Bootcamp+Windows XP+Games+Partition Advice

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Keniff, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Keniff, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011

Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Can anyone give me the right amount to Partition off for Windows XP+Bootcamp+Games?
    Thanks in advance...
    K.

2. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

The "right" amount is a bit subjective. WinXP requires 1.5GB of space, but you'll also need room for additional hardware drivers, room for temporary space/virtual memory, and room for games. You'll need to consider how much space your games will need. On my 500GB HDD, I partitioned off 100GB. It's not nearly enough for all the games in my library, but it allows me to have several of them installed while running Win 7.

However, I don't think there's a right answer that anyone other than you can provide. Also, read the Bootcamp message and make sure it supports WinXP. I know the 2011 MBPs do not.

4. jegbook macrumors regular

Hmmm. Well, if you just wanted XP and basic apps, crikey, 10GB would probably be enough (provided you wouldn't have GBs of e-mail in Outlook or something). 15 or 20 would be safer.

But you add games and, well, it all depends on how many and which games. An average graphical game these days is 4GB minimum. Dragon Age: Origins is 17GB! So, 60GB could be plenty, but you put 4 or 5 games on there at 7GB a piece, and factoring in at least 15% free space for good measure, 60GB could feel snug pretty quickly.
    So, 60GB isn't a bad answer, and you can change it later on with the help of Winclone and Disk Utility partition resizing without reformatting OSX partition, but try to get an idea of which games you know or think you will install and how much space they take up.

Cheers.

(And why XP and no Win 7?! ;) )

5. jegbook macrumors regular

Is there an echo in here? :)

Good point about no official support for XP on current Macs--Win 7 only, if I'm not mistaken. Though, if you google around, it seems possible to get most things working. Would be a little easier, I think, on a desktop than a laptop.

Happy computing.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My MPB has a 200GB hardrive. I'm running 32 bit Vista. I tend to play Windows games so I allocated 80GB to Windows but then purchased two small (3x5x.5") travel hard drives- a 200GB drive for Windows and a 500GB drive for Mac stuff. This arrangement has worked well for me.

7. Snesley Wipes macrumors regular

I did 50GB. I only play CS and TF2 though... only using 25GB for those with OS, etc...

8. Kasalic macrumors regular

Simple answer - No we can't.

Longer answer - Only you know how many games you will be wanting to install on XP, similar to the above poster, I only play one game which requires Windows, so I set mine to 40GB, which was enough for OS and the game.

One piece of advice I would give you is to partition your drive into 3, one for Mac OS, one for Windows and a third 'spare' partition. THat way if you find yourself running out of space on either Mac or Windows you can format the 'spare' partition appropriately, or even split the spare into two.

9. aerring macrumors newbie

i just split my HD in half, which is probably incredibly unnecessary seeing as that gives windows 250 gigs when i only play one game on it right now....haha...but then again i don't need that much space on mac either.

honestly i think it depends on how many games you plan on installing and their sizes. fi you're going to have a lot of huge games on there like mmo's and whatnot, apply liberal gigs.