Borderlands Coop Issue (Xbox 360)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by mousouchop, Dec 26, 2009.

1. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Okay, so I got my little sister to play Borderlands with me on my Xbox 360 today, and we both had a really good time. However, as I am the only one with an Xbox and therefore the only one that ever bothered to set up a Live account, only my progress was saved. My sister's character was never saved once, and was lost when we turned the system off to take a break.

The system says that we need to have a second profile logged in with a second storage device (i.e. a Xbox 360 Memory Card?)... So, I ordered one off of Amazon.com earlier (along with a neat dual controller docking station) and I am hoping this will solve part of the problem.

I am now wondering what to do about her not having a Live Account/Gamertag. I know that I can make her a Live account free from the Xbox site... But I am not sure as to how I am supposed to get her account info onto the memory card, or if the memory card is even really necessary. Do you think I could just make a gamertag and add it to the system somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am normally very good with technology-- but Xbox Live sh** is the worst system setup I have ever seen in my life. So confusing. >/

Kinda really dumb that I need to go through all this just to save a coop game. You'd think you could opt out of saving that character as someone else's toon and just have it save as a supporting toon on your console. GRRRRR!

2. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Yes. You can create a free Xbox Live Silver account on either xbox.com or the console itself. If you make it on the console, you are good to go at that point. If you make it on the website, you just need to "recover your gamertag" to the console, and then it will be there.

Also, you can have more than one account on a single console. So, if you have a hard drive on your console, you don't really need the memory unit for the second account. If you need to move the account to another console, or want to take yours with you to a friends house, then sure the memory unit is perfect. But, the hard drive will suffice just fine for multiple accounts on one console.

As for Borderlands itself, I don't know if it specifically needs a separate storage location. That game, because of the way it plays, might save constantly as you go, so they might require a separate storage location for each of the 2 local players. I don't know specifically, but that is entirely possible, and seems quite logical to me actually.
    Maybe I'm not understanding things correctly, but I'm not sure why you think the game would do what you want it to. I mean, yea it's a bummer that you played a bunch, and then found out it didn't save. But honestly, anytime I might find myself in a possible situation like that, I try to read up on it BEFORE I get there. Lesson learned for you. Always read the manual before embarking into a game like that.

3. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

We got the warning that the second player's data would not be saved before we started, and were well aware before, during and after we played. Seeing as it said I needed a second profile AND storage unit, we just accepted that we couldn't save her progress and started playing-- because I was too excited to wait!

Today, due to my sister's excitement, I decided to experiment sans-memory card, creating a new profile and live account for her on my harddrive. We were indeed able to log into and save the progress of both profiles. Unless I am mistaken, the Borderlands' warning message is misleading. Had I known only a second profile with shared storage was required, I would have done so before the initial play.

In anycase, thank you for your response! I was able to resolve this issue on my own with some frustrating exploring (had to use my Macbook to connect my Xbox to the internet to register her for Xbox Live, which caused my system to install tons of updates because it hasn't been connected to the internet in over a year).

All is well now though! We are shooting those skags and bandits with the 2 profiles from the 1 hard drive. :)

4. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Might have just been worded funny. Maybe it just in order to save player 2, a second profile and A storage unit were needed, but not necessarily a second storage unit. I don't know specifically what the message said, but just from what you've said, I could see how what you thought it implied WAS required.

Either way, glad things are sorted. I'm planning on getting that game pretty soon. I'm still working through a few other games from this fall, but will be moving on to Borderlands soon. I have heard the game described as Crackdown mixed with Fallout 3. If that is the case, this could be one of the best games ever, because those are two of my all-time favorite games. Have you played either of those, and if so, is that description fairly accurate?

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My experience for two to play Borderlands offline coop, you only need one storage device, the hd on your XBox, if you have a hd. And you need to have XBox live accounts for each person playing which is how it stores game progress (I believe) and which are free for the silver account.