Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zizo79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
QQ Part
Hey Guys,
I bought my 3GS last year when it was launched and I just found out that I wont be upgrade eligible (@ discounted price) until 11/19/10 which will suck considering the fact that the new iPhone will be out between mid June and July.
Was anyone able to get AT&T to change the date to bbecome upgrade eligible? I pay over $160 on 2 iPhones ?
Thanks guys

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's a whole other thread that purports that AT&T is changing the date, but so far a lot of folks have not had their date changed.

Given that AT&T is now charging an ETF of 325, I'm not about to quickly change my contact. I'll wait and see, perhaps the iPhone will come to verizon in another 6 months. I have a Nexus and that suits my needs anyways.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
There's a whole other thread that purports that AT&T is changing the date, but so far a lot of folks have not had their date changed.

Given that AT&T is now charging an ETF of 325, I'm not about to quickly change my contact. I'll wait and see, perhaps the iPhone will come to verizon in another 6 months. I have a Nexus and that suits my needs anyways.

My date was changed from August to now. Seems like AT&T are trying to rope people into a contract before some sort of other big announcement is made.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Hey Guys,
I bought my 3GS last year when it was launched and I just found out that I wont be upgrade eligible (@ discounted price) until 11/19/10 which will suck considering the fact that the new iPhone will be out between mid June and July.
Was anyone able to get AT&T to change the date to bbecome upgrade eligible? I pay over $160 on 2 iPhones ?
Thanks guys

One of your iPhone's bill has to be over $100 to be eligible for an early discounted update (12 months). Ask AT&T if adding unlimited text messaging to your family plan would do the trick.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
One of my launch day iPhones is eligible on 6/20 and the other became eligible on Friday. Not sure why one is eligible before the other and in less than a year.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
It's likely cheaper to cancel your current contract and buy into a new one rather than pay non eligible contract price. That is, if you fall under the previous 200 ETF contract price.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
"iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 11/19/2010 "

So, what does this mean, really?

I can upgrade for a fee of only $18 plus the 2 year renew?

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
"iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 11/19/2010 "

So, what does this mean, really?

I can upgrade for a fee of only $18 plus the 2 year renew?

Nevermind, It means full price. It's still cheaper to cancel contract :mad:

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008

ETFs do not apply to changes. Only to cancellations. Anyone under a contact can pay the early upgrade price and get the phone.

rml4uk

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
I bought my 3GS about a week after launch last summer. I called customer service a week or two ago to check my upgrade eligibility and the rep said I was eligible for upgrade pricing on June 26th :D

mlukens

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
I got mine 2-3 weeks after launch in July last year, mine had said I wasn't upgrade eligible until December, but it changed all of a sudden. This year it says the same thing, so we will see what happens. I am not in a huge hurry for the new one.

zizo79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
QQ Part
Lucky bastards lol mine still say 11/19...for all the people who have 06/20 upgrade date, do you guys all pay over $100 for the eligible line ? Thanks in advance

zizo79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
QQ Part
I was just told by a CSR at ATT that the iPhone is the only phone that they can't do an overide on the upgrade eligibility but they can do it on other phones. I wa thinking about maybe getting a blackberry and then return it to keep the upgrade date. What do you guys think ?? Or will my upgrade date to back to where it was ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.