Bought A new 50 inch tonight... Ruined It!!! (UPDATE: END-RESULT Pic)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Nov 5, 2009.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Tonight I bough a new 50 inch TV. My current wall mount screws were not big enough so I drove to walmart after getting home to get some bigger machine screws... go home, still werent big enough. Left again, came back and this time they seemed to be going in but really, really tight. I thought that was just how it was supposed to be but then it got to a point where I figured I needed smaller. (the 1/4 was too small but the 5/16 was too big... Whats in between?!) As I was taking the screw out it broke! I CANNOT get this thing out, as you can tell, I have already scratched the back up.. HOW CAN I GET THIS OUT :(

Attached Files:

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is sad that the metric part never clicked.

Simple rule. If it is a imported item in to the US it will be metric bolts. Hell even many american parts are metric.'

If it is a domestic company then it is hit or miss if it is metric or standard. Hell do not be surprised if you see both on different parts of the same product. Annoying as well when you are working on something.

As for OP. Cances are pretty good that you are screwed. The bolt is more than likely cross threaded and has ruined the treads on the TV. All you can do is get one of those tools that will enlarge and retread the hole assuming you can even get out the old bolt.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

plyers, small pipe wrenches might work too if you have it worn down where theres nothing to grip anymore.

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You might wanna get some metallic touch up paint for the scratches.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Once they have removed the broken screw there's a good chance that running the correct size tap down the hole will at least make the thread usable again with the correct size screw. If it's a little bit loose you can use some threadlock to hold the screw in place.

If you find the thread is too damaged to use, find a local engineering workshop and ask about Helicoil thread repairs.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have no suggestions, but that royally sucks. Sorry to see it :(

Think I'd just about slip in to depression if that happened to a new piece of tech I'd bought!

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Good job its on the back because i'd be dribbling in a corner if i had done that to something and it was visible. :(

You may want to try cooling the bolt (somehow) so it contracts a little and it should make it easier to screw back out with some plyers.

10. iGav macrumors G3

Drill a hole through the screw (preferably from one side to the other, if not as deep as you can go) then slip a hex key (or suitably sized piece of metal rod) though/into the hole and simply unscrew using the hex key as a handle (the Hex key will bend, but the screw will come out).

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It wouldn't work in this case, molegrips and brute force is the answer.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

13. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

By just looking at the back of your tv, I think you may require help from someone with a bit more practical experience. I don't want to sound like I am being ass but man you need help. Do you know anyone with a good tool kit and handheld vice grips because it looks like you are past the frustration point with it. Good luck and hope it work out for you in the end.

14. BraveArts, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013

BraveArts macrumors member

BraveArts

From your photo you seem to have enough of the screw protruding to take a hacksaw and saw a cut through the middle of the screw. This will create a new head to insert a normal minus screw driver and extract the screw (slowly). Good luck.

BTW, in terms of what screws you actually need, I'm sure it'll tell you what size in the instruction booklet that came with the tele :)

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The only problem with that is you would need to drill a ø4mm hole down the middle of the knackered thread to use a No.3 extractor.

We've seen the carnage the OP has caused armed with just a screwdriver. :eek:

16. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

The most frusterating thing up front was that it said use the four m8 screws that are INCLUDED which definitely are not. I don't even know what those are. I don't understand that if a 1/4 was too small and a 5/16 was too big what is in between?

17. robbieduncan, Nov 6, 2009

robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

These are imperial measurements. M8 is metric.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow bummer! I hate it when I make a bone-headed move like that. Sometimes we men get so excited about our new electronic toys or gadgets that we rush into things and botch something.

The suggestions about vice grips or using a hacksaw to cut a flat headed screwdriver notch are probably your easiest home remedies at this point. Might I suggest getting someone to help. Cover the TV with towels or something to help prevent any other damage and have someone hold it securely while the other person works to retrieve the busted screw/bolt.

After you get the bolt out if you find that the mounting socket is now jacked up then take it back to the store and talk honestly with the manager. Don't lie about it and admit that you made the error. You might be surprised at how nice managers can be when you are honest with them. Say something like "I was just wondering if there was anything you could do to help me out?" He may swap it out for you.

If nothing works and the mounting socket is damaged for good then I'm positive the right amount of Gorilla Glue and Duct Tape will get that set on the wall for you. :D

Edit: Just saw your post above about the missing included screws, this will help you in talking to the manager if you take it back. Good luck.

19. iBlue, Nov 6, 2009

iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that's a good idea.

iMJustAGuy, do you have a can of compressed air? Blast it at that thing [closely, but mind your fingers] and get it good and cold before you try getting it out, however you decide to try to get it out.

20. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

If I lived In Cali I would come kiss you right now... on the lips! :eek:
    WOOHOO!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(FOR THE RECORD: The guy at home depot told me that this would not work [I showed him a pic] and that it would probably only break it off more)

Attached Files:

21. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

My baby took a beating but it worked. THANK EVERYBODY! You guys are the best. If I ever get on who wants to be a millionaire MacRumors will be my phone a friend!

Its funny because the outside is so jacked up and then when you take it out it looks as if nothing has happened from the inside... So one more thing... (hehe)

If a 1/4 was too small and a 5/16 was too big... What do I use?

22. OllyW, Nov 6, 2009

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If it says M8 then that is what you need. M8 is more or less the same diameter as 5/16 but the thread has a different pitch. This is why the 5/16 screw snapped when you tried to tighten it up.

23. arkitect, Nov 6, 2009

arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Congratulations. :) I bet you sweated bullets… I'd have hated to have that happend to me. :eek:

24. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Nice knowledge base! I guess walmart isnt the place to go... I didnt see anything that said M8 (and to be honest I don't know much about tools, obviously). I live in the middle of EVERYTHING and anything you could imagine... 2 malls, best buy, target, walmart, restaraunts, etc, etc. But the one thing that is not within 3 miles are home depots and lowes'. damn. Oh well.

25. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

You have no idea... words cannot describe. I was to the point where I was honestly like, if I can't mount it then I don't even want it.