Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I just bought 13 256 rMBP from Best Buy Open Box. Coconut battery says 24 weeks old and 3 battery cycles. The warranty has never been registered. Where do you think this one has been?

Hidden by an employee waiting for an employee sale event :eek: ?? lol

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I'm sure there is some final QC tests before final boxing, no? I wouldn't expect to have 0 cycles if it was tested/burned in.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Sounds like they put your computer into a box and had you open it in front of them. Did it have the plastic and everything on it when you opened it? ;)

Could be a bug too.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I just bought 13 256 rMBP from Best Buy Open Box. Coconut battery says 24 weeks old and 3 battery cycles. The warranty has never been registered. Where do you think this one has been?

sitting in a warehouse or best buy shelves

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Sounds like they put your computer into a box and had you open it in front of them. Did it have the plastic and everything on it when you opened it? ;)

Could be a bug too.

Lmao ur a riot !!!! It was new wrapped in the box and has a totally diff serial number lol !!!!

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
I just don't wanna b a douche and keep exchanging it over again n find out its normal ! But damn , everywhere I post n ask ppl say the same thing , that its nit right to have 30 cycles out the box . Ugh so frustrating cus this is my first Mac , feel like jus getting refund n say screw it .

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I have the retina macbook pro 13. Coconut battery reports 30 cycles for me too. I'm thinking maybe the app isn't reading the battery properly. I've had mine for about a month and unless its just crazy coincidence that mine shows exactly 30, i'm thinking the app isn't working right. I only ran the app for the first time today though and there's about 30 days in a month... :)

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I just don't wanna b a douche and keep exchanging it over again n find out its normal ! But damn , everywhere I post n ask ppl say the same thing , that its nit right to have 30 cycles out the box . Ugh so frustrating cus this is my first Mac , feel like jus getting refund n say screw it .

Can you spend ~$200 more for the 2.6 / 256gb 13"??? That would definitely be a 2013...

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
I have the retina macbook pro 13. Coconut battery reports 30 cycles for me too. I'm thinking maybe the app isn't reading the battery properly. I've had mine for about a month and unless its just crazy coincidence that mine shows exactly 30, i'm thinking the app isn't working right. I only ran the app for the first time today though and there's about 30 days in a month... :)

Could you check in ur about Mac section ? It says there under power what cycles you have already . Mines says 30 under about Mac and 30 in Coconut so it should be correct .

----------

Can you spend ~$200 more for the 2.6 / 256gb 13"??? That would definitely be a 2013...

I could but I feel it's wasted money for just .1 of an extra gig .

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013

It's bothersome. Your coconut battery stats do look fine though in terms of capacity, i.e. it doesn't look worn down. Provided there were no other issues I'd keep it if I were in you.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
It says 30 cycles there too.

Could you check in ur about Mac section ? It says there under power what cycles you have already . Mines says 30 under about Mac and 30 in Coconut so it should be correct .

----------

I could but I feel it's wasted money for just .1 of an extra gig .

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
It's bothersome. Your coconut battery stats do look fine though in terms of capacity, i.e. it doesn't look worn down. Provided there were no other issues I'd keep it if I were in you.

Ill just keep it I have a 1yr warranty n next month ill get apple care so I should n fine ! Thanks again guys for all the insight

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
You should be happy with your purchase. This will bother you the whole time unless you get it resolved.

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
You should be happy with your purchase. This will bother you the whole time unless you get it resolved.

Lol I know it will but I don't wanna keep wasting time and gas returning n re-returning MacBooks .

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Looks like the 13s have some sort of weird thing where they're reporting 30. You're probably in good shape.

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Looks like the 13s have some sort of weird thing where they're reporting 30. You're probably in good shape.

You experience the same thing ? Or did you see or hear of somebody ? I searched the Internet and found nothing !!!!! I just think its how they come .

Redwyvern

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Yonkers, NY
Now I'm thinking...

I have a macbook pro retina 15 inch, and it's 20 weeks old, with 100 charges on it. System, and Coconut battery report the same amount of charges. That's averaging 5 charges a week, I don't think that's possible, unless partial charges are also counted, because I will put it on the charger sometimes when it's only at 70%, just to keep a full charge on it. If that's the case, I'm going to stop doing that, and just let it fully discharge before charging it. No more "topping off".

