Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Bought an iPhone After May 27th? Get a Free iPhone 3G.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

We keep receiving submissions that individuals who bought an iPhone after May 27th will be able to upgrade for free to the iPhone 3G (and get a refund for the price difference). While this news is welcome, I've previously neglected posting this as I wasn't sure if this news will actually help anyone.

This means someone had to have bought a 1st generation iPhone about 3 weeks after it had sold out at Apple's online store, amidst all the news that the iPhone 3G was coming within weeks. We presume those people who could even find an iPhone, bought the 1st generation iPhone very intentionally. Meanwhile, those individuals who were so out-of-touch to not know the iPhone 3G was coming have little hope of seeing this news item.

Article Link

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

We keep receiving submissions that individuals who bought an iPhone after May 27th will be able to upgrade for free to the iPhone 3G. While this news is welcome, I've previously neglected posting this as I wasn't sure if this news actually will help anyone.

This means someone had to have bought a 1st generation iPhone about 3 weeks after it had sold out at Apple's online store, amidst all the news that the iPhone 3G was coming within weeks. We presume those people who could even find an iPhone, bought the 1st generation iPhone very intentionally. Meanwhile, those individuals who were so out-of-touch to not know the iPhone 3G was coming have little hope of seeing this news item.

Article Link

I can see your point.

Although you never know. Someone might be out-of-touch and bought an iPhone, but then hears about the new version on the news, then tries to look up more info about it, then somehow winds up here on this site, and then discovers they can switch to get the new phone.

Ok...probably unlikely -- but even if it helps ONE person, that means it was helpful to have this news item! :D

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
Ha, loved the post.

I had a problem however, which has yet to be resolved by Apple.

My phone broke on the 27th, accidental damage and the screen shattered. I considered waiting for the new phone, and seeing if I could just buy a new one I needed a phone and assumed there would be some sort of cheap upgrade policy- both bad assumptions. When the new phone was announced and I read that phones purchased after the 27th were liable for upgrade I called Apple, As, I had on the 27th payed $250 for a new phone- the price under warranty. The sales person was rather unhelpful and told me to go talk to a local AT&T store once the phone has been officially released.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
In the UK all 1st gen iPhone users are entitled to a free upgrade if they are on one of the higher tariffs! :D

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
It seems the UK has quite a good deal on this one. Any iPhone owner (including myself, who bought an iPhone on its third day of release in this country) can switch to a new contract and get the subsidised iPhone 3G. Hell, many will even get the phone for free if they're on the right tariff.

With that, then, I intend to jump to the next contract up from my current one (and extra £10 a month) and get a 16GB iPhone 3G for £59, and give my girlfriend my old iPhone and have her get a Pay as you Go iPhone SIM.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
My Mom's husband recently bought an old version iPhone, and when I heard I said "NO!! I TOLD YOU TO WAIT!". Not sure exactly when he bought it, but I just emailed him to let him know this free upgrade is out there.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
So, when I get my free "upgrade", do I also get a partial refund?

After-all, they are now giving me a much cheaper phone in exchange for the one I just purchased. So, hey, where's my money???

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So, when I get my free "upgrade", do I also get a partial refund?

After-all, they are now giving me a much cheaper phone in exchange for the one I just purchased. So, hey, where's my money???

Ya, you get a refund for the price difference.

arn

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
what is the tax on a $70 or $75 phone plan :confused:

$80

Haven't you figured out yet that tax is always more than the purchase?

That's why when I pay $5 for tags on my car, I spend $235 in taxes on said tags. Even when the car is only worth $100.

Tags are due, time to throw the car away and get another one with current tags.

soloduo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
$80

Haven't you figured out yet that tax is always more than the purchase?

That's why when I pay $5 for tags on my car, I spend $235 in taxes on said tags. Even when the car is only worth $100.

Tags are due, time to throw the car away and get another one with current tags.

are you saying there's a $80 tax on top of the $70 a month plan so its $150 a month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.