Bought a 13" rmbp yesterday, should I return it and wait for broadwell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Calleknug, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Calleknug macrumors member

Two days ago I got tired of waiting for broadwell so I went to a nearby apple store and grabbed a 13" retina macbook pro 2014 edition (my first mac computer ever). I've wanted to buy a macbook since summer, but I've been holding out for a broadwell release. I'm starting medical studies at university in two weeks so my options are to either take this newly bought haswell mbp with me or to take my old sluggish thinkpad (2011 edition with i3/HDD) with me and and then replace it when a 13" broadwell mbp is released. Since I'll be studying for 5 and half year on a tight budget I'm hoping to keep whatever macbook I buy now or soon for that matter during these years. The improved battery life, graphics and usb 3.1 seems pretty nice to me.

Do you guys think the broadwell mbp is worth the wait in my situation? Since this is my first mac I don't know how apple goes about updating their machines. Do they wait to update both 13" and 15" macbooks until the H processors for the 15" is released or do they update the 13" first and then the 15"?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you wait until 2nd (or maybe even 3rd qtr) 2015? That's really the bottom line, if you can hold off buying one until summer, then do so, otherwise enjoy what you have.

Its doubtful that your current computer will last less time, then a broadwell based. The performance of today's computers are well beyond what most consumers need imo.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Not sure what you are using your macbook for, but I suspect a mba might be more suited for your needs.
    I'd get what you need now, since there is always a new release around the corner.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Why not wait...

Intel just released the broadwell chips yesterday so should be in the new macbooks in the next month or two if you can wait...

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since all you're likely to do in your studies is read and write, the computer is already grossly overpowered for your needs. Keep what you have.

6. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Totally agree. At my last company, people were still surviving on 6 year old dell laptops; duo cores with 2 gigs of memory. All we did to bring them up to speed was replace the hd with a ssd. Ran win7 and office just fine.

Current macs are good for 3-5 yrs easy.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

That is a gross understatement. Unless they break they'll work longer.

8. Calleknug thread starter macrumors member

So this means the both macbook models will likely be refreshed at the same time and 15" processors won't be available until summer/early autumn? I feel like I could wait for early late q1 / early q2 if they decided to update the 13" before the 15" but it's probably not worth waiting until summer for me.

Yeah you are probably right about the MBA. I'm just not willing to give up the retina display for it. It also seems like if there will be a retina air this spring it will be a new 12" inch that I think is too small and also it will be using core M does not seem very impressive at all.

Yeah but only broadwell U chips right? If Apple waits for the broadwell H chips for the 15" then the 13" unfortunately will not be update in the next two months even though it could have been.

I'm not entirely sure exactly what it I'm going to need it for regarding my studies but you are very likely right about that. Better battery life would be useful for that but it is already pretty good on the other hand.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

I meant the current mba. It's excellent.

10. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Yeah 3-5 or my need to spend money and buy a new one. Whatever comes first :)

11. Calleknug thread starter macrumors member

Well there is a difference between surviving and happily using it. I could probably be using my old thinkpad for quite a while instead of buying a new macbook but it takes like 8-10 seconds for it to open a web browser while the mac takes 1 second for instance so it's not a very nice experience and and sort of a waste of time when studying. However I don't think this will be the case with this mac regardless.

Sounds great, I hope that will be the case.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Macs don't get slow over time like windows machines do.
    Just be careful upgrading to newer OSs

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No.

15. Calleknug thread starter macrumors member

I mostly agree with that. I love the feeling of holding and moving around the MBA etc. it feels so light and fantastic. I'm just having a hard time giving up the retina display for it. Although I can get more storage and better battery life as well if I go for an air. **** I just realised I'm giving up a lot for the retina display heh.

Hehe, well if you can afford it, it makes a lot of sense to keep it for less than 5 years

16. Calleknug thread starter macrumors member

Well that has been true for cpu generations since sandy bridge. However I find battery life and 4K support valuable for a laptop and for hooking it up to an external 4K monitor when they become the new standard. The current generation doesn't do 4K at 60Hz on OS X if I've understood it right?

I see, just like iPhones then huh ;)

I appreciate your strong opinion but I would be very happy if you could elaborate a bit.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes, but Macs can be downdated to a previous OS.

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

MBPs use Iris CPUs, which are scheduled for end of Q1 - so March/April the earliest for the 13'' rMBP, unless they decide to wait until they can upgrade both the 13'' and the 15'', which would make it summer 2015.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

What are Iris CpUs?

20. Calleknug thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that is quite an important difference, good to know:)

21. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

True

They have been known to update them separately in the past though it took months for the retina 13 to come out after the 15 inch.

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

That was the 13" redesign with retina, to fall in line with the 15" retina.

Subsequent spec bumps have been simultaneous.

23. thundersteele macrumors 68030

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

25. meson macrumors regular

I have a few friends who have finished residency in the past couple of years. Once you are out of the classroom, I think you will find a greater need for an iPhone and/or an iPad. Once you begin your rotations and residency, you will spend little time in front of your personal machine, but you may often want to read/reference an article quickly, and this is where something as portable as a phone will come in handy. You will working all hours and studying anytime/anywhere you can.

Personally, I would stick with the machine you just bought. If you are willing to wait, I would hold out for Intel's Skylake processors. If all of the hype comes to fruition, it will be a major change in the way we use our laptops. Then again, it will take several years for all of the wireless accessories to become mainstream.

Good luck with med school!