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Almost 4 year old MBP. Battery isn't doing great.

Cycle Count: 863
Condition: Service Battery

Warranty ended a week before the Service Battery started showing up. Oh well, looking forward to my rMBP next refresh in June with Haswell!

Also whats the difference if you have 60 or 100 charge cycles in the system information? Its just a number.

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
Am I the only one who smells a troll? Just joined this site and has the same issue on 2 Mac's? Has yet to screen shot the part showing 30 cycles?

Did you not read the entire thread then? He posted a screenshot on page 2, don't know why everyone is quick to think people are trolling.

I do agree it is weird, and I personally wouldn't keep it. I wouldn't want my rMBP to have 30 cycles already. I just purchased my second 13" rMBP(returned first one to Amazon because price drop allowed me to get bigger SSD for same price), neither of my rMBP had anywhere close to 30 cycles.

My first one had 4 cycles to start out, new one I got today has only 1. :D

screenshot20130221at747.png

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK
Am I the only one who smells a troll? Just joined this site and has the same issue on 2 Mac's? Has yet to screen shot the part showing 30 cycles?

Guess you couldn't be bothered to read this kycophpd - just in case you missed it...

heres a screen shot of my Mac from the Coconut utility , seems my Mac is weeks old now but still says 30 cycles

This the OP's first Mac, reaches out to the forum for advice, has been polite about it, has been given advice, taken the 30 cycles 'on the chin' and happy to use the warranty, fair play to the guy...

Me personally? I wouldn't accept it, but that is just me when I spend £2,800+ on a laptop. However, it could be a bug in the software that Apple may release an update for, for it to register properly. It is odd someone else has had the same problem too, there may be many more out there who just do not know about battery cycles...

I have bought a brand new 2.8/16GB/768GB 15" rMBP 2013 but only after they originally sold me a 2.7/16GB/768GB 15" rMBP 2012 model! However both had 0 battery counts. (built 4 weeks ago).

My mother had a 15" 2.4/8GB/256GB refurb rMBP which had 4 battery counts on it, built start of December.

OP, like you say, you have a 1 year warranty on it, if you are happy with that and there are no other defects and believe it is new, enjoy your MBP, if you get Apple Care, you are further protected for the 3 years. Some people charge their laptops after a daily drain, if they do that daily for a month, compared to someone who has occasional use, then I am sure it will marry up in due course... :)

spree254

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Did you not read the entire thread then? He posted a screenshot on page 2, don't know why everyone is quick to think people are trolling.

I do agree it is weird, and I personally wouldn't keep it. I wouldn't want my rMBP to have 30 cycles already. I just purchased my second 13" rMBP(returned first one to Amazon because price drop allowed me to get bigger SSD for same price), neither of my rMBP had anywhere close to 30 cycles.

My first one had 4 cycles to start out, new one I got today has only 1. :D

Damn ! That's crazy that 2 new macs from same store factory sealed have 30 cycles out the box . I called tech and they said its strange , store said strange but after seeing it on the second new one said maybe that's how they test them before shipping ? I'm just worried i go back and get a third one with the same 30 cycle , then it can't be a coincidence lol

steve77uk

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
UK
Damn ! That's crazy that 2 new macs from same store factory sealed have 30 cycles out the box . I called tech and they said its strange , store said strange but after seeing it on the second new one said maybe that's how they test them before shipping ? I'm just worried i go back and get a third one with the same 30 cycle , then it can't be a coincidence lol

Fella, if I were you, and you did not live too far away and under 2 weeks since purchase and it is not going to be too much of a royal pain in the ass by reinstalling everything, walk in, ask for a replacement if it is another 30 cycles, it must be a system bug.

I guess you need to decide if this is going to eat away at you... Like I said before, you spend a lot of hard earned money, you pay for the experience also with Apple, so you need to walk out feeling 100% with what your hard earned cash gets you...

Perhaps give it another shot, at least it will put your mind at rest. I don't know where you are, but see if there is another local Apple Store near by. Technically brand new batteries are never charged 100% at factory and therefore not have a cycle on them yet (in my experience).

Good luck...

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.