Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yettimillan, Aug 8, 2009.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi, ive just watched an apple video and it says that bootcamp already comes with the mac.

Does this mean windows is there as well or do i still have to buy it?

Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You need to provide your own copy on CD/DVD, then install it.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

You have to have a copy of Windows and then you have to install it.

4. celticpride678

You have to provide your own copy of Windows XP or Vista to be able to run Boot Camp on your Mac. It does NOT come with it.

5. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks, i have a disk but im not sure if its an actual copy of the os or a backup disk, i got it with my old windows pc.

If I try it anyway, will it mess my mac up or shall i try it?

Ahh the disk says for distribution with a new acer pc only?

6. Kyeris macrumors 6502

It shouldn't mess up your mac if you use Boot Camp. Do you have a CD key with the windows cd and what does it say on it?

7. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well about a month ago, my windows pc messed up as usual so it totally doesnt work. I think the hard drive failed or something.

Well when i tried to install it, it worked up to a point but then i couldn't selected a disk to use, thats why i think its the HD.

I used the code on the back of the laptop which worked, so i guess if i use that i can just use the code off of the laptop...is that ok although the copy is specially for an acer laptop?

And also can i delete the partition if i cant install windows?

8. celticpride678

It should work fine, but I am not certain.

Yes, use the Boot Camp assistant to remove the Window partition if something goes wrong.

9. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

ok just had a look and its a windows anytime upgrade disk.

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Make sure you have a backup of your files on the mac before you install windows. Most likely it won't happen, but the partitioning of the disk or the windows install could have a problem and you could lose everything. And when you are installing windows make sure you select the correct partition to install windows on. If you select your mac partition or any other partition besides the bootcamp partition, you could lose all you data (that is why you back up). If you have an external hard drive, use time machine to back up your drive before you proceed with bootcamp.

11. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm i did it, and it was working but then said that the partition had to be ntfs....

So how do i do this?

12. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Is this when you're installing windows? Is the background completely blue?

Theres a key you need to push to create a new partition, the legend that shows you which key to push should be near the bottom of the screen.

Edit: just looked it up. when you get to the page that should
    list your partitions (you should see something that says unpartitioned space) push C.

P.S. bumping isn't the way to make friends on this forum :rolleyes:

13. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, no the screen isn't totally blue its a windows install screen.

I was going to put it into the unpartitioned part but i thought that i should be putting it into the bootcamp section?

And sorry for bumping but I was bored and getting no replies quickly:(

Ok i have just tried to do it and got to this point.[​IMG] Thats the partition which i think i created on bootcamp...as you may be able to see the next button is pale so i cannot click on it.

This is what it says for unallocated space. [​IMG]

Im pretty sure this will install windows, its just a matter of getting the partition correct.

Also if this doesn't work can i install it onto a 4gb memory stick?

Thanks

14. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I can't remember when I installed XP on my MacBook with boot camp exactly what you saw in terms of partitioning.

Either you'll see your mac partition and a second partition that boot camp made for you that you can just select, or you have to select the second partition and format it to ntfs.

15. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for helping me.

I have successfully installed windows however when i start up my mac it goes straight into os x and doesn't give me the option to boot to windows...how can i make it give me the option?

Thanks

16. Kyeris macrumors 6502

You can hold down Option at bootup to choose the OS to load. Change the default OS to startup by going to System Prefrences -> Startup and choose the OS you want.

Also, when you get into Windows put in your Leopard CD that came with your Mac and install the extra tools that Apple made for windows. Once these are installed you'll get a program in the taskbar in the right corner that lets you change various options as well as switch to your Mac partition.

17. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Yey thank you!!!!

It works!!! oh and by the way I only want windows to play the games, I would rather not use it if they worked on mac os x.

Ok i have 2 disks, MacBook applications Install dvd or MacBook Mac OS X Install DVD....which one do I use?

Oh and also I have some questions, Can I use wireless on windows for the updates, and if the windows partition gets a virus does that spread to the mac os?? And is this a normal thing to do....like is it going to ware my hard drive down more or the internal mac hardware??

Thanks

18. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Use the Mac OS X Install disk.

Windows can't read the Mac volume because it's formatted HFS, and secondly it's a Mac! Don't worry about viruses. And sure
    using a computer wears it down over long periods of time, but not really any faster then using OS X would.

Edit: Wi-fi usage is also completely fine.

19. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Kyeris you have really helped me.

Macs are amazing!!!

20. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Anytime! In the beginning I got confused - forgot the upgrade disks could be a vista upgrade. Happy it worked out for you :)

I switched to a mac a few months ago and I love it now too.