Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
52,444
14,144
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Boston Globe notes that Apple is planing on building a "flagship" Apple store in Boston.

The Four-story store is expected to be built on Boylston STreet across from the Prudential Center.

Apple is purchasing the building, which currently houses Copy Cop, and is planning to take it down and erect a glass-covered retail ''jewel" within the next two years

Meanwhile, ThinkSecret reports that a new Manhattan, New York store is in the works on Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Street.

The interesting news is that this new New York store will be the first and only Apple Store that will be open 24 hours a day. The store is under construction now and is expected to be open by the end of May.
 

ketha

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2004
23
0
iPods at three in the morning... why?


Still it's all good I suppose.
 
Comment

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
1,529
0
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Cool

That's cool to know that you can go to an apple store anytime a day. I don't know that it would be very profitable but it would be interesting to see. I guess that it will be nice if genius bar is open 24-7.
 
Comment

ketha

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2004
23
0
kornyboy said:
That's cool to know that you can go to an apple store anytime a day. I don't know that it would be very profitable but it would be interesting to see. I guess that it will be nice if genius bar is open 24-7.

apparently it costs nearly as much to keep a shop closed as open, as most of the running costs are the same and any sales cover the costs. I just imagine 'dodgy' types coming in... you'd need security on the door, surely?
 
Comment

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
680
31
Honolulu
I tend to be a Night Owl and anything 24/7 is a great thing to me. I would frequent an Apple store at 2:00 am. 24/7 Genius bar sounds very nice too. Think about it no lines no crowds I could fiddle around with Apple's newest and greatest at my own leisure. I think it could be profitable and the best place for something like this is of course Manhattan. I can picture walking through that Manhattan store at 2 in the morning along with several dozen customers.
 
Comment

spine

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
52
0
warwick RI
I am still waiting for a store in Providence.
Job listings have appeared - but no announcement yet.

Does anyone have info?
 
Comment

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
1,662
14
Birmingham, England
ketha said:
iPods at three in the morning... why?

Well, New York is a 24 hour city and this store is in a huge tourist area near the Plaza Hotel, FAO Schwartz, Bergdorf Goodman and just over from the corner of Central Park. Sales during the day would be high but people are around that area at all hours.

I'm not saying I'd go at 4 in the morning but maybe 2am after a night out or when I get up around 6am (NOT after a night out! ;) ).

I wouldn't be surprised if 2 til 5 is a quiet period but if the rest of the time is so busy it's probably no big loss.
 
Comment

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
245
19
Boston
Nice!

Well, this certainly takes some of the sting out of Stewie Jobs blowing off MacWorld/ Boston. I don't really see much need for 24/7 though, beyond the Genius Bar. I know the building they bought and it's pretty big too. Probably be a floor of Macs and two floors of iPod sleeves.
Woohoo!
 
Comment

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
8,852
0
Murka
every time i'm in NYC i don't sleep much, because there's always so much to do. and a 24hr apple store would definately be a cool thing.

although it would bore the hell out of my other half, as usual. :rolleyes:
 
Comment

ketha

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2004
23
0
nomad01 said:
Well, New York is a 24 hour city and this store is in a huge tourist area near the Plaza Hotel, FAO Schwartz, Bergdorf Goodman and just over from the corner of Central Park. Sales during the day would be high but people are around that area at all hours.

I'm not saying I'd go at 4 in the morning but maybe 2am after a night out or when I get up around 6am (NOT after a night out! ;) ).

I wouldn't be surprised if 2 til 5 is a quiet period but if the rest of the time is so busy it's probably no big loss.

Yeah, true... if they built a coffee store into it that would be great!
 
Comment

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
3,368
1
Boston
Good to hear!..I just hope that the BRA doesn't bust their burgalls as far as design/esthetics go:
''And we know that any changes they propose for the exterior of the building including demolition will go through the proper review channels, including the Back Bay Architectural Commission."


Ahhh,Bahhhston politics at its finest :)
 
Comment

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
1,104
0
NYC
Apple SoHo is far away from me, and midtown is closer. Being able to go to Apple midtown at night will be a good thing for me because no lines. you can try out all the machines and buy them without waiting a half hour in line.
 
Comment

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
1,965
0
New York
Little Endian said:
I can picture walking through that Manhattan store at 2 in the morning along with several dozen customers.

Consider the slogan: Buy at 2 a.m. ... get mugged at 2:15 a.m.
 
Comment

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
3,810
307
Asheville, NC
sorry in advance, but this is the first thing that popped into my head...
DSC_0039.jpg
 
Comment

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
216
0
Sound off Bostonians

Why? Why does Boston need another Apple sotre? I'm glad I guess, but we already have North Shore, Burlington, Chestnut Hill, and Cambridgeside. I know we are very education heavy here, but, I don't know. It just seems like too much.

But who am I kidding. It'll be up the street from my work, so I'll go.

-p-
 
Comment

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
888
1
Red Sox Nation
dah! forget boston, i want one in worcester so i can get a job there!!! yeah, boston has enough stores, send one my way! or i can just go to salem, NH where it's tax free...:p
 
Comment

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
3,068
70
Because that is such a high-profile flagship type location. Very touristy, and a ton of shopping gets done there. Also, thousands of students live in-town without cars. An Apple store right on Boylston would be very useful indeed.
 
Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
1,384
0
Champaign, IL
spine said:
I am still waiting for a store in Providence.
Job listings have appeared - but no announcement yet.

Does anyone have info?

This is according to ifoapplestore.com

Providence Place - Providence, RI - indoor, 3-level downtown mall. At an April 2004 conference, Sr. V-P Retail Ron Johnson said the company had been trying to arrange a space in the mall for over a year, and promised to eventually find a prime space there for a retail store. In Feb. 2005 the Eddie Bauer and Athelete's Foot stores closed, creating potential spaces for Apple. In May, Apple finally signed a lease for space inside the mall, in the ground-floor space formerly Bailey Banks and Biddle. On Jan. 5, 2006 appeared as a job location on Apple's Web site. Grand opening June, 2006. updated
 
Comment

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
297
0
decksnap said:
Because that is such a high-profile flagship type location. Very touristy, and a ton of shopping gets done there. Also, thousands of students live in-town without cars. An Apple store right on Boylston would be very useful indeed.

I saw the news and I thought the same thing. The Boston area will be saturated with Apple stores now. To bad it's so far off from opening because this store sounds cool.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.