Bought a MacBook Pro on eBay, think I got scammed. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leagueplayer119, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Leagueplayer119, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

Leagueplayer119 macrumors newbie

Ebay Purchase link

- 15.4" LED-backlit display
    - OS X Version 10.9.5
    - 4GB ram custom upgraded to 8GB, at the apple store
    - 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 Processor 1600 MHz DDR3
    - 500GB hard drive
    - AppleCare Warranty until August 2015
    - AMD Radeon R9 M370X graphis card, I asked specifically if this was included. She said yes
    - Retina, I asked specifically & messaged her, said yes it is

- Purchase Date : December 23, 2014
    - Costed over $1,950 at the time
    - Original receipt will be included

This is my first apple purchase ever. I won the auction for $1200 USD. I filtered the results on the left hand side of ebay to 2015 listings & macbook pros. Yes, I expect to see 2015 version MBP's. In the "item specifics description" box, it says Release date : 2015. That doesn't make sense, since she purchased it in December 2014.

1. Is this really a mid-late 2014 Macbook pro ? Or what would it be called exactly ? Need help identifying this machine

2. It's listed as "New other", but this was purchased in December 2014, we're in July 2015 now, so that's 7 fricking months ago. Clearly it's USED, then. Another big mistake on the descriptions right ?

3. I sent the payment, paypal + bank account, it went through 100%. I double checked. Now she's saying she didnt receive payment, uh that's clearly a mistake on her part. WTF

What do you guys think ? Am i missing something here ? cause of all these red flags. Hoping for quick answers, I gotta answer the seller back by tomorrow, July 4th. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If the unit is under AppleCare until August 2015 then it was purchased in August 2012. AppleCare covers the machine for three years from date of purchase.

The specs line up for it to be a mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro too:

2.3GHz Intel Core i7
    500GB HDD
    4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

This is NOT a MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

3. ZXMustang macrumors member

4. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Lots of things wrong with that listing.
    the 2.3ghz processor would mean it was a late 2013 model, not a mid 2014. also, all of the 15.4" models came with 8GB of ram (not 4), so that would be stock ram, not upgraded (But the processor would be upgraded for late 2013, as 2.3ghz was not an option for mid 2014), As applecare lasts for 3 years it should be covered until december 2017, not August 2015 if it was purchased December 2014.
    Further, if it cost $2000 new, then it doesn't have the dedicated graphics (it would have a 750m instead of the M370x if it did).
    The other issue is with the 500GB storage. Apple SSD's near that size are 512GB, not 500.

The picture is what gives it away though. This thing has a CD drive and an ethernet port, etc. This is not a retina macbook pro.
    What this product is, is a mid 2012 non-retina macbook pro 15", and an intel HD 4000 integrated GPU and nvidia GT 650m, and a 500GB HDD (not an SSD)

You've been hosed. I'd contact paypal and start trying to get your money back.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yup. SO many red flags. Wrong OS, wrong specs, wrong warranty date, the unit in the picture isn't an RMBP.

6. Leagueplayer119, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

Leagueplayer119 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why does the picture say "1983-2014" = 2014 version people would think. Christarp identified it as a "mid 2012 non-retina macbook pro 15". Is she using a fake picture aswell or what is the case ?

This is NOT a 2015 version even though she wrongfully listed it as "release year 2015" in the Item specifics box.

And she told me this is retina. SO MANY LIES & RED FLAGS, this is old & dated as hell. im getting a refund. Or i'll have a ebay, paypal customer reps take care of the issue. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, something is off about the purchase and warranty dates here. Any Mac purchased new in December of 2014 should have at least a year of warranty assuming NO Applecare. So Applecare that ends in in August is a huge red flag, and would suggest it was either purchased in August of 2014 with no Applecare, or worse, it's a 2012 model with Applecare.

EDIT: Looked at the listing. yeah, that's no retina MacBook Pro. retina models never had an optical drive. That is a 2012 cMBP.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Looking at the screenshot this appears to be the case. It is a mid 2012 non-Retina MBP for sure.

9. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

The picture lines up with it being a Mid 2012 Non retina macbook pro.

10. Leagueplayer119 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The picture says 1983-2014 because it's running Mavericks, an OS released in 2014. If it was running the current version of Yosemite it would say 1983-2015. They are the dates that the trademarks and copyrights have been in effect.

She's not using a fake picture, the picture is of a 2012 MacBook Pro.

She lied about it being retina, lied about the age, lied about the specs.

