Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Does anyone have experience in a "cube farm" office? That's where I would be using the Airpod Pros. The cubicle walls are not much higher than waist height , so they are useless at blocking noise.

In my office, people are always joining Web meetings( Webex) , cube meetings with 3-4 people meeting at someone cube. The conversations can be quite loud and distracting while I'm trying to debug applications, troubleshoot a firmware issue, or even be on my own conference bridge conversation.

I current put on my QC35's and crank up the music volume to drown out the noise. However, my Bose QC35's are getting long in the tooth and are doing some dodgey things. For example, I turn them off but they will turn themself on ( button is still in off position ) and they'll are drained when I need them.

Also, the train I take to work is really packed, so trying to fish headphones out of my laptop bag that's on my lap while squeezed in like a sardine can be a challenge. Airpods fit in my coat pocket and are easy to access.

How would Airpod Pros fair in my environment(s)? Worse, same, or better than the Bose QC35's?

Last edited:

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Does anyone have experience in a "cube farm" office? That's where I would be using the Airpod Pros. The cubicle walls are not much higher than waist height , so they are useless at blocking noise.

In my office, people are always joining Web meetings( Webex) , cube meetings with 3-4 people meeting at someone cube. The conversations can be quite loud and distracting while I'm trying to debug applications, troubleshoot a firmware issue, or even be on my own conference bridge conversation.

I current put on QC35's and crank up the music volume to drown out the noise.

How would Airpod Pros fair in my environment? Worse, same, or better than the Bose QC35's?

The AirPod pros don’t drown voices well in a room. I would go with the more comfortable which is the QC35.

Another thing to consider is getting closed can headphones. I have some Mr Speakers Ether CX, and I cannot hear anyone talking to me unless they shout. The padding is comfortable but it seals for sure

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

I current put on QC35's and crank up the music volume to drown out the noise.

How would Airpod Pros fair in my environment? Worse, same, or better than the Bose QC35's?
If you are in the Appl ecosystem, as it seems to be, the best option are AirPods.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have both. The QC35 will cancel more noise and a comfortable but, the AirPods Pro are more comfortable for long periods but, cancel less noise. If noise reduction is most important I would go with QC35. You can get the QC35’s for $279 right now Which is only $30 more than APP’s.

Reactions: CVUSA

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I have both. The QC35 will cancel more noise and a comfortable but, the AirPods Pro are more comfortable for long periods but, cancel less noise. If noise reduction is most important I would go with QC35. You can get the QC35’s for $279 right now Which is only $30 more than APP’s.
If you read my post, you'll see that I have QC35's. I'm looking for something better - in this case more convenient.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I have QC35II's and airpods pro, I honestly use both, QC35 II's are better for noise cancellation IMO but commute and wearing around at work APP are much better, the physical size is the main part, QC35's aren't the slimmest and even getting them out and putting them away is a chore, but that you know! ANC in the airpods is good - it can take out the drone of A/C and traffic, voices it'll dim, put some music on and it's reduced dramatically - just not as good as the Bose offering.

I'm sorely tempted to look at the Bose 700 headphones but my wife will probably lynch me if I do.

Could you hold off till 2020 and look at what Bose is producing with the earbuds 700?

Reactions: jagooch

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I also have the QC35 and APP.

When pausing music the QC35 would be better at downing voices in an office than the APP, both with NC on. If you are playing music, the APPs with either noise cancellation on or off would be absolutely fine.

Just flew 4 flights over thanksgiving and the APPs really are on par with my QC35 on killing engine noise. Switched between them several times and definitely prefer the comfort of the APPs on a plane.

Remember. The BIGGEST factor in how Well the noise cancellation With the APPs work is how well you seal out ambient noise with the best sized tips for your ears. Definitely have to experiment with all sizes.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
The only other option is the Sony WF1000MX3.

The very best NC technology around at the moment, these things are exceptional. They sound fantastic, amazing NC, as you’d expect from a proper headphone and very comfortable as well.

i have APP also and love them, they’re comfortable and convenient and discreet, but for proper NC, the Sony’s are in a league of their own

Jason

Reactions: jagooch and tmt

Thrutheroofnunderground

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2018
North Carolina

I current put on my QC35's and crank up the music volume to drown out the noise. However, my Bose QC35's are getting long in the tooth and are doing some dodgey things. For example, I turn them off but they will turn themself on ( button is still in off position ) and they'll are drained when I need them.

Also, the train I take to work is really packed, so trying to fish headphones out of my laptop bag that's on my lap while squeezed in like a sardine can be a challenge. Airpods fit in my coat pocket and are easy to access.

How would Airpod Pros fair in my environment(s)? Worse, same, or better than the Bose QC35's?

What about the new Bose 700 or whatever they're called? There aren't too many "better" options out there still.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'll check out the Bose 700 and WF1000MX3. Thanks for the tips. Potential good news is my office re-organized and my new location might be quieter. time will tell, but the team I sat near liked to have long discussions about everything except work :)

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Honestly, I have both. QC35 have superior sound isolation (specially for voices) but I stopped using them at the office for one single reason.

Headphone Hair

I shower every morning and if I wear the Bose headphones by mid day I have a weird dent on my head in the middle (where the headphone band sits) so now I use APP and I much prefer them, not only for that but for long term comfort.

Reactions: CVUSA

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
On Amazon get the TaoTronics TT-BH060 they're about $60-70 over the ear noise canceling works really good and Bluetooth. And you can get the AirPods pro for every things else. Over the air is just better if you want to block out a lot of noise especially in an office that's what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.