Bought Applecare on ebay... woops!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skoolboimatt, Jan 1, 2010.

1. skoolboimatt macrumors newbie

2. hazonmeister macrumors newbie

They seem to have a lot of good feedback. I bought mine on eBay and have used it 3 times now! It's the holidays remember! You may not have an email for that reason. Give it another few days before thinking about contacting PayPal. You should get your money back if PayPal can't contact the seller either. At least that's my experience.

3. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

4. akeemD macrumors newbie

It's the holiday season so things generally go slower than usual. Email him in a few days if he doesn't contact you and then take further action if nothing happens once again after a day or two.

Checking back, I actually bought Applecare from him 2 months ago :p. Received an email the day after from the seller and registered it straight away with no problems so hopefully he'll contact you soon enough.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have bought Apple care for all my machines off ebay. I do pay attention more so then with other things. I guess I treat it like software. It has to be new, in the retail box. I'm not down for the ones that just email you the registration number. That's a little sketchy.

I have not had any problems with my Apple care as far as the purchase was concerned.

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

It is the holidays in Japan as well. The guy has 1000+ positive feedback so give him the benefit of the doubt and a few more days. I think I bought my Applecare off of him as well. Received it promptly via email.

7. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've bought Applecare off him twice in the past. Really helpful guy and definitely legit. He's probably just away for a few days. Nothing to worry about. :)

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Check you spam box? It might have gone there.

9. skoolboimatt thread starter macrumors newbie

fair play. i'll give him a few days. thought it looked a fairly safe bet with all his feedback. comforting to know some of you have had applecare from him before though. cheers

10. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I'm nervous, how does anyone get so many of these to sell, and are they legit? Will they be honored by Apple? How can it be that these can be bought anywhere but the Apple store? Do they send you the whole sealed box, or just email you the registration code? Once accepted, can the code be revoked/cancelled by someone else (like the seller or like Apple if determined to be fraudulent or unauthentic?)

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's definitely a good question.

My guesses:

- They purchase in volume from Apple.

- They are liquidators.

Of course some who sell on eBay appear to be scam artists.

So it is prudent to be careful when purchasing off eBay.

12. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

+1. I bought my iWork off ebay and asked the seller how they could price them lower than Apple. She said it was a liquidation from a company that went out of business. I bought it and have had no problems/troubles at all.
    Best of luck with yours. If the seller has lots of positive feedback, you are probably okay.
    I'd hold off till the holidays are well over before filing a grievance.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's good to know. :)

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

15. saturnino3 macrumors member

I bought Applecare from this guy a couple of days ago (I'm buyer macmacc on eBay).

The guy is a grad student in Japan so he could be on vacation or something -- He is pretty quick to reply -- the AppleCare registration went through without a glitch.

Good luck

16. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I highly reccomend MacMan812. Or 182, or 218. I don't remember. But he's a cool, trustworthy guy who says he gets his codes from a friend. Seriously, he has an account here. (The thread's locked though. :()

17. skoolboimatt thread starter macrumors newbie

18. bushbeat macrumors member

Your seller seems ok...

I bought applecare for mbp on ebay about a year ago. Used it once with no issues.

But honestly, if I had to buy today, I would make sure to buy/get a boxed version with serialnumber inside - partly because of the following statement from apple:

"When seeking service, Apple may request that you submit proof of purchase information to verify eligibility for warranty service, even if you have already registered your product."

and also because of the scam options, when only getting the code via mail.

Good luck

19. jon87 macrumors newbie

I bought AppleCare for my Macbook on ebay. Bought from a seller called ToshComputers, highly recommend them. They had 100% positive feedback so i thought why not!

Got my code within an hour and at a really good price. Registered fine and i've used it to replace my keyboard.

20. skoolboimatt thread starter macrumors newbie

still not received applecare. filed dispute with paypal. grumpy

21. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The holidays aren't an excuse for not sending an email confirmation because those are usually sent out automatically. If a seller is not going to be available over the holiday season then they should pull their ads or at least mention the slower turn-around time in the auction. The stupid thing about this particular transaction is that the seller only needed to email the code to the buyer. It's not like he had to package something up and wait in line for it to be mailed.

On the other side of the coin, maybe there was a family emergency, or he just decided to blow off his ebay customers over the holidays?

A few years ago, I bought a keyboard off ebay. I did the transaction but never heard from the guy. I finally filed a complaint. About a month later I got the keyboard in the mail. The guy emailed me to say he was sorry and that he got busy with school and forgot to send it.

22. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

paypal will take care of you, but i do think that once the week gets rolling you will get your code. you never know what extenuating circumstances they have befallen, it's not like they have a team working day and night. it'd just be one guy.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

PayPal won't take care of you for intangible goods.

24. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

applecare is a tangible product, it comes in a fancy box with crap you don't need. never mind that the important part can be emailed ahead. it's still a tangible purchase.

25. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Sure it's not in your spam mail? Mine from a different seller was. She actually emailed it an hour after the auction but I didn't find it until the day after. Did you even contact the buyer first before filing a grievance? They're gonna tell you that you should contact the buyer first.

According to others he seems to have a good rep.