Bought a 3gs with 3.1.2OS...whats next??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sallymomo, Oct 10, 2010.

1. sallymomo macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Just bought a 3gs with the 3.1.2(7D11) Version and the Modem Firmware is 05.11.07. Its jailbroken and unlocked for Tmobile.

It also has the following apps: cydia, black rain,winterboard...among others

So now whats the next step to taking it to versin 4.0.1?? I want to make sure I save the old shsh so if I ever mess up and upgrade then I can easily go back..

Can someone please list step by step what needs to be updated first and I can have hubby look at it and upgrade.

Oh and it also has all his old contacts etc on it...how do i get rid of it without doign a factory restore??

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Open up cydia and look at the top of the page to see what SHSH blobs you have saved on cydia.

3. sallymomo thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think he has any saved. I don't see any on the top.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What does it say on the top of the cydia page?
    It doesnt have something like SHSH: 3.1.3, 4.0 etc....

[​IMG]

5. sallymomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope...that part isn't there. It just had that Home-Cydia tab adn then the Welcome to Cydia...nothing in between. He did tell me that the version on it is how he bought the phone...and he hasn't upgraded anything in a year.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will not be able to restore/update to 4.0.1 without those shsh blobs.
    Only thing it will let you update to ios 4.1 and if you do that you will lose your unlock.
    So not much you can do now if you want to stay using tmobile is leave it like that.

7. sallymomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh that sucks!!! So how does this process work?? When the unlock for 4.1 comes, do I update to version 4.1 on Itunes (and lose my current unlock/jb) and then use the hack thats out to unlock and jailbreak the phone?? Is that why I can't go up to 4.0.1...cuz I have to use Itunes to update the OS?? And any idea when the hack for unlocking 4.1 will be out??

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will have to wait for new tools to be released so you can hopefully preserve your baseband and update to jb 4.1
    Not sure if you have the old or new bootrom though.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you buy it new or used?