borrow and activate an old iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ceuyan, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ceuyan macrumors member

i have a friend with a jail broken iphone which he uses with t-mobile. can i borrow that iphone and activate it with att to be eligible for the iphone 3g at 199?

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I would think so, but you would have to take the phone back to its original settings so you can activate through iTunes.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That's easy enough!

4. ceuyan thread starter macrumors member

can someone confirm that this will work?

5. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you can't confirm it will work, because it isn't july 11 yet, everything is speculation

6. dgouldin macrumors member

I can confirm that activating an iPhone today will pretty much instantly change your eligibility status. I checked mine online about 20 minutes after activating and it had changed from telling me I would be eligible to upgrade in October to telling me I was now eligible to upgrade.

7. ceuyan thread starter macrumors member

There is a way to confirm this. If someone were to try it and check if their eligibility status were to change.

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I think it would be worth a shot. I mean you are really not out anything. Just borrow an iPhone and activate it through iTunes. If it works great, if not change your plan back.

AT&T says you are eligible if you purchased an iPhone prior to July 11th. It's worth a shot if you can save $200.

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

and has the friend checked to see if you have taken away his eligibility?

so say you borrow the phone from a friend to do this, and you get your eligibility changed, has anyone had their friend check their eligibility immediately after you check users before any other changes are made to see if they didn't just transfer it over to you?

10. ceuyan thread starter macrumors member

well my friend is with t-mobile. he jail broke his phone

11. Has03 macrumors newbie

Actually, I was wondering about this too. I was gonna use my friend's unlocked tmobile iphone and put my sim in and then add the data plan back onto our account. So, I was wondering if that would work and if it would mess up my friends phone in any way? (Like, would it become locked again or mess anything of theirs up?)

12. dgouldin macrumors member

Can't say as to whether that would mess up your friend's eligibility. I don't know if they're tracking it by device ID or not.

13. Has03 macrumors newbie

no no, the eligibility isnt an issue because they have TMobile. I'm just wondering if their phone becomes locked again or not. I doubt it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure.

14. sjb macrumors regular

My buddy is asking me to do the same thing. I currently have an active iPhone on my account, it is not unlocked or anything like that, just a standard out of the box iPhone.

My buddy had an iPhone but sold it about a month ago in anticipation of the 3g launch. He, however, changed his plan with AT&T to not include the iPhone data plan now.

He wants me to let him borrow my iPhone, he'll put his SIM in it, and then activate it on itunes so he can add the iPhone data plan back on his account before 7/11. I then want to take the phone back, put my SIM back in, and continue to operate as usual.

Will this work? Will it remove the iPhone from my account once it sees him activate it on his?

Thanks,

-Steve

15. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Any word? Is it possible or will it steal eligibility from the current AT&T customer?

16. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes it will work, but only until July 11. If you have a valid iPhone voice / data plan combination on your line of service, it will show you as "Upgrade Eligible" in OLAM and you will receive the $199/$299 price. On July 11 the loophole will be closed. As of July 11, when you activate the current iPhone, you will not be "Upgrade Eligible" for the new iPhone 3G. AT&T is promoting a plan where you da "hand-it-down" of your current iPhone. They are considering this a benefit. As an example here is the link to the document that covers how to move your contacts to you new iPhone and what to with your current iPhone.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/Transfer_Contacts.pdf

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Nobody has done it yet so its still all speculation, and isnt that dishonest anyway?

18. iMacUser324 macrumors regular

iMacUser324

19. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

Any updates? Does it affect the other person's use once the old sim card is replaced?

If it works...anyone in Boston want to lend me their own iPhone for $50 cash?

20. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

let us know how it turns out. check your eligibility status online and see if it changes.

21. firewood macrumors 604

How can committing to a two year contract with AT&T be dishonest? And since the 2G contract requires AT&T to send a monthly percentage of your bill to Apple, AT&T still wants you to upgrade ASAP to an even more profitable contract for them (no monthly share given to Apple).

22. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Any word? I'd love to try it out, but I can't do it because the iPhone owner wants to see that it wont F up his account lol.

Let us know asap!

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's only true for current iPhone users, of which the OP is not one.

24. firewood macrumors 604

It seems to be true for any current or potential customer starting a 2 year iPhone contract before the 11th.

They don't care who has the phone, they only care about who has an existing 2 year iPhone contract. They want to get out of those ASAP, so they let anyone with one (started before the 11th) to "upgrade" to a 3G contract that is far more profitable for them (since no monthly cut has to go to Apple).

So if you sign up to give them 24 months worth of money, they are more than happy to let you sign up for 24 months of a lot more money for them. This is not true for any non-iPhone contract customer, since they don't have to give Apple a cut. I have no idea, but maybe the contract terms with Apple changes on the 11th, so the "upgrade" deal is no longer profitable for AT&T.

25. carlitol macrumors member

carlitol

I spoke with a sales rep TODAY who said if I put an iphone on my account before the 11th it would make me eligable for the upgrade as long as the iphone was not registered under another account. The only problem is that the person who actually owns the iphone will not be able to get any kind of discount after i use it. I had to get a new sim card in order for it to work though.

On another note, the rep had just gone through the"iphone class" and said any discounts currently on an account WILL remain on the account.

Hope this helps
    :D:apple: