Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
It just sitting on the desk, moved it a few times over the desk, and it got scratches. Did someone experienced this?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It just sitting on the desk, moved it a few times over the desk, and it got scratches. Did someone experienced this?

You referring to the plastic plate at the bottom? Then yes, unless you put pads on it immediately, it will scratch if you move the mini really at all.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
You referring to the plastic plate at the bottom? Then yes, unless you put pads on it immediately, it will scratch if you move the mini really at all.

Yes the plastic plate with the logo "Mac mini". So you've scratched yours too? I thought someone just scratched it, lol. It's very gentle plastic then?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, that plastic cover is just soft plastic. I have had three different minis over the years, and it always sits on a cut-to-fit pad of some of that textured shelf paper. I use that kind of pad for a lot of uses. It's one of my fave household hints...

Reactions: russell_314

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
does it really matter how many scrathes are on the bottom cover??

It's not, indeed, just aesthetics. I'll leave it as is, i already was looking for a new bottom cover, lol, that's dumb then, if new will be scratched too.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
Except that a prospective purchaser will see scratches on the bottom of your mini. I wonder what Apple charges for a replacement bottom cover :)
i just saw on ebay, deals arounds ~$40 for 2014 model. 40 bucks for a cheap plastic. Have you scratched your either?

Last edited:
Reactions: F-Train

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There may, or may not be, scratches on the bottom plate of my 2012 Mini.

But... I haven't picked it up to look at the bottom in... years!

CAScading

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Florida
Good time, to check it out

OWC has scratch removers

scatch protector.png

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
I always stick adhesive rubber feet on my computers when brand new. Did the same with my 2018 Mini.

I think it may actually improve airflow a bit as it raised it up about 1/4".

sku_416912_1.jpg

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
My 2018 model has scratches on the bottom as well! Should I get it replaced? Is that normal?
It's plastic so if it's slid across a hard surface it's likely to get scratches. I guess you can set it on a mat or even a washcloth. Should you get it replaced? Well if you knowing that there are scratches that no one can see bothers you then yes. I don't think it's that expensive.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Weird. I had two 2012 models, for years, the bottoms didn't have any scratches when I sold them, but I never slid them around, and heck, I even used one as a "mobile workstation" and it stayed mint.

Maybe the new bottom material is Scratchtoniumor people have desks made out of sandpaper :D

I always stick adhesive rubber feet on my computers when brand new. Did the same with my 2018 Mini.

LRF solve so many problems, one of this centuries great inventions - I scored these like 3 years ago, 144 for ~$7, still haven't used them all (and I've used quite a few), still super sticky:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S1TJLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.