Bought a new iMac broke camera. Apple Customer Service Experience

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hublar, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Hublar, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Hublar macrumors newbie

I had a bad experience Saturday. I wrote some e-mails to Apple and they contacted me today. They have more than made up for my experience on Saturday. I'm a new iMac user and a happy one now.

Hub

2. simsaladimbamba

Then return it. And please use breaks and paragraphs, that wall of text is just hard to read.

3. Hublar thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad

I shouldn't type angry.

Gonna be stuck without a computer for a while then.

Hub

4. simsaladimbamba

Just so you know, Apple computers are mass produced like any other computers out there, probably even more, as Apple has less models to differentiate than Dell or Asus or Acer or HP with all their ZR-HD-98271-Flesh models and such.

Sometimes consumers of mass produced technology products get unlucky, often they do not. Do not let that experience tarnish your view, unless you get it repaired and it has another issue. I have had five Macs, and only my first Mac developed a fault after 18 months, but it was repaired under warranty.
    I also have had four iPods and one iPad and they were all functioning perfectly (besides the OS fracking up from time to time).

5. Hublar thread starter macrumors newbie

Loving my iMac

I'm really loving my iMac and the camera really isn't that big of a deal. I just want it to be right. It was a hefty investment and I had to talk my wife into it. I'm just angry that I was told come on up and we'll replace it. I get there and it's a different story.

Today is also one of the last days I'm going to have off for a while. About to start working 6 12 hour night shifts a week for a month. That one night off isn't much. So I also lost my valuable time at least to me.

Hub

PS the worst part is having to listen to my wife tell me hey you're the one that wanted it.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sorry to hear you got this bad experience on your first Mac purchase, they do happen, sad thing was you had to drive 200 miles.
    If I were you I would have excepted it for a couple of weeks and send it in when you have more time, it's just the way things work, or don't work in this case.
    It will get resolved and later you will have a great experience for years to come.
    Hope it will be resolved soon.

7. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

The horror ! :eek: you bought something and was defective.....

8. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

did you drive 200 miles or 400 miles ? that makes a big difference .

9. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

I don't think he was crying because it was defective, he was pissed because he called apple's support and they told him it would be replaced in his specific situation, and it was not. That was their mistake, and with a 200 mile drive I'd say a pretty damned big one.

10. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Either way thats a nasty trip for the answear he got.

11. Hublar thread starter macrumors newbie

12. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Indeed, just posted that as a joke because he probably must have been pissed when he made the thread.

13. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Hublar, go get a backup drive and using Time Machine, back up your new Mac. Then turn around and ship it back to the non-Apple company you bought it from. Get them to ship you a new one where all the components work and restore your Time Machine saved info.

If you don't, you will forever blame Apple for sending you a defective computer, instead of realizing that a 3rd party sold you a computer with a manufacturing defect.

14. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

400 miles is way nastier than 200 miles !

if there is ever a next time ,make sure to take names and their extension numbers . that should be plenty of ammo to sit there and make a Fuss .

15. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Dear, op please write a few emails to apple tell them what happened attach this thread to it. A 400 mile round trip drive due to Apples customer error should be fixed by Apple at the price of a gift card. At 20 miles per Gallon you spent 20 Gallons of Gas. That is close to 80 dollars. You spent 12 Hours even at 8 dollars a hour that is 96 dollars.

So the mistake is apple's not yours They should give you a 200 dollar gift card. More like 250 or 300 but at least 200.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imac.html

Please send them a long feed back polite and to the point. Please get back to us about how they answer. To every naysayer on this thread I am sorry you feel that way and bother to post negatively. The op was sent on a 400 mile wild goose chase for what.

BTW I write this because I returned a refurbished mac mini to my local store 25 mile round trip. The mini was purchased from Apple online and I have returned refurbs to this store 3 times in the last year. The first clerk told me I was not allowed to return it. I told her I have made the same return more then once. She referred me to a higher up and they did the return.

So I am in NJ you are in AL it seems that there is a pattern of making mistakes about the return policy. I was lucky but maybe apple will fix it for your. Good luck with this. Phil

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Great answer. He's be wise to follow this course. But at some point one crosses the line between progress and futility.

17. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Send an email to Tim Cook.

He may not read it but an assistant will (I myself had his personal assistant contact me, or so she said).

I did so when I had multiple issues with a new iMac, and executive relations got ahold of me. They were concerned, and adamant that they would do whatever they could to make me happy.

Too bad my iPad 3 fiasco didn't quite go the same way.

tcook@apple.com

18. Hublar thread starter macrumors newbie

Advice taken

I followed the advice and submitted the feed back. Not quite as angry as I was yesterday. Like I said I love the iMac. I'm using it right now. Yes my main problem was I felt like I was lied to by customer service. I wasn't kidding about the traffic yesterday either. That really got my nerves going since one second I was doing close to 80 on the interstate and the next I had to slam on brakes. Then proceeded for probably 40 miles at 30 mph or below.

Hub

Don't travel on Easter Weekend if you can avoid it.

19. chiliconcoli macrumors newbie

I empathize with you. I went to my cardiologist who was part of a first rate group practice in a certain city. He and his staff were very professional and got the job done. When I asked approached a clerk and asked that she send a copy of my test results to my PCP, she mistakenly told me that HIPPA (federal legislation about medical privacy) prevented her from doing that.

If I interpret and follow your line of thinking, perhaps I should tell my peers that my cardiologist provides no customer support. What think you??

He is part of a group that has over 120 employees. Actually, his group is part of a national chain of medical providers with many thousand employees--HCA. Should I badmouth HCA too?

20. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

the customer service rep whether it be Apple or HCA represents the company hence the term customer service REP. so yeah it holds water to hold the company responsible for its REPS incompetence .

21. Hublar thread starter macrumors newbie

Update Apple Customer Service came through for me!

Apple contacted me today and they are more than making up for my experience Saturday. Color me a happy Apple customer now.

Hub

22. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

just curious , what was the end resolution ?

23. macalec macrumors 6502

Many times issues can be resolved by calling the apple customer relations department.

:apple::apple:

24. wwwbest macrumors newbie

Hi

Did you buy it from apple? becuase they offer 14 day return or your money back i would be upset

25. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I'll bet if you'd called them you would've been happier even sooner :) Seriously though, I hope you enjoy the iMac, it's a great system, but there's bound to be a few issues with one now and then.