Bought a Macbook Pro. Now What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billishoho, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Billishoho macrumors newbie

Hello Guys, 2 Days ago i pulled the Trigger and bought a Macbook Pro
    13" (i5 2.3Ghz)
    I'm a Windows user for like 10 Years and i Find it kinda Difficult to adjust to the New Os.
    So, I Got my mac, what i should do now?
    Which programs i should download?
    I Tried to Find some tutorials but i couldn't.
    Thanks in Advance.

PS: Sorry About my English, it's not my native Language.
    Bill

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

What types of things do you need to be able to do on your computer?

4. Billishoho thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Miles, thanks for your quick response,
    Well the main problem is that i can't adjust to the New os,
    Can you give me any Tip that will help me learn and adjust to OSX?

5. simsaladimbamba

Follow the link miles gave you and also look at the following:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Use it.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

A few "major" things to adjust to.

-The red X only closes the window, not the application, if you want to quit an application, you need to use CMD+Q.

-All your shortcuts for copying, pasting, reloading, will still work, except now you have to use CMD instead of CTRL: cmd+c, cmd+v,cmd+r

-Exposé is awesome for browsing the programs you have open

-Spaces is great if you are much of a multi-tasker

-The multi-touch gestures are awesome, get familiar with them, it makes using the trackpad that much better.

If you have any questions, ask away, we're there to help.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've been using MS since DOS. I bought a MBP July 2010. Took a month or two to get used to OSX but now I'd be hard pressed to want to use Windows.

The only thing I don't like as much as Win7 is Finder, be aware Finder will REPLACE folder contents not MERGE like Windows. Also CUT & PASTE is missing and I never found an easy way to drag and paste a folder in list views (I'm sure I'm doing it wrong).

Else it's a top notch OS and you won't miss the awful registry, frequent crashes, worrying about viruses or constant tweaking just to get it to run right.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You will go through a little trial and error till everything works.
    I would start out with going setting the dock to something you like. I used to put it on the side and later on hide it at the bottom. The default bottom just takes an insane amount of screen space for no good reason. The Dock is quite useless compared to the Windows Taskbar.
    Next you can set in the expose spaces preferences something. I always use the top left corner for app wide exposé.

The best Apps I can recommend are Alfred and BetterTouchTool. (and gfxCardStatus for 15"/17")
    Alfred is so fast for launching apps, locating stuff and even switching apps. BTT gives you a windows snap to screen feature and loads of possibilities to enhance the touchpad over the standard gestures.

Get a decent browser(Opera, Chrome) and remove Safari from the dock.

Then you are all set. Finder is just something you have to get used to as much as possible. If you keep to the usually folder clicking as you did in windows explorer it might drive you nuts (slow). IMO it is no match for the explorer but you don't really need it that often if you stay with Alfred.
    The biggest change from Windows is that doing stuff the simply clicki way is in osx often very slow(I think much slower than doing the same in Windows). Keep to the keyboard and touchpad. Also preferences are often very limited which really sucks at times but getting decent programs that exist for OSX and Windows changes this. Like I couldn't live without VLC.

10. felt. macrumors 6502a

lol

11. Billishoho thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, Thanks for your quick responses, I will try these things you
    told me and i hope I will start learning OSX...

PS: when i told that i couldn't find a Tutorial i was talking about a Decent Tutorial..

12. Billishoho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys for all these Tuts.
    I am going to Read them..
    In case I Have any question i'll post here.
    Thanks a Lot :)

13. simsaladimbamba

You could also use MRoogle to look for answers for your questions, as most have already been answered several dozen hundred times.

14. ramw5p macrumors member

Great replys

I to am a new user, so i read all these threads. IT has been frustrating, but i am sticking with it, and so far love the MBP. One thing i dont get, why is it so hard to make things full screen. Why do i have to resize every freaking thing i want to use, just make it full screen!!!!!! Ok, rant off. So if i just "minimize [-]" the programs instead of closing them are the taking up ram?? Also, if i remove things form the little bar on the bottum, i assume i can get them back later if i want? Thanks.

PS...i have a feeling there are going to be more and more people like me and OP buying new MBP's looking for help with OSX stuff. Let me say that ths site is the best resource, even if i never use search :)

15. simsaladimbamba

In the next iteration of Mac OS X, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, full screen windows will be there.
    For now you need to rely on external solutions like Hyperdock maybe.

If you minimise the application window, the application is still running, as indicated by the Dock icon (what you call "little bar") and the glowing dot under the application's icon.
    It is the same as in Windows, a running application is still running when minimised, but if some process needs more RAM it will free and copy some contents to the HDD, then when you come back to the minimised application, it can copy the content back from the HDD into the RAM.
    And yes, you can add icons back to the Dock by dragging them to the Dock.
    MRoogle will answer most of your questions.
    If not, just post in an already existing thread or create a new thread.
    Be sure to check out Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios.

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Now you use it to browse this site and anticipate the next release.

What else is there?

17. snaky69, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

snaky69 macrumors 603

Because making things full screen like all windows users is both useless and stupid. Very few Apps actually benefit from being ran at full screen. Mac OS X resizes window to display all the information, any bigger is completely pointless. Macs are meant to multi-task, to display all the windows on your screen at once.

If you minimize anything, in any operating systems, yes, the application is still open and still taking up RAM.

If you remove icons from your dock, you can gain them back by simply opening the program and right clicking its icon, and click "Keep in dock".

18. systole macrumors member

systole

Right Click

Go to Finder --> System Prefrences --> Trackpad.

One of the check boxes enables right click with a two-finger tap on the trackpad. I found it to be the most useful setting change when migrating from windows / linux to OSX

19. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

And now you enjoy an awesome machine... congrats & enjoy!

20. seek3r macrumors 6502

Which is, of course, why Apple is adding a full screen mode to Lion, which will more completely full screen than even windows normally does - of course then it'll be awesome, 'cause Apple did it?

::rolls eyes:: I'm a huge fan of Apple's stuff (hell, see my sig, and that's just my modern, personal, Apple gear) but they don't get everything right, and full-screen apps is one of them, and one they're fixing. It's not something I find myself wanting a lot, but when I do want it it's not a bloody option, and that's irritating.

21. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

stare at this photo for 5 hours straight and you will know everything.

[​IMG]

22. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I think I saw someone post to similar question as below:

"go to starbucks and get the best seat you can find and sit there all day and let people see that you have THE macbook"

23. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Thats what I was thinking.

LOGO FACING OUT, people.

Also, put on your most hipster beanie and skinny jeans, with some Converse and Ray-Bans.