Bought 2 new iPad 16gb for $399 each today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lidomkj, Nov 19, 2010.

1. lidomkj macrumors regular

Saw the Tj Maxx pricing on all the tech forums. Called Apple and asked if they would price match. Walked out with 2 tonight! One is a Christmas gift and the other I kept. I knew about Apple matching prices when Toys R Us had a nice bundle for the touch, but my daughter did not like the cases. Went to Apple and they gave her the same package with a better case.

Very happy! Really was not that interested at first since I have the new iPhone and several laptops/netbooks, but I wish I bought 3 since my wife really likes it. I got the second one thinking I could sell for a little profit, but could not resist opening the Apple package sitting there. Figured I would at least get my money back if I did not care for it. It is not going anywhere now!

For all the "cool story bro" people out there, was sharing my experience. Could care less if you believe it or not. Just sharing in case someone else gets lucky with their local store like I did. My receipt was emailed and you will think I doctored it if I post it anyway.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

TELL ME EXACTLY what you said to them today? thanks

3. lidomkj thread starter macrumors regular

I said, will you price match the TJ Maxx/Marshall's iPad pricing on the 16 gb iPad? They initially said you will just need something in print or the web to show them. I said it is all over the web, but only official item is the Twitter feed they sent with the pricing. I said if you call a store, they will confirm the pricing. They put me on hold. Got back on and said to stop out and they will match them. I don't know what they were checking, but I think they were aware of the news. Did not need to bring anything in. Just showed up and paid. Very easy.

I might go get another one so me and the wife don't have to share, but will probably wait for the next version. Tomorrow I might change my mind!

4. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't price match, especially from NON-AUTHORIZED retailers (Steve Job even replied to an e-mail about those prices).

Didn't happen.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

7. lidomkj, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010

lidomkj thread starter macrumors regular

Pittsburgh.

I got lucky. Maybe they did something they should not have done, but I asked and they did it. I know that my local Apple store matches prices because I did it with an iTouch package, Elgato Eye Tv when it was cheaper to buy direct from Elgato, and recently the iPads. Take it or leave it. I was sharing in case someone else could get the same deal I just got.

8. Mlrollin91, Nov 19, 2010

Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Live in SoCal, so it is going to be a little harder, because my local Apple stores can't call Tj Maxx. I called my Simi Valley store and they didn't budge. Called Thousand Oaks and he said he will get back to me later, took all my information and said he will see what he can do. Both Apple stores know exactly who I am.. I go way too much.. Haha

9. benhollberg, Nov 19, 2010

benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Here's the thing, I saw the email that Jobs replied saying they wouldn't price match. And yes, I do believe you and trust you, but just to prove it you should post an image of the invoice receipt.

10. SteveKnobs, Nov 19, 2010

SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Yea. This just seems too good to be true dude. Why would an apple store price match TJ Maxx when they aren't an authorized seller? I understand Apple is very good with customer service, but this is TJ Maxx with what, 80 iPads for sale. Either you're pulling our leg or you have a good friend at your local :apple:Store.

11. WilliamG macrumors 604

It's easily resolved, no? Just post a scan of the receipt! :D

12. lidomkj thread starter macrumors regular

Receipt was emailed. I will post later with personal and serial numbers blacked out.

I just read the Steve Jobs email referenced about price matching. I was lucky and hope nobody gets in trouble.

13. therealmathers macrumors newbie

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

15. doppelganger macrumors member

doppelganger

Has anyone tried price matching at Best Buy, Target or Walmart?

16. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

For a $100, I'd have waited to get the Ipad 2. I definitely wouldn't have bought two.

There isn't enough mark down to make it worth your time or effort to resell it.

17. iRance macrumors regular

18. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Ding!

Didnt happen

19. Jackintosh, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Sorry to spoil the party, but even at $399 I wouldn't buy now with iPad 2 coming out in a few months. It's clearance of older technology in the guise of a holiday deal.

20. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

To be fair its like 6 months until what we think is the next iPad 2, it came out in may right? or atleast in the UK it did.

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

It is actually a marketing ploy by TJ Maxx....and a pretty damn effective one at that.

22. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

We have been discussing when the next iPad will be and whether it is better to wait on this thread.

Personally I think the next iPad will be in March, about four months away.

23. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you went to the South Hills Village store, I can see them doing that. I love that store; they're known for being easy about giving replacements.

Can you post the receipt?

24. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

That's a black Friday deal and I'd guess they only have a few anyways.. no way Apple price matched that! No one at Apple would do this and anyone who could have made a mistake wouldnt have the authority to change the price.

25. tekchic, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I think someone just came in and told a story to rile everyone up. Especially since the TJ Maxx fine print says Limit ONE Per Person, even if you are lucky enough to find a store that has a single iPad. Even *if* Apple did match it. Since Maxx says one, there's no way they'd match two at that price. They're also being held until Black Friday. I call shenanigans.

http://www.macstories.net/ipad/comb...rized-reseller-and-he-wont-match-their-price/