Bought a Mac Mini with no OS, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by v12atom, Nov 9, 2011.

1. v12atom macrumors newbie

Well I just bought a Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5 off of eBay and it came with no OS. I have an external DVD burner, will it work with the mini and also, how do I install the OS and the drivers for it, and from where(came with no recovery disks either :p), hence the beautiful price. Thanks to whoever can answer this completely. :apple:

2. MJL macrumors 6502a

Is there no recovery partition?
    Is there not some command at bootup (? key + R)
    Have a friend, use his/her time machine backup and then reboot from time machine and use the reinstall? (Should download it from Apple - I believe they tie the machine serial number with entitlement to license?)

3. MTI macrumors 65816

Buy Snow Leopard DVD and then upgrade to Lion.

4. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

when you boot up, hold down command + r and wait for the recovery to kick in.

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

send me a pm I can help. if the recovery command + r fails

6. mdgm macrumors 6502a

New Macs don't come with installation disks any more. If you want more info than what's been mentioned in the thread already start by having a look here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you have an Apple store nearby, they might be willing to reinstall for you.

8. mdgm macrumors 6502a

To start the Internet recovery I believe you'll need to use a wired USB keyboard.

9. mjcharlton71 macrumors member

Works with a wireless keyboard (if previously paired). Just did it with my 2011 2.5GHz to factory restore before selling.... not sure if it'll work if not pre-paired.

10. simsaladimbamba

That will not work with a 2011 Mac mini, as the 2011 Mac mini came with Lion and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard does not have the drivers for that machine, especially since the version on the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD is 10.6.3/4.