Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
of course they are, it just needed punctuation.
2.3 ghz I7, 1600 mhz DDR3
Not complicated is it?

The RAM amount is listed on the line before. I don't think you're understanding.

I'm not confused. I understand 1600 MHz DDR3 refers to the RAM. I find nothing complicated. I find it ironic that such an obvious error is present in this complete fallacy of a listing.

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
Oh, and - not to make fun but - lol. 2.3 GHz 1600 MHz processor. Must be speedy.

So you were making fun of the OP because the original listing wasn't listed like that.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Oh, and - not to make fun but - lol. 2.3 GHz 1600 MHz processor. Must be speedy.

So you were making fun of the OP because the original listing wasn't listed like that.

Not sure what you're defending exactly, but sorry for finding something comical.

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
AMD Radeon R9 M370X graphis card, I asked specifically if this was included. She said yes
I've read your first post again and at that point you should have second thoughts. How can the graphics card of a model be in a MBP of Dec 2014 when it was first released in Mar 2015?

I think it's a case of same wrong information but not necessary a scam. It's strange that she wrote about an original invoice. Why would someone do that? With that her "scam" would bust up.

But - and I'm sorry to say - you there a bit blue-eyed. Why would someone sell a MBP after just 7 month with a loss of nearly $800?

Reactions: Mnowell69

Leagueplayer119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for the detailed help, LxHunter. I paid used paypal linked to debit card, should've gone through instantly. She better not be mailing this out, when she is still complaining about not recieving payment (it went through) and when I messaged & requested a refund ASAP.

I will keep this thread updated.

Last edited:

webs1

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
I just read that listing, and based on the listing alone, the only thing that is incorrect is the release date, which can be an honest mistake. Her description seems fairly accurate and the photos match her description. She never says it's a Retina, nor states when she got it. She does put an AppleCare date which leads to an August 12 purchase date and lists the specs and photos for a MacBook Pro appropriate for the time. I think that listing is fairly accurate with the exception of the release date, which again seems like an honest mistake given the preponderance of evidence otherwise. I hope you get a refund because this isn't what you wanted, but I think this is more your fault than hers. Not all your fault, but more your fault.

Reactions: laurihoefs

Leagueplayer119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
^ Your missing the other many red flags & incorrect things :

Condition : It's listed as "New other", but this was purchased in December 2014 supposedly, we're in July 2015 now. Clearly it's USED. Then people on here find out it's actually a fricking old-as-hell 2012. that's 3 years ago ! People call that hella used.

etc

Could be simply a naive girl who doesn't know jack and was given as a gift by an ex boyfriend or it was a old purchase and she doesn't remember the exact details, now just making up gibberish, lies. Who knows.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
^ Your missing the other many red flags & incorrect things :

1. Condition : It's listed as "New other", but this was purchased in December 2014 supposedly, we're in July 2015 now. Clearly it's USED. Then people on here find out it's actually a fricking old-as-hell 2012. that's 3 years ago !

2. Graphics card : In private message she told me it included the AMD Radeon R9 M370X graphis card, but that's only found in the latest 2015 MBP, not in a old 2012

3. Retina : In private message, told me it is retina.

4. Purchase date : December 2014 & Apple care warranty ending in August 2015, don't add up. Stated by others

5. She lied about the age & year model. People here identified it as a frickin dated old 2012 model wrongfully misplaced in the 2015 MBP listings. #1 BIG mistake.

6. etc

Intentional scammer or could be simply a naive girl who doesn't know jack and was given as a gift by an ex boyfriend or it was a old purchase and she doesn't remember the exact details, now just making up gibberish, lies. Who knows.

There are only two problems with the listing, one of which can be easily explained.

She shouldn't have listed it as new. That's a fair complaint and that alone will be enough for eBay to allow you to back out of the transaction.

The release date is an easy mistake to make, anybody that has sold on eBay before will be familiar with this. When you create a listing eBay suggests 'sell one like this', automatically entering the specification details for you. As a seller you should check this because if a previous seller keyed them incorrectly in the first place this data will be transferred to your listing. An innocent mistake to make if you're not observant.

For the rest of the information you have supplied we only have your word for it as these were private messages between you and the seller. As long as this correspondence was made through eBay then there will be a record of it.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
OP, you were probably excited that you were going to buy your first Mac and thought you were getting a recent one for a good deal. You failed to do proper research but that happens with people that buy something new that they are not familiar with.
I don't think the seller wanted to scam anyone though it does look that he/she used a newly created ID for shill bidding.
Like 90% of the listings for Macs, people have no idea what they have. It is very frustrating as a buyer to see so many listing with wrong specs or no info of the model they are looking at.

