Bought a MBP, they gave me a better one on accident?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doremus256, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Doremus256 macrumors newbie

I purchased, or thought I purchased, a 15 inch unibody MacBook Pro, the new one, about 2 days ago. It was the 2.53 GHz one with the 9400M and NO 9600M GT.

What I was sent home with was an older 2.4 GHz 15 inch unibody MBP with NO SD card slot, but it has the 9400M and 9600M GT with 256 dedicated.

Is the one I got faster than the one I purchased? In other words, is the 2.53 GHz enough to make up for not having the 9600M GT as far as graphical performance?

PS - I bought it for 1600 with the 100 off college discount, and they said I can return it within 30 days to switch it out.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The CPU is slower by 6% and your maximum RAM is 8GB. If you can live with that, then enjoy.

3. Doremus256 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh and the one I received has only 2GB RAM, the one I bought was supposed to have 4GB already.

Should I return and switch? Or did I luck out

4. backmoo pro macrumors newbie

Those 2 GB are quite a difference in value, especially if you take into account Apple's prices :). It may well have an inferior drive as well, allthough it'll run SSD better, as a myriad of posts will tell you elsewhere on this forum.

Regardless, you did not get the computer you ordered.

5. Doremus256 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

He's right. I think you should have gotten what you paid for. After paying that much for a new MBP, you should have one. Not an "older" one. I would consider the graphics card negligible, but then again I don't play video games (WoW for a while), edit many movies (I have made some though), or use graphics intensive programs. I use to get along fine with the nVidia Geforce 8600M GT with 256MB (or 512MB) of GDDR3 SDRAM.

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Maybe i'm confused, but it sounds like you got a slower one than what your ordered. Its the last revision correct? I would take it back and get the one you paid for.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

+1. I'd take it back for what I ordered in a heartbeat.

9. cube macrumors G5

The prev gen are discounted so the low end is quite cheaper than the new ones.

They are better computers, but you should demand that they refund the difference.

It also has ExpressCard. You can put a variety of inexpensive readers in there, besides other things. SD slot is no loss AT ALL.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You received an older model. If you had wanted an older model, you could have bought a refurbished one probably a lot cheaper. Not saying it isn't worth what you paid for it; you expected to get a new MacBook at a "normal" price, you got an older MacBook at a "normal" price, but you could have got an older MacBook at a "special" price if you had shopped around.

The new battery makes a major difference. It lasts 50% longer on a charge, and it won't wear out for years and will probably last as long as the MBP, that's why I would very much prefer the new model.

Now since it is their fault: You can take the computer back; they will have to replace it. On the other hand since they won't want to receive an older computer back that they cannot sell as new anymore, they just might be willing to give you some money to keep the one that you received. Check the refurbished store first to get an idea what the old model is worth. It might even be the case that the computer you received was supposed to be sold for less.

So go back to the store, see what happens, and I think the new model would be a better buy for the same money.

11. hodgeheg macrumors regular

You need to work out what is best for your particular usage patterns.

If you are a heavy gamer, then subject to increasing the RAM, you may find the 2.4GHz plus 9600 better than the 2.53+9400.

If however battery life is a concern then you would want to run the 2.4GHz with its 9400M anyway, in which case you're definitely losing some performance (though not much) and you wouldn't get close to the battery life the newer model would give you. I also don't know off the top of my head whether there's any difference in the CPU cache between the two models.

IF battery life is a concern then again you have a choice to make. Out of the box, the new model with non-removable battery has substantially longer battery life (~7-8 hours instead of ~5, I believe, but I am only going on the posts on here - I've not tried the new models). On the other hand, the older model has shorter battery life but you can carry a spare battery, thus its maximum battery life is limited only by what you want to carry.

If you're not someone who would be likely to want more than 7 hours, and are not someone who would be likely to buy and carry second batteries, then the newer one would likely be the better option.

If you do keep it, I would try to politely insist they at least give you either a 4GB upgrade for free or a decent discount to reflect that. 4GB makes quite a difference to performance with multitasking if you run a lot of applications, or do image-heavy work. If you did decide to keep it and wanted to upgrade the RAM yourself then crucial.com is usually a good place to look (am I allowed to say that here? I'm not affiliated...).

The one you have also has an expresscard slot, whereas the new model doesn't. Again, the value of this depends on you as a user. There's no doubt the expresscard is far more flexible - you can add an SD reader if you want, but it can also add things like e-sata or compact flash readers etc. It may also help its resale value to certain buyers, as currently the only way to get an expresscard is to buy a 17" MBP. However if all you ever wanted was an SD card reader, you may not care about the Expresscard. I don't think Expresscard can be a *disadvantage* but it may not be an advantage *to you*, in which case consider the other features.
    You also have a faster SATA interface. This will make no difference with an ordinary hard drive as far as anyone can work out, if you don't have or plan to buy an SSD drive to replace the internal harddrive, but if you did, then unless Apple fix the furore (see other threads) over the new ones having slower SATA then yours would be quicker (though again, chances are it would still be very quick either way).

Sorry this is all very wordy, but what it all really boils down to is that it depends on what you see yourself wanting out of the machine. If you are someone who buys a machine and uses it as it comes, doesn't tend to upgrade/buy accessories etc and will just buy another machine one day, then the newer model may well be better - there's no doubt its battery life (on the built in battery) would be longer, but if you are after flexibility then the older one that you have offers more.

If you *do* keep it, I'd try and get some further discount (or Applecare or something) though!

I suspect for most 'ordinary' users (whatever that means!) the newer model would be more useful, but only you can work out what kind of user you are. Best of luck. Hope you're happy with whatever you choose.

12. bobsaget611 macrumors member

These people telling you to keep it are idiots. You paid for the new model and they gave you the old one. Even if you would rather have the old one go back and they will give you money back because its less than $1699. I don't understand why you would keep it?

13. hodgeheg macrumors regular

I don't know whether my post makes me one of these "idiots" or not, but people are just trying to help so give them a break. I personally would replace it, but I was trying to not to just assume that my needs are universal.

14. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

It really depends... you got a machine with better graphics, a significantly crappier battery, and pretty much the same everything else.

You've only lucked out if that sounds good to you.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Did they up the specs on the 2.4 uMBP?

Last I heard, the 2.4 offically took 4 gigs ram max, and 6 unoffically. 8 gigs, like the 2.53 caused it to choke and die.

16. cube macrumors G5

Crappy is a non-removable battery.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

opinion as fact does not a fact make.

18. cube macrumors G5

That's why "a significantly crappier battery" for the UMBP G1 is not true.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Crappier isn't the word I'd use, no, but the old batter lasts a significantly less amount of time, thats what the point was.

Removable vs non removable is a different issue.

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Actually, ignoring Apple's recent marketing garbage, your title should be:

Bought a MacBook, they gave me a MacBook Pro on accident?

21. cube macrumors G5

Yes, but you can carry 1 or 2 extra batteries for intercontinental flights, and it will last more than the UMBP G2.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ok?

For the vast majority of users (AKA the people apple care about) a longer lasting battery is a better solution than carrying extra batteries. Not many people (compared to the overall, of course there will be niches were this isn't the story) use more than one battery, from any laptop maker. This is for the majority, not the minority.

23. cube macrumors G5

It has "Pro" in the name. They were never really pro, but if the name is to mean something they should care about the minority.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Am I supposed to cry for you or something? You can enjoy being bitter over a marketing term, ill enjoy my great battery life when I get my MBP.

Deal?

25. cube macrumors G5

And I'll enjoy my clearance UMBP G1 15" with ExpressCard that I got today.