hardware ( 750, 1tb, 16gb, etc)?

Thanks

2. aced411 macrumors 6502

As long as you sure the Windows updates are current, built in Defender AntiVirus for Windows 10 is pretty solid. I wouldn't waste any money on AV software.

3. Mikael H macrumors 6502

I beg to differ. Defender has been utter crap since Microsoft stepped out of that business a few years ago.

There's no replacement for critical thinking when using a computer, but if you're worried about malware, at least get some malware protection that has a chance of catching the new and dangerous stuff.

Take a look at the following list and take a pick out of the top-rated suites.
    https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/

4. aced411 macrumors 6502

I've been using Microsoft's antivirus software since they started developing their own (Security Essentials) and have found it to be lean and effective. They merged Essentials with Defender starting with Windows 8. When they launched the new Defender there was a lot of blow-back from 3rd party competition. Norton was pissed. They are under a lot of pressure to keep it under the radar, but Defender is one of Windows 10's best kept secrets. There are plenty of "articles" that are ready to convince you to spend money on additional products.

5. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Security Essentials started out as an excellent product, I'll grant you that, but it flunked tests utterly in 2012 and never recovered.
    Defender still works primarily based on file signatures, from what I understand. A recent test we performed at work just for fun showed that a new malware file that Trend killed immediately was left alone for over three days by a Windows 10 machine with Defender only until it finally caught on and removed it.

6. aced411 macrumors 6502

Fair enough. I'm not saying I would recommend it for an enterprise image but it's served me well on home machines. Curious though, was that relying on real time scanning or was the scan missing it entirely?

7. Mikael H macrumors 6502

To be fair it was the real time scan that missed the file.

I guess this is something of a religious matter: As I said earlier, the best overall protection probably is to be wise about how you use your computer. But if you choose to trust a malware protection software, it definitely pays to a) choose one of the top-ranked ones, and b) regularly follow the ranking and switch products if yours falls out of the top tier.
    No malware protection software can be good at everything; they all make compromises, and that means that at any given time, different products will not be equally good at intercepting the major threats.

8. jasonj566 macrumors member

AVG was sued and did a big settlement for putting crapware within their software during the install. It also was allowing spyware

9. Talukdar macrumors member

Talukdar

For the last severel months I am using SafeBytes. It's serving me very well than others those I used before. Many people think that free antivirus products aren't good enough. But the truth is that some of them are as good as the paid antiviruses. I used both. But after using SafeBytes for the last few months I'm pretty much sure that it is better than the paid one that I used before.