Anyway, the seller is wrong on this one and should refund you your money. I hope you get your money back (most likely you will) and let this be a lesson for you. Do your research before you buy a used Mac.

Good luck.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
She shouldn't have listed it as new. That's a fair complaint and that alone will be enough for eBay to allow you to back out of the transaction.
You'd be surprised how many people list their 2 or 3 year old Macs as 'New other'. The 'like new' and 'mint' words are thrown around too easy especially from Mac people.

Reactions: Mnowell69

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, I don't think the listing was that bad. The descriptors are generic and should be ignored in your shopping. Go by the pictures and specifically ask for a photograph of the screen with the model number of the machine.

Still, eBay is very protective of buyers, so you are likely covered so long as your private messages reflect what you claim. You'll still be out the money for a bit while the claim processes, though. Lesson learned.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Here's what to do:
3. If received fine a SND claim with eBay - Significantly Not as Described.
Take a picture of the back with the Model number and a screen shot of the About This Mac

Good advice, but the 10.9 "About this Mac". window looks like this.
os-mavericks-usb-01-upgraded-to-10-9-2.jpg

The 10.10 version contains what I'd want to see in an ebay auction.

Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 2.54.00 PM.png

To display the model name in 10.9 and previous versions, click on "More info", which will bring up the system information.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I don't think you we're purposely "scammed". I think the person didn't know what they had and did a bad job at listing it (mainly listed the release year as a 2015) - and you didn't do a good job catching it. Just looking at the pictures and specs she posted - it was pretty obvious this wasn't a rMBP.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
The bad job describing it probably gets the OP off the hook on a SND case.

"Release Year: 2015"
"Condition: New other"
This is SND 100%
Buyer can get full refund.
eBay has tilted the balance of power to buyers.

Last edited:

Leagueplayer119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Some of you guys are being too optimistic & nice to the seller seems to made a honest mistake with the 2 pretty BIG ones being :

1. Wrong year. Listed as 2015, we find out it's a ......... damn old 2012 ! with an optical drive, that's ancient
2. Wrong condition. Listed as New Other, we find out it's 3 years old hella-used !

In private message, find out there's even more big mistakes that don't add up ! bullsh*t & lies, red flags here there everywhere, saying :

3. Wrong Display. Says Yes it's Retina, people here identified it as non-retina 2012
4. Wrong Graphics card - Says yes it's AMD Radeon R9 M370X. Wrong again, May 2015 update included this, came out two months ago honey.
5. Wrong purchase date, Apple care dates don't match up - As stated by others
6. etc

Wrong almost everything, right specs. Well damn, now we know for sure, she definitely doesn't know what the hell she's even talking about, doesn't know jack sh*t, naive, making up random things, lies, or all-of-the-above. A buyer who filtered ebay results on the left side to "2015" listings should get 2015 results, that simple but instead got into a rare mess that has been identified by the wonderful community here, as 2012 non-retina old mbp. Sorry I don't know much about apple, i did do minor research and normally am a Windows guy.

No reply yet, 1 more day, I'll have a ebay customer service rep step in, solve this issue, get my money back.

Last edited:

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
1. Wrong Display. Says Yes it's Retina, people here identified it as non-retina 2012 (Retina mbp came out in 2013 i believe)

Retina arrived in mid-2012

2. Wrong Graphics card - Says yes it's AMD Radeon R9 M370X. Wrong again, May 2015 update included this, came out two months ago honey.

Huge red flag here. The R9 M370X is part of this years model. If that is the case it would be incapable of running 10.9 as it would ship with ≥10.10.3.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Some of you guys are being too optimistic & nice to the seller seems to made a honest mistake with the 2 pretty BIG ones being :

Yes, but again, those of us who have used eBay for a long time are telling you that those first two things could be errors caused by ebay's automated listed system that is kind of clunky to use and very easy to make that kind of mistake. When buying, ignore what is listed in those areas and go ONLY by what the seller says in the description. The private stuff we are going by your word on.

Still, as stated repeatedly, eBay now finds in favor of buyers most of the time, and this shouldn't be too hard a case to resolve. It may take some time, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.