Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with it and I’m due to upgrade now too and plan to get the iPhone 8.

I’m not comfortable paying full current retail price for a phone that will be discounted in about 3 weeks though. You could have saved a couple of hundred quid.

Perhaps, although a couple of hundred might be pushing it a bit - I assume the 8 will come down to the current price of the 7. But I placed a combined order of a new 27 inch iMac, iPad Pro and iPhone. Didn't want to wait, so. And I got a good deal on the iMac which sort of counters paying full price for the iPhone...

Reactions: tagumcity

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Coming from a 6s Plus. Didn't want to wait for the new ones, which will all be 'home button less', which I don't care for. Loved the form factor of my 6s Plus, not going to be disappointed with the 8 Plus, I imagine...

In the sense of what the iPhone 8 is, it’s still very much relevant in terms of the technology and you will still receive at least four years of iOS updates, the only sacrifices that you don’t have is specific features of the iPhone X, but not everybody needs that either. All that matters is that you find what’s relevant to your situation.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Coming from a 6s Plus. Didn't want to wait for the new ones, which will all be 'home button less', which I don't care for. Loved the form factor of my 6s Plus, not going to be disappointed with the 8 Plus, I imagine...

Congrats, what color did you get?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
In the sense of what the iPhone 8 is, it’s still very much relevant in terms of the technology and you will still receive at least four years of iOS updates, the only sacrifices that you don’t have is specific features of the iPhone X, but not everybody needs that either. All that matters is that you find what’s relevant to your situation.

It's basically an iPhone X without the new gizmos, same processor, same memory...
[doublepost=1534504013][/doublepost]
Congrats, what color did you get?
Space Grey, always go for that (my 6S was the same). Picked Space Grey for my iPad Pro as well. 64gb for the iPhone, 256Gb for the iPad Pro...

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
It's basically an iPhone X without the new gizmos, same processor, same memory...
[doublepost=1534504013][/doublepost]
Space Grey, always go for that (my 6S was the same). Picked Space Grey for my iPad Pro as well. 64gb for the iPhone, 256Gb for the iPad Pro...

Christmas came came early, enjoy in good health.

Now all that’s missing is a space grey Apple Watch

Last edited:

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
U did fine. I bought the X on launch day... Used it for one day and didn't like the Home Less Button and I didnt like the screen size or the colors coming out of the OLED... Returned it and went back to my Jet Black 7 + and still loving that Jet Black 256 7 + .... Went to France and Paris and used the 7+ most of the time as my main camera and it didnt disappoint. Good Choice.. ! JMO

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Christmas came came early this, enjoy in good health.

Now all that’s missing is a space grey Apple Watch ;)

Bought a series one earlier this year, sold it after 6 weeks, not really my thing. Nice piece of hardware, but of no use to me. Still too gimmicky, too limited in its current state. Maybe later on, but until then, my trusty Casio G-Shock will serve me just fine ;)

you probably could have waited a few weeks and bought an essentially brand new 8+ for half price from the hoards of desperate people trying to sell their 8+ to buy an X or X+

I prefer not to buy used, especially mobile stuff. Mac desktops, maybe...
[doublepost=1534508861][/doublepost]
I just did that upgrade. Pleased with mine. Still getting used to the headphone dongle though...
I agree that that may take a little getting used to, but I didn't really use the headphone jack on my 6s that much, actually. So not a great loss there... Still have an 5G 30gb iPod classic (still going strong after 12 years !!) and mostly use that for my music listening on the go (not really into streaming music...). Only use the iPhone for music in the car with Carplay...

Last edited:
Reactions: timh and tagumcity

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with it and I’m due to upgrade now too and plan to get the iPhone 8.

I’m not comfortable paying full current retail price for a phone that will be discounted in about 3 weeks though. You could have saved a couple of hundred quid.

Yeap come next month, I’ll decide between the X or 8 Plus, both will be discounted.

retiredatty

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2018
north carolina
I did a lot of research before buying my 8plus and love it. Best iphone i have ever owned

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I have a feeling I’ll be doing the same thing once the new phones come out. I’m going to wait until the price drops and more 8 pluses hit the Apple refurb store.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I can easily say my 8+ is my favorite iPhone yet. While there are times I wish I had a smaller overall phone, the battery life and the screen are definitely worth it. Not to mention I never thought I'd appreciate wireless charging as much as I do. Congrats on your new phone!

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
I prefer not to buy used, especially mobile stuff. Mac desktops, maybe...

You'd be surprised what's available on the secondary market. You would have been able to get brand new for several hundred dollars cheaper than retail. There will be 3rd party private retailers who are attempting to sell off the last of their stock, as they know that when the new phones come out the market for those drops significantly.

In any event, since you don't really care about saving a few hundred bucks it's really a moot point.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Perhaps, although a couple of hundred might be pushing it a bit - I assume the 8 will come down to the current price of the 7. But I placed a combined order of a new 27 inch iMac, iPad Pro and iPhone. Didn't want to wait, so. And I got a good deal on the iMac which sort of counters paying full price for the iPhone...
Feels like Christmas to be getting all that in the mail at once lol!

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

Just got a iPhone 8 Plus my self

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I can easily say my 8+ is my favorite iPhone yet. While there are times I wish I had a smaller overall phone, the battery life and the screen are definitely worth it. Not to mention I never thought I'd appreciate wireless charging as much as I do. Congrats on your new phone!

If and when the Airpower launches, Thats something I want to add to the experience. Assuming the price is not ridiculous, then it something I will add to the X this Fall. I suspect it launch during the September Keynote.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
If and when the Airpower launches, Thats something I want to add to the experience. Assuming the price is not ridiculous, then it something I will add to the X this Fall. I suspect it launch during the September Keynote.

Agreed! I would hope that with all of the other options out there, Apple doesn't price themselves out of the ballpark.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Absolutely fine for me.

I guess my experience is different from yours. I think even at full brightness in direct sunlight with Apples LCD panel, I find it difficult to read. But again, just to reiterate, that’s in full sunlight, outside with the brightness maxed and I think OLED benefits here somewhat better.

Reactions: akash.nu

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I guess my experience is different from yours. I think even at full brightness in direct sunlight with Apples LCD panel, I find it difficult to read. But again, just to reiterate, that’s in full sunlight, outside with the brightness maxed and I think OLED benefits here somewhat better.

I live in Britain so sunlight is never an issue....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.