These are the questions you should be asking BEFORE clicking the buy button, not after.

12. Leagueplayer119, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015

Leagueplayer119 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Chundles. I did asked questions before the auction ended, i shouldve asked more. She has no idea what she is talking about

13. Martin81, Jul 3, 2015

Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

Well on eBay there is no mention of a Retina display or SSD as storage. As far as I see it, "only" the date is wrong. The specs seem correct for a MBP Mid 2012. I got one too and it came with 4GB ram.

The tricky thing is: she was kind of clever never to show the serial number or show the "about this mac" where you can see the model number. In the first picture you can see it (the one with the small MBP on the left side). There you would have seen the manufacturing date.

Save all communication with her and print out that eBay page. Contact her and tell her, that same things in her description are wrong and you want to stepp back from your purchase. If she doesn't respond, tell eBay.
    I'm not sure how it is in your country but here in Germany you can stepp back from a privat purchase, if the provided information are wrong.

14. W123a macrumors newbie

She said 500gb hdd that should have been a red flag.

15. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

looks like the usual ebay thing where it 'autofills' what IT wants to say in the item specifics box. There is nothing in that listing would make me think this laptop was from 2015. A clever listing designed to gain as much money as possible from a person who doesn't do their research first.

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I have learned to always regard the "Item Specifics" with much skepticism as well. However, in this case I would have spotted the pictures are clearly of a cMBP and passed it by right away. Not everyone knows how to spot the difference though.

17. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Exactly, anybody looking to buy a Mac for the first time, would be the kind of person to get caught by this ad. Any regular mac user would have seen the MBP in this ad for what it was, a 2012 non-retina macbook. When buying anything online, the prospective buyer should do their research first. If the answers you get from a buyer don't seem to add up then move on, there are thousands of other sellers out there who are genuine and selling genuine items.

18. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Nobody else mentioned it, the listing says the RAM was custom upgraded in the store. With ANY rMBP this was not possible as the RAM is soldered to the board.

As for it saying "hard drive", many people don't know the difference between an SSD and a HDD, all they know is that it's storage and a HDD has been the storage so they say HDD.

You would have a case with eBay/PayPal as the seller listed the release year as 2015 and this clearly was not a 2015 15" MBP.

19. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Isn't it a 2011 cMBP? I thought the 2012 cMBPs had Nvidia graphics cards

20. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I think the seller didn't know WHAT they had and said anything to get a sale, the R9 M370x is the card in the top-end rMBP from 2015.

21. acastic macrumors regular

Call up EBay and talk to them directly. They have access to see if the item was paid for as well as the communication between both parties.

22. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't think it's any specific model. It looks like parts that have existed in different 15'' models over the years combined into a listing. Sorry this happened to you, but it can be avoided next time by asking first or doing a little research.

Oh, and - not to make fun but - lol. 2.3 GHz 1600 MHz processor. Must be speedy.

23. Mnowell69, Jul 4, 2015

Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Oh, and - not to make fun but - lol. 2.3 GHz 1600 MHz processor. Must be speedy.[/QUOTE]

Read carefully, that's the speed of the memory, 1600 mhz DDR3.
    2.3ghz I7 is the speed and model of the CPU

24. LxHunter, Jul 4, 2015

LxHunter macrumors 6502

Here's what to do:

1. Don't bother wasting time arguing with the seller
    2. If not received file a INR claim with eBay/PayPal - Item Not Received
    3. If received fine a SND claim with eBay - Significantly Not as Described.
    Take a picture of the back with the Model number and a screen shot of the About This Mac
    Return the MacBook to her by registered post with Delivery Confirmation and Signature Required.

If you sent a PayPal eCheck from your bank account she may be telling the truth. A PayPal eCheck payment from your bank account comes out of your account immediately but may take 5+ days to clear to the seller's account. See:
    https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ1082&topicID=&m=ARA

There are many red flags - besides the poor quality pictures and description.
    No recent feedback as a Seller of anything - let alone MacBook - see attached
    Did not list the model number - and you didn't ask
    Most of the the bids are by 0 or low feedback bidders - see attached
    "She purchased it in 2014" - maybe but not from Apple
    "Apple Care to August 2015" - as already said - 3 years so original purchase in 2012

She is may be a scammer - or just naive. There are plenty of eBay sellers who believe that the Cartier gold tank watch their ex-boyfriend gave them is real - "the jeweller in the mall says it's real".

Attached Files:

25. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

probably 'shill' accounts used to up the bids